New Block / Chisel Types 2021 Survey

For new block suggestions - I’d love some aged options like crumbling stone, mossy stone, worn or patina covered metals, etc. I’d like to build dirty steampunk stuff, shoddy pirate villages, and crumbling ruins.
Having brass colored metal stuff would be nice for the steampunk stuff as well.

Partially unrelated, I really want an ornate iron door.

9 Likes

There isn’t one?

I second the “worn” materials. Weathered wood, weathered concrete and weathered metal please too.

Maybe they could be made with a regular block and gravel in the mixer (or a metal block and water for patina)

• Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

If they did manage to get curves working well in the game, I imagine people could do some pretty amazing things with concave and convex curved chisels (You’ll have to forgive my lack of artistic talent).

Boundless

24 Likes

I can’t figure out how to make it and can’t find it anywhere, if it is a thing.

Brightness Chisel which changes luminosity on gleam blocks. This was already floated by the devs and I know a lot of people want this.

11 Likes

I could fix my rooves if I could get this shape…

2 Likes

I’d like doors that look like all the other blocks as well so we could do hidden doors since we lack sticky pistons

2 Likes

That might be the least possible idea because it would take up 32,000 spaces in the block file. There is a separate block for each of the chisel shapes in each of the colors. My idea for a workaround to that would be a new block with some characteristics of liquid, where it can occupy the same space and only shows in the gaps. I was thinking a super opaque glass look or something more like concrete/grout.

For my chisel suggestion, we should be able to make the existing chisel shapes smaller, like the lattice chisel does. Then conversely to make the amount chiseled from the first hit of a precise chisel smaller itself. In effect, it would be like being able to move a latticed block with no arms to the corners of the space rather than the center.

Of course I’d love a lot more than that and want to have every idea I’ve seen so far implemented, but design-wise this would be pretty simple and it would provide more options to us for realistic trim and texturing.

Think about times you wanted to transition one block style into another but 2 iron ‘corner’ blocks make that massive triangular chunk, or you wanted a baseboard to transition interior walls into the floor and again those corner pieces looked way too bulky. This would solve that and hundreds of other design issues where you need something less clunky.

For accurate design, think smaller.

3 Likes

Block types I would find cool:

• carpet/fabric
  • sandstone, limestone, shale, slate
  • granite, quartz
  • ceramic, clay, adobe, terracotta
  • bamboo
  • asphalt
  • tiles, porcelain
10 Likes

I once suggested to have a system similar to fluids but with 2 block types instead of 1 block and a fluid, that would net you the same result, the green block in your example then would be the fluid like part in the other block and would fill it up.

Sadly this was not possible if I remember correctly

2 Likes

I’d like to change the size of the spiders/ oorty’s and other items. Maybe the lattice chisel Could do 4 sizes like it already does?

8 Likes

YES! THIS! I need this inside corner block.

1 Like

Love these! :+1:

The block type I perhaps want most, suggested it some time back: flowering hedge block. Could be chiseled, and I think would be very useful in landscaping. Something like this-

16 Likes

Oh, can one of the sizes be GARGANTUAN? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Decorative type blocks that when you put them together they form a larger version of the block. Example the end of an outside staircase might have a sphere on a capstone type block. So if you have a larger staircase rail end you would put 4 deco sphere blocks together or eight to make the deco blocks bigger. Also more decrotive items other then some tables and chairs that would work like I mentioned above. Statues. Gargoyles, and maybe some geometric shapes would be a good start.

2 Likes

Today I present a special request from @CoralSkye, and of course many other :boundless: Citizens
Tetragonal Lattices

Tetragonal Lattice 1/3M - 1/4M - 1/6M - 1/12M based on the Lattice shapes we already have in game

But are these actually possible ?
Or do we need the extended voxel technology for this

Otherwise, we end up with a lot of messy corner block connections

Or we might need a lot of different filler Block shapes.

This would actually be the most desired block shape
But is this possible within the Boundless VoxelEngine?

I do not know?
Maybe someone from Dev-HQ? :smiley:
But the result does provide very nice blocks to build with.
Imagine what you could build with them …
… when the lattice arms are chisel able just like the normal Lattice Blocks :+1: :+1:

Happy :boundless: Building

14 Likes

Can we get curve, circle, cylinder type chisels to round corners instead of always slanting them?

Also, please please let me have a decorative trim chisel that allows for small accents. It would be like the opposite of the lattice chisel, leaving the long edges or small corners for trim on rooms or outside walls around windows.

I think it will help clean up my build and look a bit more appealing.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this ^^ :heart: It does look quite difficult to possibly achieve and I believe I explained the idea poorly. That’s my fault though :sweat_smile:

My idea was a diagonal lattice that would connect the normal lattice shapes at diagonal angles.

Looking at your shape, if you rotate it 45 degrees and make it a diamond shape instead of a cross, that should work with the existing lattice chisel shapes.

As someone who has spent the past two years chiselling a giant diamond, I’d actually like to see chisels replaced entirely with selectable block shapes which intelligently connect together at intersections.

For example, you could equip a block, use a (radial?) selection menu to choose a shape, then place them down without the need to chisel every single block. When two sloped, stepped, etc. blocks touch at a corner, they would automatically change to reflect that, similar to how auto-tiling works in 2D game engines. You could use a transformation chisel to manually reconfigure individual blocks, and maybe use the current chisels to change the type of the block similar to how they act with latticed blocks.

1 Like

Flight potion for building

You can’t damage creatures while flying to keep it from being a hunt buff if people prefer that