Mud, Gravel, Compact Silt and Sand

I know there have been posts bought up in the past about these things, however I think it’s possibly time that devs seriously consider what to do with these blocks.

MUD: Personally I detest the mud block and wish it would be used for something even if it is just for one or two different building blocks (that look even remotely nice). We’ve been waiting for some time for something to be done with it…_just saying_😕

Sand: There are many different colours of sand in this game and that could be put to major use (in my opinion). It would be really nice to see it’s current use ‘extended’ with respect of the colours. Perhaps different sand and/or soil combinations could produce different colours of glass. IMAGINE THE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS YOU COULD MAKE???!!

Compact Silt and Gravel: USELESS :triumph:

2 Likes

Just on the topic of stained glass: this is impossible as blocks do not support partial transparency. But I agree that it would be nice to see these blocks used for something.

1 Like

But there’s a possibility that the coding could be tweaked to display just a transparent colour not partial transparency. Given the fact that the current ‘glass’ is just a blank/empty block with a black border.

1 Like

Compact silt makes a pretty convincing couch if chiselled just right… also bunk beds :rofl: but yeah nothing else

4 Likes

LMAO :joy: :joy::joy::heart_eyes:

It’s as useless as gravel. Hence why I’ve not even listed it in the post and only title :joy:

If the colour was transparent, it would still be completely clear, and so the colour wouldn’t be visible. For any colour to be visible, and to have any tint at all, the transparency would need to be partial, as in not 0 or 1

1 Like

You can always donate the mud and gravel. we use alot of it in the hunts :slight_smile:

1 Like

^^ yup actually true

Been there, done that… seems Mud isn’t at the top of the priority list as a building material and crafting resource… not sure why!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Compact Silt can make a good roofing material…

1 Like

Or, make colored glass opaque. Just make it emit light, and adjust the brightness to whatever is on the other side. Or maybe just on the brightest side. Then it would look like the glass let through sunlight when inside a building, kinda.

2 Likes

Given you’re saying this, it could be done that way then?

Wouldn’t that make it gleam then?! :thinking::confused:

@Xaldafax all I use them for is filling in lava or gaps where I need to get over. Even then, it’s extremely annoying to have to take up inventory space with such useless stuff :unamused:

Almost.
Unless they decide to also let the light behave more like it would if there was a window.
Gleam has a pretty short range for the light.

But yeah, almost like gleam. But different texture/look perhaps. And at night it would not shine or shine very little.

No, I’m saying it can’t be done

I use gravel, silt, and sand for outlining where I am building things. Place holder blocks for the most part. So I can understand more of what something is going to look like or how much space whatever the idea is going to take up.

2 Likes

Sand is used to make glass …maybe in a future update it could be mixed with gravel to make concrete blocks … I also use gravel as scaffolding when I’m building up high to move around the outside of what I’m building plus lava hopping when caving. Haven’t found a use for the mud yet.

2 Likes

Gravel could be used to make concrete mix and then you smelt the concrete mix to make concrete blocks. A similar way you use clay and stones to make bricks.

Then again, Gravel could be added to the brick recipe or even a new brick recipe after the one we have to make additional bricks, maybe decor bricks? Maybe?

Mud could be something that is used later on when farming features are added into the game after 1.0+. It could be placed in the Mixer with maybe some Silted blocks to create farm land blocks to grow crops.

The thing we need to understand is there might be intended uses for these blocks and items in the game but the features that make them useful aren’t in the game right now.

3 Likes

It is only useless because they haven’t added it to crafting or taken the time to create bricks and some of the other ideas people asked for.

1 Like