Monumental question

Boundless uses Amazon services. With that all Boundless servers are hosted in the Amazon cloud.
This prevents any unplugging and allows servers to be in EU, US East, US West and AUS.

4 Likes

at this point ive just been waiting to hear that Boundless will meet the same fate as Crowfall. Theyā€™re gonna take down the servers while they reimagine how things are going to work.

but in the meantime iā€™m left with the question a lot of us have been asking- is it even worth renewing my gleam club anymore for a game that isnā€™t going to go anywhere.

2 Likes

im renewing my gleamclub from time to time, mainly for color signs :smiley: im stuffing my beacons with16weeks beacon fuels
with reclaim system even if you forgot about refueling you have to build again. i know, with huge areas and impressive massive builds its a pain

so if you want to keep your base without risk of being forgotten, gleamclub isnt expensive :slight_smile:

im strongly believe that under Monumental wings Boundless will fly high and wide with new possibilities :smiley:

2 Likes

D: you can join the years club like me :laughing:

4 Likes

I think this will not happen to Boundless due to the sandbox gameplay. Plans that Monumental mentioned are a better experience for new players. Shutting down servers would work against that as all player created infrastructure and shops are lost then.
Without knowing exact numbers I also think that 300+ sovereigns and gleam club pays the server bills.

Crowfall was campaign based and needs new campaigns to stay interesting which is development effort to create those. There I can understand a redesign maybe with more sandbox aspects to rely less on campaigns.

7 Likes

I wonder about this too, each of their games that I have seen is getting serious rework. But yeah, they also have very different formats as well.

Iā€™m not sure what it takes to handle the Amazon situation. I donā€™t know if they can just ā€œtake overā€ the existing accounts/clusters and whatnot. I mean I donā€™t even know if Amazon is set up to just take a running cluster and re-assign billing for it it to another account.

Presumably though the worst case would just mean a single extended downtime while the data is migrated from one set of clusters to another and re-started on the new account.

I did google mid-post to see if there was any obvious answer to this. Amazon allows users to sell un-needed cluster reservations but thatā€™s mainly for a specific reservation type and with only briefly reading itā€™s not 100% but it seems youā€™re just basically selling the paid reservation :man_shrugging:

Yep it might be significant downtime to move something like that, too. Boundlexx indicates itā€™s tracking 50 perms, 3 exos, 15 creatives, and 317 sovs this morning.

A lot of those sovereigns could probably be dropped. Depending on the work associated with it they could disable new sovs for a few weeks and ask people to let those run out. The temp worlds and simple farming planets. Still a good number of them are in use as peopleā€™s home worlds and they will definitely want them migrated if thereā€™s migration.

As far as I know wonderstruck worked hard to keep the world server very atomic and it should be as simple as starting a new cluster, uploading the world files, and starting up the worlds one by one.

If they have significant enough plans thatā€™s thereā€™s a ā€œFresh Startā€ (not saying the ā€œWā€ word :rofl:) it will be a real test of player loyalty. Some of the people still playing have been pretty clear about their reactions to that. I wonder if the result being active development by the new owners would be enough to change minds.

Iā€™ve also wondered how people would react to the notion of being able to reclaim everything, and take that onto a new set of worlds. All just idle speculation of course. I have no information on how much harder or easier that would be to do. But I do wonder how much of a pain point this will all be on the road to a full transition.

2 Likes

lol - fresh start sounds so tempting, comparing to w*** word :grin:

still, as a reminder:

4 Likes

im just thinking, fresh start in new boundlessverse with reclaim from current, new set of perma worlds to explore? maybe with perma t7-12? with mineable oort stones?
new possibilities, new horizonsā€¦
sounds tempting :slight_smile:

with all reclaims, how long it take to establish new planetary network? covering all planets with safe hubs? max a week? it hurts thinking about oort amount to feed T7 - T12 network :slight_smile:

but starting again from scratch? without anything? i think NOT

1 Like

Only way I be Happy with a fresh start is a permanent T7 Rift planet (or Higher) that I can build on :laughing: but with the reclaim from scratch Iā€™ll quit xD

Itā€™s a big deal I really want a harder planet to build on prob keep me city on Houchus and instead buy tons of plots cause Iā€™m lazy to build on T7 :laughing:

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s that big of a deal honestly, I hope not.

Being what they are AWS might actually be able to make it really easy. I just have no idea.

As for the other thing, Monty seems pretty clear. Hopefully when theyā€™re ready for the full takeover, none of us notice anything :smile:

I feel like I got in a loop :thinking:

By ā€œnot that big of a dealā€ I just mean taking over all the existing worlds, whatever that is at the time. Getting them ā€œfully in custodyā€ I guess you could say.

1 Like