New Chisels

I have mined a lot on Vulpto and have not come upon enough gold, silver or rubies to make a tool every day. I also have mined a lot on Epsilo and have not hit gold. I might get 9 topaz in a day but I rarely hit gold even though the charts say there is more gold than topaz there. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but I am not finding the gold that is supposed to be out there.

I can understand where a tool used to gather resources can have a good payout based on its cost in materials versus what it can gather before breaking. But for a tool used to shape blocks, there is no payback. You can make a more interesting shape, but you cannot use a chisel to make coin or gather resources to make another chisel. Maybe these types of tools should be easier to craft. You already need the higher skills so I would definitely support less material cost for chisels.

I am ok with the material costs for hammers, and slingbows since they can be used to gather resources sufficient to generate a profit or at least a payback for the materials required.

1 Like

Is that assuming mass craft of everything?

I think the intention is, to make fine grade chiseling into a plausible profession … so someone who specializes in chiseling can actually hire themselves out for coin/materials etc.

Also, are you sure you need a gold chisel? The silver one is the precise slope chisel…

1 Like

in Vulpto mine there’s plenty Gold. It’s the Rubies that i cant find :confused: :sob:

1 Like

Gold and topaz should be at quite different altitudes, no? At least if I’m remembering things correctly – topaz in the mountains at like 110, gold way down near lava?

1 Like

Also considering that this tool will have to be used a lot more as you test out shapes and refine the design it shouldn’t disappear so fast.

How many times will we need to remove and replace and block and reshape it until we find something we like… especially with all the new types of cuts you can make. During all of this the chisel will be used a lot.

Not too keen on the new chisel idea.

But it is what it is…

I was mistaken, you are correct you need silver to mimic the old copper, but it still requires a lot of resources. I am not finding silver any more than I am gold.

You are probably right. I know I saw a chart at one time that had this information, I will have to try and find it again.

Yes, that assumes max crafting and gathering skills (which is fair to expect for the most complex items in the game).

1 Like

I’m not sure about that accuracy as I’v found gold near some copper in the floating mountains in munteen. No pics to support though soz >.<

Well, think about us merchants. We need to get something out of our mass craft skill. From my side i feel the crafting is not too unbalanced, maybe a little but not that much. If tools are too easy to make, merchants like me and Omni wouldn’t be able to sell them.
In the end i would just say, come sell me your silver gold and titanium and buy the tools you need. I buy silver 17 each and titanium 50 each and i sell my silver tools about 400 and titanium tools about 1500, so selling 25 silver ores for a silver tools or 30 titanium ore for a titanium tool doesn’t seem that much to me.

1 Like

Haha, I’m not disputing the values at all – and yes, I buy nearly all of my tools because I don’t much like mining. I’m glad silver/gold/titanium have a unique use now, instead of just feeling like gems’ wimpy little siblings.

@OmniUno I’d assumed that was the case but got thrown by the “it takes a minute to farm one tool”.

I do tend to overexaggerate. It takes a minute of hitting with the hammer - it takes longer to actually find the stuff to hit of course. But that time is highly subjective since I tend to hit everything I see and get distracted by all kinds of stuff… O look, a fossil!

1 Like

After a few days, I am still concerned about the amount of resources needed to make the tools to create anything other than a slope. I know the suggestion has been made several times that I can buy what I need, and at the level I am and the coin I have on hand I can do that. My concern is that Boundless is put forward as a building game. The reason I have the game is to build ( although I did enjoy the “Great Hunt”!). As a builder, there is nothing in building that generates coin except footfall and that is really a function of how close I am to a well used hub and/or market. That means I cannot buy everything I need to build. I need to gather resources. I do not mind doing this, it is the best way to get XP which gives me plots and skills. So that gives me the resources I need to build and to make some of the tools I need to build and to mine. I have not been able to come up with a steady stream of gems, gold, silver or titanium. I have the chart which tells me where to look for gems, and I might get up to 9 after mining for a couple of hours. This means I need up to three days of mining for the materials to make a tool. If I spend that effort how long will the chisel really last? will I get at least three days of using it to build? How many hits do you get for the various levels of chisel?

If you are a newer player, then you are going to have to find some one to buy resources in order to pay for a chisel. If you want a gold chisel and it costs around 600 coin, then you need to gather enough resource to sell for that amount plus the resources you need to actually build something. It seems that being a builder really means a part time builder and a full time miner or crafter.

1 Like

I admit high end chissling is sort of a rich persons sport at the moment but hopefully a little balancing in the leveling department will make buying them a little easier.
at lower levels however those higher end chisels should last awhile as you probably have a smaller aria to work on. just remember to shelve them before you head out on your next adventure.

Yes I shelve my high end weapons the same way unless I am going to a t3 world. And if I am looking for wood, I leave my good hammers at home. Need the space anyway for resources

1 Like

:man_singer: :musical_note::notes:

4 Likes

If you’re a builder looking to earn some coin from your chisel skills, I suggest you apply for (or advertise for!) Work contracts such as the recent one I posted:

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

In order to help better quantify the concern about chisels:

• Chiseling is a basic ability - it should cost almost nothing
  • I need to be able to craft chisels myself easily
  • I need to be able to craft chisels myself with effort
  • I’m OK trading for chisels - they’re just too expensive to get
  • I’m OK trading for chisels - they just don’t last long enough

0 voters