My First impressions

Ok so before everyone starts jumping me… i love this game… i love the concept… cant wait till full release!

Now that has been said…

• the tutorial O.o OMG! its a tutorial! it should be nub freindly i had to ask @the-moebius why does it ask for me to create late game stuff without explaining its late game stuf (compactor/refiner etc) and i also had to ask him how do i get compact coal to generate spark… if i need spark to generate compact coal??? and he had to tell me… i could just as easily use raw coal to generate the compact coal for better spark… and then i realised i cant compact anything without power… and he gave me some batteries but then he also explaine the colors of diferent batteries power different things!!! (yes… the tutorial could do with a LOT more work!0

• took me just over 24 hours to realise this is not a solo p[layers game (like minecraft) i thought this was supposed to be accessable to… everyone??? (now i don’t mind working in a comunity at all ad the Aqua chaps are quite nice… what with Moebius showing me the ropes and then letting me know how i can help in return and etc - you want something? we will give it, but could you also help us? etc) - a lot of other people though (it seems going by the forum) do not like working in groups and so… this is not exactly accessable to the solo person! - yes i prefer comunities… others will not

• Getting lost VERY easily… i thought those atlas things were your way around the universe? nope apparently they are just resource maps (which are still useless because it does not show your pointr on the map in comparisson… anywhere)

• (from playing eve-online) the player created economy - a good idea yes… and it can work very well… however you are always going to get a lot of people who charge E.G only! -150k for 10 gem tools when someone else will only charge 20k… however onece it is realised that a lot of people will spend the extra coin… then everyone will start doing it at 150k/200k ++ etc… how does that help the noobs at all? - is this not their game as well?

• which leads in to… private servers obviously this is going to be a thing concerning the feedback on monetiation post by James … now… because of this… and the above issues… i am all for a private server, but doubt i would be able to afford one (not much has been said about them yet anyway) - you see… if the main game is going to be one for all and all for me (for those who don’t like comunities) then the safe place for people like myself would be my own server, but if i can’t afford my own server then i can not have fun in the game! Wait didn’t you just say you like comunities??? - yes i did… the private server response was an example only - to those who have the mind-set mentioned above

In closing: as i say at the start - i love this game… i love the idea… i hope to play it for years to come… just please devs… please think hard about things and what situations certain things may ccause/start/etc in the long run :wink:

P.s - when is full release anyway? it has been at least a yearly thing (it seems) for the past 2-3 years… Relesing this year! etc :wink:

Hope to meet more peple in game… peace!

5 Likes

The Objectives is the tutorial the feats are the Achievements. I don’t remember anything in the objectives dealing with compacting coal I could be wrong… As far as im concerned the Objectives do a great job at explaining the most important key features of this game that would answer some of your latter issues, had you actually done the objectives.

Blockquote took me just over 24 hours to realise this is not a solo p[layers game (like minecraft) i thought this was supposed to be accessable to… everyone??? (now i don’t mind working in a comunity at all ad the Aqua chaps are quite nice… what with Moebius showing me the ropes and then letting me know how i can help in return and etc - you want something? we will give it, but could you also help us? etc) - a lot of other people though (it seems going by the forum) do not like working in groups and so… this is not exactly accessable to the solo person! - yes i prefer comunities… others will not

Never got this impression in the slightest, I have been playing it much like minecraft alone for the first couple weeks of playing, until now, that I have convinced my friends to play too… I never had any issue as a solo player. Compacted Fuel is a luxury you can use Tree Trunks for fuel, Peat for fuel the list goes on, nothing says you need compacted coal.

Anything that is hidden deep in skills is typically a luxury that denotes the play style of the character. For instance a crafter is going to spend points into things like compacting and mass craft, because that’s his style of play. A Hunter will max out his vitality his armor his weapon mastery why because those help his style of play… If a crafting character needs a mat that a hunter provides then he buys it… Creation of basic economy…

Blockquote Getting lost VERY easily… i thought those atlas things were your way around the universe? nope apparently they are just resource maps (which are still useless because it does not show your pointr on the map in comparisson… anywhere)

The Objectives go over this multiple times in different ways you get shown how to go to sanctum and use the portal there too go home. You get taught how to mark a location, you get taught how to use warp conduits to go to said location, you get taught how to mark a destination on another planet, your even taught how to make an active Portal. All of this stuff builds on the previous topic. With the most basic of which being " How to press ESC, to return to Sanctum and use the un opened portal to go home"

Which has me wonder HOW you can be lost?!? When you can just press ESC to go home at any time…

Blockquote (from playing eve-online) the player created economy - a good idea yes… and it can work very well… however you are always going to get a lot of people who charge E.G only! -150k for 10 gem tools when someone else will only charge 20k… however onece it is realised that a lot of people will spend the extra coin… then everyone will start doing it at 150k/200k ++ etc… how does that help the noobs at all? - is this not their game as well?

