New idea -- music skill path

Hey Devs,

This one might be a bit out there, but I feel like it could really bring the community together and create fun interactive gameplay between people.

What if we had a music skill path with a number of skills and there were oortian musical instruments that a crafter could make for musicians to play?

-We could see cantinas or pubs open up with music playing in them.
-we would get a new skill career different then others
–music could provide buffs to other players in range of musicians :: for example- attack buff, defense buff, build speed buff, run speed buff, gathering buff, mining buff, health buff, energy regen buff, and the list can go on.
– this would bring life to cities and gathering points for the community.

A lot could be done with this skill path and it would be fun to walk into pubs and see in game friends hanging out and getting buffed for their next activity.

Edit: this could add a new crafting machine to the tech tree with is a music instrument builder machine too

@james

Edit: this could also be fun if also used as a battle bard Haha, someone playing drums while a group fights meteors

16 Likes

I think this is a wonderful idea for a class of AOE buff supports. Could still get some res and healing skills, but also some fun and interesting AOE effects. Like fall damage, movement speed, grapple speed/range, and then you’ve got a cool support roaming class, or strength and health buffs from a song, and now you’ve got your warrior bard.

1 Like

I would love to see someone, or a group, dancing and playing under a meteorhunt to buff the mobs with confusion…

2 Likes

Yeah, and this would bring a new commodity to sell with a use wear and tear, creating another facet of economy for shop owners. Win win in my opinion, plus I like the idea of a bard in combat playing sweet sweet toons

Great idea!

This is a cool idea. I also think
It could be cool to set certain game tracks to beacons. So for Reapers you could set an Erie background music while your in that beacon.
And then when I get my fog blocks. The whole atmosphere around there would be creepy and awesome.

1 Like

Can’t we just get an in game music player that we can craft that has a 25 block radius for the sound along with sound dampening blocks?

It probably is possible to allow the music player to play music videos off YouTube. This could allow for some interesting atmospheric experiences when going into someone’s place. Sounds of gravel or rocks being shifted under weight or tavern music being played in a shop or marketplace.

Definitely has a good set of possibilities. I just don’t like the idea of having more Boons to forge for.

1 Like

Love the idea :heart_eyes: give me a trumpete (or some such)!

1 Like

sunken town mall will be hiring boundanists and didgeryoort players in future keep eye out on our contract board :+1:

ps: also got dips on the mario dungeon sound

3 Likes

I mean, if i could play a piano or any similar instruments, id probably spend all day praticing it in game.

But like, a bard class could be quite cool if we had the ability to actually play notes and different octaves.

Guild Wars 2 and their instrumental system comes to mind, with each instrument having access to a type of chord (major, minor) with various notes (A through G), represented by 2-8, with 1 and 9 allowing you to change octaves.

1 Like

Could also be fun to have a Compose mini game, where you literally write the buffs in to the music. You could have a certain amount of points to spend on buffs in your composition and try to layer them together. As time progresses in the track, you could cause some effects to end and others to begin, creating a rhythm to your buff/debuff/heal cycles and do more with fewer points.

Then your instruments could be forged for efficacy of the buffs, range of the AOE and then the normal stuff like durability, glow, auto loot etc.

3 Likes

Yha that’s cool. You could also sell sheet music you have created. :+1:

3 Likes

Different buffs could have interesting music elements to it. So like damage boons could have a fun heavy drum beat, or healing could get some chill flute lines, while confusing enemy mobs is like a marimba or something.

1 Like

Now what I really want is a handheld synthesized keyboard from the 80s playing “it’s the final countdown” while in the middle of a meteor hunt, and the oortian having a tall mohawk and headbanging.

I love the idea overall. This kind of goes into something a few of us have been pushing - more foundational tools that allow players to create interactions among each other in the game.

The Devs might be concerned about this being a novelty versus something people constantly do. So can we build a good economy part around this or something that makes it a real class and not just a “oh neat I did it now off to something else” type feel. I say this because some other things I brought up that are kind of like this ended up with James wanting to make sure it wasn’t just a neat and never do it again thing.

4 Likes

I think if it was tied into a buff system or utility function it would work great!

Yeah, I think there are a few ways to do this. Songs could be loaded in to discs that could be played on a machine which would change the music within that beacon, which could provide their own set of buffs. This could work like guild buff machines, but only apply to that particular beacon, and the buffs have to be “forged” in order to work. The disc has a durability on the scale of days, and would have to be replaced (bought).

Composition templates should be relatively repeatable, but the disc would also be needed to play the song manually with an instrument. It would act somewhat like sheet music. So the composer has a source of income through providing discs (which should have some incremental costs and tiers that affect durability of the disc itself) and the musicians provide services in combat/travel.

If the music buffs in the beacons include stuff like crafting time reductions, or buffs to forge boon points/debuffs to quirk points etc, then people would want to keep them in stock, even if the gains are smallish.

EDIT: Music could also grant free points in atmospheric protecting within their beacon, so we could have low level folks shop at higher tier worlds, as long as they don’t leave the store.

1 Like

I would like anything that’s related to music being played in game from something to be involved with building as an emphasis. When it comes to sound and combat, I much rather not have more sound drowning out important ques of what’s going on during the battle.

I seriously think this would be much better for building purposes than anything else. I’d love to have ambient sound effects play through a music player block that I embed into a wall.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there are music volume settings? I suspect you’d be able to manage it even in combat. But I get what you’re saying.

Just imagine your friend playing a durability song while you guys mine though…

I turn off music in video games. Doesn’t matter how good it is. I rather have music play that is only in a specific area of the game. So if the music player had a 25 block radius and is dampened by blocks it would create a better experience in entering cities, people’s shops, going to malls, etc.

I seriously hate the idea of bards in this kind of game. If there was song buffs, I’d probably straight up mute the entire game. It’s just like buff bombs, I doubt they would give me any serious and notable benefit to my mining setup considering stats have hard caps placed on them.