My impression of the new releases (#144+)

As Zerus says, it stops the scenario where a new player spawns into the world and places their crafting table down, loads their resources into it, then when the crafting menu is open another player comes along and steals everything. That new player now has to go find all their resources again, or more likely, they’ll quit and never play again.

Like in some MMOs where veterans used to kite powerful monsters to starting areas. Yes, it was funny but for new players it made the game instantly unplayable.

@luke-turbulenz @Zerus But if a player places down a machine outside a beacon AFTER a tutorial which explains to them that nothing outside a beacon is safe, then it’s entirely their fault.
It’s completely unnecessary to punish players who can follow a tutorial and understand it because of people who can’t.

If you really, really, really have to hold hands then why not make it an option in the settings? It’s on per default and if you want to place machines outside a beacon you can go into your settings and disable that safety net. You’d get a big warning message which would only go away if you agreed to have read it and that you know what the consequences of building outside a beacon are.

I’d still think it’s unnecessary because of the tutorial which hopefully will cover all those things but it’s a compromise I’d be willing to make.

1 Like

But it does serve a purpose - as it enables the permission system on the items within the beacon. It also stops the world regen from triggering - meaning that your little camp will still be there if you happen to be offline more than expected.

(I see other people have already commented on this issue.)

(Btw - I’m personally in favour of allowing players to place and use entities outside of beacons. But once you start digging into the issues specifically around many-players in the world and a persistent online game it isn’t quite as simple as first appears.)

I floated the idea of making the beacon asset like a generator and requiring that entities needed to be connected to the generator. Then it would thematically make sense that to craft something away from home that you needed to place a generator to get the party started.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I can follow your explanation.
The permissions are only for beacons and things in beacons right? How does “being able to place entities outside of a beacon” mess with the permission system for things in a beacon?
Wouldn’t just all the players have permission to things placed outside of a beacon?

I’d make it so if somethings not in a beacon it’s fair game for everyone. That’s why I don’t quite see how it’s connected to the permission system.
(I’ll comment on the rest after I understand that^^)

Also, yes I know world regend would trigger if you build something outside of a beacon. But you should be able to make the decision, if you want to risk that, on your own.

1 Like

Sure, that’s one way of looking at it but if I look at it from a developer perspective then I’d rather have the restriction. While it does force you to place a beacon, that’s really not much of a restriction and I’m unlikely to lose players over it. I’m very likely to lose players who get their stuff stolen because that is a very frustrating experience.

It could also not be the player’s fault. They could have just placed their crafting bench outside the beacon area on accident. Sure, you could say that they should have seen the colored highlighting when the placed the block, but what if they are colorblind or just made an honest mistake? I don’t think players deserve to be punished in that case by either having their stuff regen or be stolen.

Again, I’m not saying there aren’t trade offs here. There definitely are. I just think that what you gain with this restriction is far greater than what you lose.

I think we have to agree to disagree here. I think you lose more than you gain with it.

But like I said a simple option where you can toggle if you can place entities outside a beacon or not, with a warning if you turn it off, would satisfy both of us.

2 Likes

I was responding to the suggestion that the beacon doesn’t serve any purpose other than restricting.

The beacon serves the purpose of defining permissions and regen. (These may not be important to you in this case - as you say - without a beacon there are no permissions and regen is not restricted.)

Yes.

This is a valid configuration of entities outside of beacons.

I want to greatly improve the communication in this area, for example: player in / out of beacon, block targeted in / out of beacon, block targeted affected / unaffected by regen, entity targeted locked / unlocked, etc. At the moment this information is not easy to understand for new (and old) players.

3 Likes

Oh then there was a missunderstanding^^ I didn’t want to suggest that beacons serve no purpose. It’s quite the opposite, I know they are vital to the game because of the exact things you mentioned as a response.

I suggested that the rule “you can’t place machines outside a beacon” doesn’t serve any purpose. Or better it doesn’t serve any additional purpose which wouldn’t be there if that rule didn’t exist.
That means beacons would still protect your things inside a beacon and you would still be more inclined to stay in one place even if that rule didn’t exist.

This rule is more of a safety net for players who are unattentive or not careful enough. I’d surely like to not punish them (Especially since I’m not the most careful myself at times^^) but not at the cost of restricting those who can follow a simple tutorial and know what it means when they build things outside of a beacon.

2 Likes

I just wanted to point out that warp conduits can be crafted completely by hand (Timber + Rock). The only way you end up stranded is if you don’t have enough coin to warp back.

3 Likes

Also FYI this shouldn’t be the case.

The game should alway allow you to warp home even without enough gold. The game should be configured to allow negative gold only in the case when you’re paying to warp home.

So you can always get home and then need to spend time recovering financially before heading out again.

6 Likes

What exactly would define “Home” in this case? Would it be any beacon that you own on another planet or would we have to specify a “Home” beacon?

Thanks for the information. I didn’t test it yet because I always build my conduits in the crafting bench. Because all other items that are on the bench, are not hand craftable too, I thought this applies also to the conduits.

How exactly is “home” defined ? My home world I picked as I started the game ? my beacon location I placed first (or is the oldest) ?

Edit: @Zerus: you were 5 seconds faster with the question :smiley:

Edit2: @james: I also don’t like the idea of not being able to build outside a beacon. I like the idea of @KuroKuma to make this a “security setting” and let people who really like / need to build outside allow them too if they confirm that they are aware of the risk.

2 Likes

Maybe a warning (requiring confirmation) when placing machines/containers/etc outside of a beacon would do it?

Though, some portion of the player base won’t read it

Or that yea, any kind of warning should be enough. And everyone who doesn’t read the warnings has to blame only themself.

2 Likes

and

Yes - your primary beacon is your “home” beacon. You should be able to control this if you wish to change your home. But you always have 1 home location and you shouldn’t be able to delete it.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see your justification for coins appearing out of thin air :grin:
I still think that calling it “Oort Dust” (or whatever) and letting it drop by every rare creature/ore/etc. would be more lore-friendly. You could justify it by some lore mumbo-jumbo like "The tech of the ancient Oortians left the worlds enriched with Oort Dust and new civilizations started to use this Oortian remains as currency etc etc.

2 Likes

what really bugs me is the fact that you can’t see tour own hand when you are holding a hammer or axe ect. i think it would make the game look a lot cooler in my opinion for some reason i can’t explain. also, there should be randomly generated structures like (cringe) minecraft villages and jungle/ desert temples. (except the villages would be ruins) I KNOW THAT TITANS ARE LIKE TEMPLES PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT 1000000 TIMES ALREADY!! i just think that there should be other oortian ruins to explore and bosses inside them to beat and gain loot from. and they can’t be really small like they are in minecraft, im thinking more large like slightly smaller than the titans. it just seems more boundlesslike to me, and if they don’t add it, i will be sorely disappointed in the devs for tainting this game’s great potential.

i agree. i think a part of what makes this game so good is the rich storyline

Apart from all the prefabs other people are working at right now. (Which look amazing btw but are not as big as you want the structures to be^^)
As far as I know there are still plans for dungeons and stuff like that.
A lot of us would also like to see them so something like that will surely be in the game^^

oh ok thx. cant wait to see them. this game is going to be so good by the time of release

1 Like