This is hands down one of the best economy’s I have seen in a game since ultima online, the shop system is implemented so well… As to answer your post is really simple… If its too expensive, just dont buy it… Also your thought process that the big guys are going to run the prices up is backwards to the reality inside of the game. The big shops in this game drive the prices down and the little guy finds it hard to sell for cheeper… Certainly not the other way around…

Blockquote which leads in to… private servers obviously this is going to be a thing concerning the feedback on monetiation post by James … now… because of this… and the above issues… i am all for a private server, but doubt i would be able to afford one (not much has been said about them yet anyway) - you see… if the main game is going to be one for all and all for me (for those who don’t like comunities) then the safe place for people like myself would be my own server, but if i can’t afford my own server then i can not have fun in the game! Wait didn’t you just say you like comunities??? - yes i did… the private server response was an example only - to those who have the mind-set mentioned above

So I am very skeptical about the private servers myself… I have two main concerns

1. Private servers will take people away from the main servers and dilute the population but the answer I get from the devs about that concern is that private servers will be linked to the main servers which then has me saying well how is that private?!?

2)The other concern I have is that private servers will be abused to get a leg up in the economy, server owner hacking in diamonds… Server Settings making the aquiring of harder mats far easier and then this destroys the economy on the offical servers that the private servers are linked too?!?

However this team seems pretty awesome at adapting and over coming so if any team can make this work its likely these guys!

2 Likes

There are going to be two types of rented worlds:

1. Private worlds - that do not connect to the main universe. These you can host yourself, mod, hack, etc.

2. Public worlds - which are part of the main universe. You will pay for these, get to control a few safe things (like who may visit it and what level it is) but it is hosted by Wonderstruck and follows all the important rules of the rest of the galaxy - no hacks or exploits of any kind on these.

2 Likes

Well then I believe its a bad idea… Wurm Online was killed bye creating Wurm Unlimited which basically gave players the ability to host there own servers… There was no faster way to kill that game… it profited the developer in the short term but in the long term it crushed that game…

Like Wurm this game is niche and particular to a playerbase it doesnt have the type of population needed to spread it all out across private servers and survive…

That is my opinion, your welcome to your own but I think its a bad idea…

1 Like

hmm, I’m not sure about this… not sure if you’re on the discord at all, but what I’ve been noticing in this game’s economy is that shops are actually competing for LOWER prices not higher… if you price your stuff higher than the leading/most advertised shop, then you won’t get any (or hardly any) business… which actually is what has been motivating players to price competitively.

I agree with you on the atlases, they could use a bit of fine tuning. like more frequent updates.

2 Likes

@Sulfurblade to get rid of your confusion this is a first impressions thread so… i am 100% nub still ad only interaction i have had so far is with Aqua

so

• refiner/extractor/compactor this is the tutorial quest (i am told this is late game stuff) - concerning the coal… you are correct it does not say you need it in the tutorial… but also i was unaware until being told about how coal works exactly… and did not realise you could use other fuel sources… *hence yes… the tutorial needs a lot of work!!!

• getting lost sanctum travel yes i know this and how to do so… HOWEVER… to a 100% nub… i have not found any other place apart from aqua/therka market… i want to get to XX munteen… and don’t want to walk 100s of hours trying to find it!

• finally stop picking it apart JUST to pick it apart because your some kind of genius! :wink:

First impressions dude :wink: (and personal opinion)

3 Likes

as i said this was an e.g only point of view (which stayed with me from eve-online) which is why i mention it that way…

ah, wasn’t sure what you meant by that. anyways just wanted to let you know how things work around here :slight_smile: its more friendly than usual.

3 Likes

i mean of course - things will be things (fears will be fears?) the way my mind works… is… if you have a very bad time with a specific game mechanic from another game… you will live in fear of it for a very long time until proven otherwise… that was my original point in the eve-online part of it

but yes… ok and fair enough - i have only experienced on side off the game and one comunity (Aqua)… because thats where i ended up… i am not saying anyone’s in game view (you cant/shouldnt think this till late game) is any more correct than another’s (what are they talking about??? i did this on day one!!!)

i gues i am still learning and - everyone learns in their own way, in their own time…

however… i still maintain specific things could do with a lot more explaining (in-game on the hud/tutorial etc)

you should be able to get these machines pretty early on, at least that’s how it is for most ppl :wink:, idk who told you that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
In terms of an improvement of the general information you get about the game, the knowledge menu should eventually get an overhaul, and right-clicking on any item will tell you about it, for example right-clicking on compact peat will tell you its a fuel source, or any coal. (Maybe the tutorial should mention this, I cant remember if it does)

Also, you can save any location in the places menu (U) and clicking on your current location. you can then warp there or set it as a destination on your compass. This should really help with getting back to places. Additionally, the capitals of worlds have a lot of portals, which help with getting to different planets and major locations too.

