Now that every sovereign world gets a "Gleam Lake" biome - Paintable Gleam?

Should we be able to paint gleam now?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

Was there a reason to have had the switch off from day 1?

5 Likes

There is over 500 sovereign planets atm what ive heard…
Lets just wait 1 month and see how many there is after that.

I get People are trying To unlock certain colors like this cause its faster than Waiting on exos… But i would argue that we are not gonna get even close To that 255…
After People have burned their money and picked the 1… Or 2 planets they want… Whos gonna buy the rest?.. We are nowhere near finish line… I dont think this is not something we should even talk about At this point.

But if so… Then its Free For all… I want To spray plants too… And flowers… And my furnace.

7 Likes

Prior to the release, there were 103 unique gleam colors from permanent and exoplanets. When I checked this morning there was like 140 according to @Gorillastomp 's spreadsheet. We gained nearly 50% in a week.

I agree that people will get their first few worlds and let them expire or settle down on one. I for one plan to buy one small planet every Thursday until all gleam colors are unlocked. But idk how long it will take with only a few people buying a planet per week.

4 Likes

This is what i meant… We are not even close.
I personally think some colors are locked behind
Tier7 worlds…cause of the exos. But thats just me.
And i think like this purely because of the athmosphere.
Its no coincedence that each of Then spawn somewhat same colors everytime

1 Like

Because of how RNG works, each time you roll a new color, you are 1/255 less likely to roll a new color on the next roll, and that assumes the color rolling system isn’t biased towards certain colors (which it is). That diminishing returns on the rolls per new color yield combined with the decreasing velocity of new rolls, I don’t think it’s likely for us to hit 255 colors naturally at any time.

7 Likes

Well I know I plan to buy a few a month. @Gorillastomp said he was going to buy some as well.

Not sure what @morey523 plan is. But he’s gotten 7 so far I believe

From my understanding every gleam color has a possibility to spawn through sovereigns. I’m not going to take the time to find the post from James.

3 Likes

I’m good for at least two a month. Contemplating #3 now to test whether the biome paka showed is better for gleam or not

People: I hate these ugly hunting platforms in the air all over the planet. Please remove them.
Also People: Let’s pick these floating gleam b​alls for each and every world.

9 Likes

Sure, but if we get 40 colors in 500 worlds, that’s 12 worlds per color. If 50 are bought per month, ignoring all forms of diminishing returns it would be about 2 years to get all colors.

If you only ignore the weighting built into the worldgen system, you still have to fight the Coupon Collector’s Problem, where the more colors you have, the less likely you are to get a new one.

I am not going to do the math on it, but the easy way to put it is, at the release of sovereigns, there was a 224/255 chance of rolling a new color, but now there is a 110/255 chance, and that chance gets worse with every new color rolled.

I find it rather peculiar that ZERO luminous yellow has spawned as any item so far - according to the aforementioned spreadsheet - No rocks, dirt, plants, ANYTHING. I find that to be more than chance. There were also 2-3 other colors in the same boat. You’d think that we would get a mushroom or something by now, but nothing.

IFF they aren’t physically blocked, there is something in the generation functions that makes it statistically improbable to be selected as an option for any block/plant type.

1 Like

Based on the explanations I’ve read, the system picks a fully random hue and then runs it through some randomized modifiers based on the world profile, which gives the world some cohesion and feel, and causes there to be trends in what colors are available.

That would allow us to paint gleam black, which they really don’t want us to have.

3 Likes

I get the point you’re trying to make here, and you’re right(ish). I’d just like to add the fun fact that regardless of what floated in on exo planets, we only had 29 colors of permanent gleam prior to Sovereigns. That list has now expanded to 147, so that’s actually 118 new colors unlocked so far.

Also, Shadow Cerulean has joined the party now. Enjoy~

1 Like

No colors are blocked. Some colors are more weighted so you see them more often because they have a higher chance to appear. Some colors will be more rare. Not blocked, just less weighted.

2 Likes

Yeah, I updated my numbers in the second half of the post with the statistics, but forgot to fix it at the beginning.

Yeah I mean, once the color is discovered, the flood gates are pretty much open, right?

Once someone unlocks black gleam, people can just spawn worlds with Gleam Lake biomes and it’s GG.
What then would be the problem of allowing gleam to be painted the desired color, considering it will be painted in much fewer number than it will be regen farmed :thinking:

1 Like

I’m keeping 2 but going to switch the colors to different colors when can. The others will Expire and I’ll be getting new ones again to try and help get more colors into the game

2 Likes

If that happens at all. I would not count on unlocking black gleam this year.