Nerf XP + Memes

Pepe was weaponized by the alt right and Russian propaganda machine 3-4 years ago. I wouldn’t call it recent. Many people are just recently learning about it though which is why propaganda is such a useful tool. It can seem incredibly innocent but be terribly insidious.

2 Likes

From 2008-2015 it was largely fine then right? So 2015-2019? Is that the proper timeline of the Pepe meme and it’s change?

Pretty sure it’s a frog crying tho. He’s sad about his rock XP.

4 Likes

Well, and even the artist hates that people are using it that way and wants to reclaim it…

The Hindus are probably annoyed that someone co-opted their swastika… but it’s a little late to roll that back.

2 Likes

I got you a new one

frog

Edit: and he is crying about the loss of xp

2 Likes

By 2016, the character’s image had been appropriated[8] as a symbol of the controversial alt-right movement.[9] The Anti-Defamation League added certain incarnations of Pepe the Frog to their database of hate symbols in 2016, adding that not all Pepe memes are racist.[10]Since then, Pepe’s creator has publicly expressed his dismay at Pepe being used as a hate symbol.[11]

Call it whatever you want, it doesn’t change the fact it is now an image that is used as a symbol of hate. The swastika was turned from a religious symbol so a symbol of genocidal hate with the flip of the symbol.

If you want to choose to ignore what Pepe is used for today, that’s fine, but being cute about it is pretty offensive to those impacted by racial hate.

Censorship is bad.

2 Likes

So is genocide, segregation, and just terrible humans in general.

2 Likes

I’m going to continue to do what I always do. Chuck it at random people or give it to my guild mates.

2 Likes

I’m glad we’re in agreement then =D

4 Likes

Hmm never seen it used as a hate symbol. Guess I’ll have to look it all up some time.

oh no! muh OP!

It spawned out of the darker corners of the web like 4chan and some seedy subreddits on Reddit. They’ve also taken the ‘ok’ sign (you know index finger and thumb in a circle and three remaining fingers extended?) and weaponized that as well. You’ll see them flash it on camera/live recordings. One of the coast guard officers about a year ago was removed from his position as a result of it. One of the women on kavanaughs staff flashed it while he was being questioned by the senate.

Alt-right movements across the world are circling around these otherwise innocent things because then they get to cry censorship and free speech when they are called out on it.

If an organization is appropriating Memes then I would hardly fear it lol

2 Likes

Are we not adequately marketing Boundless on 4chan or The Daily Stormer? Maybe that’s why we’re having a retention problem.

Ahh that’s why I don’t know. I hate 4chan and more or less hate reddit. Lol guess you could say I live under a rock since all the “cool kids” use them. Course I don’t have fb anymore either. Good riddance on that one.

They covered it on the local news in Washington state heh. Maybe because of the troll farm that got busted in Seattle.

Could we be doing it too much and that’s actually why we have a retention problem?

1 Like