1 Like

lolz :grinning:

2 Likes

its a case of… i had to buy the compactor and etc and use a lot of coin doing so… i could not create any of those because it was skill based

And the only time i saw fuel metioned in the tutorial was wehen making and placing the furnace… told we to place and then fill with fuel not tfelling me if i could use wood/peat etc… so i naturally found a spot and started digging for coal :slight_smile: etc
And @the-moebius supplied the other stuff which was amazing of him to do so

As for the places menue, i thought it had to be proper locations only (thats how it seems to read anyway in the tutorial) i had no ide it could be co-ords or even how/where to find co-ords? - and as for setting your cown co-ords… you need to know them first :wink: or else end up trying to climb 200 blocks high in the skly/ swim in lava :wink:

yeah, I didn’t know about peat for a long time!
Maybe you tried to get a compactor slightly too early? what level are you currently? you shouldn’t really need to get a compactor or anything before you have the skill points to do so I don’t think, or was this all to do with the misunderstanding over needing compact coal? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

level 14 now… and it was the latter (ok so i need compact coal for spark? but i cant get compact coal WITHOUT spark… is this a bug?) thats when moebius said i could use raw coal as spark…

@willcrutchley

I see, that makes sense

1 Like

at the beginning a lot of people think this is just… minecraft with a better graphic

the thing is that this is absolutely not minecraft :japanese_ogre:

i’m mostly a solo player, more or less my only contat in-game with other players are for two reasons:

1. group hunting for falling meteorites, as the lvl of the meteorites, along with spawns difficulty and reward, increase with the number of players
  2. to sell gathered materials to big shop owners, i’m not interested in running a shop myself and this way i get coins with wich i buy things i don’t want to craft myself (consider that my crafter character can craft everything - except hight tier food)

but most of the time i’m a solo player who loves to go hunting alone, i just love to roam planets launching myself with grapples and find efficient ways to kill everything, if possible in some artistical way :japanese_ogre: but i also die a lot (max as soon as possible your skill “defeat penalty reduction” as without it any tool/weapon you have in your inventory/hand will lose 25% of it’s durability)

Atlasses are someway an advanced toolto use, as it works for pure explorations to go from a region to another, easily it can get you to surface resources and become advanced when you look for underground resources; for the last one, you will have to apply your own in-game experience to know wich is the best dept/altitude to find what you’r looking for (for gems thare are very well detailed threads showing depts/altitudes and biomes - but for all the other res you ll have to find yourself or ask to somebody)

if you can, use the Discord different channels, it helped me a lot to move around in the first 3 weeks and even if you play solo-style, there you can have the community help :wink:

in-game i see on the radar that other peoples go around in groups of 2 or 3, so i would say it’s not a solo game and it can be a solo game, it aim to be an MMO with the possibility to enjoy it also as solo (it is “boundless” after all :wink: )

we all agree with you, the tutorial surely has to be updated :smiley: but it tries in a way to guide you, in another way it gives you problems to solve (objectives and feats, J key)

also objectives and feats are a good way to earn coins, specially at the beginning

overhall your “first impression” thread is very nice :slight_smile:

EDIT: i feel like i have missed to say 2 things:
first one: one of the reason for me to gather and sell resources to buy things that i could craft myself, is to let the economy to work around, there are people out there who likes to craft more than me :wink: that leads to the second thing: boundless is starting to really fit different play-style, not only solo or multi-player, also hunter/adventurer or crafter/shop owner, gatherer/explorer and i coupled those role as in my opinion they can go togheter, but it’s just my opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

and the community is awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

that guy in sanctum should gave a frequently asked question menu :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I solo.
I buy and sell stuff. - This should be in the tutorial :D, its an mmo, use the market(s)

A galactic atlas would be nice.

1 Like

ok so first of all… i appologize… i just took for granted they hadn’t updated certain tutorial text (which this video now confirms they have done)

So yes… at least going by certain things in game… its my fault that i did not read :wink:

and second, due to the video in question (and as i maintain in the video) - i was never hiding… i was just done with the forum (due to reasons known, and the past being the past and etc - which is in the past, so enough said) - does not mean i cannot be sorry or appologize :wink: because i am… and i am :slight_smile:

Peace

1 Like

so, once again… from myself… i apologize :wink: