Move full chests!

I would love the ability to pick up and move chests without having to empty them first. Make it so the chest is inaccessible in your inventory to prevent abuse (aka only for the purposes of moving). This would allow people to rearrange shops and bases much more efficiently.

For example. I have a series of Exo Gleam Chests…

Inside each of these chests are the corresponding gleam blocks, doors, trapdoors, chests, etc… At some point I need to rearrange my shop and it would be amazing if I could just pickup the chests and move them intact without having to empty each one just to refill it exactly as it is in the new location. I’m not looking to rearrange what’s inside the chests as these are color specific the contents will never really change. I will always want the corresponding gleam items in the same colored chest.

And if I wanted to at that point if I were moving items from the traditional storage blocks to another area, I could drop a chest and clear out an entire wall of items, then make a single trip to the new location and place them appropriately. Making one trip instead of dozens of trips.

Would love to see this type of functionality in the game.

6 Likes

Me and the 5 trips I took between raxxa and kol huroo this morning would really appreciate this. :+1:

2 Likes

we need in game U-Haul trucks

1 Like

Even having to craft a custom tool in order to be able to do this would be perfectly fine. Just so long as the option existed in the game in some way. I imagine most people would be happy to craft/buy a tool that would allow them to do this any time they were looking at having to move their bases (which happens pretty frequently).

1 Like

I just try to avoid moving. And if I do move within my base I setup a temporary portal, even if its only going 100-200m.

Seems like a waste of oort tho.

I support OP :slight_smile:

Last time this was suggested, James mentioned they were trying a beacon collapse system or something like that. Im sure they have been working on something to help us move large quantities items.

I support this as long as contents remain inaccessible while moving.
I had item indexed the 50 planets and stored it at base on Kada and needed to move it to Gyosha with mixing it up. Essentially 50 round trips to ensure nothing got mixed up due to no control over auto-super-stacking.

1 Like

being able to move chest would be quite broken i think (much like shulker boxes in mc) but maybe being able to move the chests 1 block at a time (kinda like pushing or pulling them).

Then they would only be used for those annoying times where you need to move a big storage box over a block or a few plots

The relevant post and thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That only works if you are moving your entire beacon. IMO not the same subject. Though also not a horrible idea, though I think that will add a lot more complexity to the issue…

As long as you cannot access the chest while it is in your inventory I don’t see why you think this would be any different than pushing blocks around? Pickup a chest with all its contents, those contents cannot be used or accessed until the chest is placed down again. If you really wanted you could even put a timer on it becoming available for say an hour or something to prevent people from dropping it and grabbing something out of it then picking it right back up.

Let them pickup and drop the chest as often as they like, but the timer resets on it every time you place the chest it restarts the one hour countdown. That way you can get the benefit without little to no risk of this having any sort of significant abuse options available. But instead of some travelling back and forth for an hour to transfer the items, its a quick trip, then simply a one hour wait for it to become available again.

1 Like

Well of course you shouldn’t be able to access the storage from your inventory lol. Well because you could carry a bunch of these and just throw down a beacon on the move and have a huge inventory. Boxes in boxes etc.

I don’t think it should be that easy to transfer items across planets, is my opinion. Or maybe a sanctum storage type deal. But being able to pick something up and move it like a companion cube in the Portal games is what I have in mind

The thread itself was about a tool that can move full chests, that post was the dev response to the idea. So the thread itself is about the same idea, but I guess the devs see collapsing the beacon as a (at least partial) solution to it.

1 Like

Collapsing a beacon into something that is then moved to your home beacon is handy when moving and such, but sometimes I’m building away from my home beacon and need to clear some areas or over time I have moved so many tools and building mats to it that when it’s done I need to make 20 trips to move everything back home.

Right now I’ve started to resort to plopping down a minter at a building site so I can mint excess materials right away tho I probably should not do that with rocks and convert them to stones/refined first, haha…