New races - yes or no?

Havenā€™t read all 60 messages, but can someone explain what the ā€œfillerā€ thing means, in context? ^^ā€™

Did James mean that such an update would be ā€œfiller contentā€?

To be honest, Iā€™m super happy with my current character, but the new races would open new interesting options. So Iā€™d still be looking forward to that action. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He was getting his post to 10 charactersā€¦ i think.

7 Likes

OOoooooOooOoooooooooowh.
Uh. Ok. That makes sense. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I do not think different characters should have different ā€œabilitiesā€ for the following reasons:

1 - Boundless is not an MMO where you pick you a character with certain abilities like in an RPG if you are a bard, sorcerer or warrior. So since it is not an RPG each character should have the same base abilities.

2 - Since characters are selected currently when a player starts the game, how would they even know what characteristics are important or what affect they might have? If you do not even know how the game mechanics work how can you pick a character?

2 Likes

I have been waiting for new races before making any new characters want this so bad please make this a happen soon please

we waiting since 2016 for this since the first art work :unamused:
I think this will need some more monthā€¦maybe some moreā€¦

Yes yes YES lemme get that viceroy skin for my alien woman :joy::joy::joy: guys we need this!

2 Likes

Obviously they went a different direction with races and cut the original idea, picking just one race to get the game out there for us to enjoy. Iā€™m ok with that.

Hopefully a change is coming. And hopefully existing players will get a free race change :blush:

2 Likes

I really love #20 on that listā€¦ Itā€™s such a cute gremlin!

I need 50 of them

3 Likes

I like 13 and 22
I wanna be a rhino

1 Like

20 also my favorite, just so cute!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Guess Iā€™ll be the odd ball and possible stay as am nowā€¦

1 Like

I mean boundless has RPG elements in it. Xp, Leveling, skills, skill pages, shop stands (in game market)ā€¦ To name the ones off the top of my head. If it were truly only a mmo sandbox than equipment would be the only character progression as it is external to your avatar. The idea of growing more powerful, gaining new abilities, and selecting a role to focus on, are all Role Playing Game elements.

So honestly I would be ok with some earned races with abilities. At the same time reward based races or arenā€™t something I have to have. But it does bother me that so many people claim that boundless isnā€™t an rpg. If itā€™s not an rpg it shouldnā€™t have so many elements from rpgs.

I like 12 but want ears like 11 so can make gizmo :grin:

If you can find any statement on the website or from the developers saying Boundless is an RPG then I will defer to that, but to the best of my knowledge they have never stated that. They have clearly stated it is an MMO and that it is a Sandbox neither of which requires that RPG elements be part of the game.

With skill pages and alts that essentially allow a player to be anything and do anything, I think Boundless fails the test to be an RPG. I do not have to focus on being a hunter or a crafter, I can have 5 skill pages and have all the roles/skills in one character. This is not to say that players cannot choose to only acquire the skills to fit the part of the game they want to play. So a player can only get the skills they need to hunt, but the game itself does not force players to choose a single path. Since it is not the game mechanics that force players into single roles, but payer decisions, I would argue that does not make the game an RPG.

I have several games where I have to level essentially by researching skills and they are not RPG games (Space Engineers, Surviving Mars, and Hearts of Iron to name but a few). Once I have those levels/skills, I can make better tools, buildings, or other items. So I do not think having to level makes a game an RPG. Since anyone can have a shop stand or a request basket with the only requirement being the skills to make them or the coin to buy them, I again do not see how shop stands create an RPG element. Everyone in game is able to build a store and sell anything.

Well, they sell the game on Steam:

Source: Boundless on Steam

Like an MMORPG, RPG, RPG? :rofl: Sorry for that, I think that many player misunderstandings would be solved with good marketing ā€¦

2 Likes

Have to agree with Xaldafax on this oneā€¦though perhaps open to a compromise where 1 or 2 skins can be earned by Titan challenge or something

1 Like

Fair enough then they need to get rid of skills sets and alts and make it an RPG. Or update the marketing materials to reflect what they want the game to be.

Most MMORPGs Iā€™ve played have you select skills from a tree just like this game, as well as permit the use of alts. I donā€™t see how doing the exact opposite of this will make it any better.

2 Likes

I would agree it will not make it better. The developers intent may have been to have RPG elements but the players have insisted on being able to do everything and we got the introduction of alts and skill pages which works against the RPG element. I would think based on comments made that the RPG might have been originally part of what they wanted the game to be, but may not be any more. The last few times I have seen James describe the game he has called it an MMO Sandbox and not even mentioned RPG. But as long as the marketing materials mention RPG then it is very fair for players to assume that is a core part of the game.