NPCs and their AI

yeah and if you build 10 houses for 10 people those people will be on at different times, thats logic. or do you suggest that npcs should be able to enter your personal house and use it as their own? because that is kinda sad.

in the end its difference of opinion, i am sick and tired of uselesss npc characters and vendors in game. like wow tried to make it interesting, but non of the characters in the cities were, like the people going around selling bread and stuff.

point being that it will most likely do the same thing again and again and again. unless they make some highly complicated insane AI script to make them do other stuff

If the 1.0 game doesnā€™t feel busy enough (in the capital areas) weā€™re probably failing as an MMO and might need to do other things to foster community. NPCs (if we added them) would be for a specific purpose, and probably not to make the worlds feel busy (although they might have a nice knock-on for doing that).

1 Like

Ok lets say we have gathered a small group of lets say 20 people ok? Of these 20 maybe 10 play for 2 hours at different points of the day, 5 can find 2 hours every second day, 3 only play in the weekend and 2 lucky bastards have time enough to play 5 hours every day.

A Monday maybe only 12 players are online at all 3 of these have time in the morning so they play there. The others have a job here or are taking an education at this point of time int the day.

Later that day maybe 5 other logs with different intervals in but 2 of these are going mining and one of them has decided to explore one of the daily world. The last 4 logs in an hour before the 2 miners leave and 2 of those are going out exploring too.

In this Semi realistic scenario (Based on what i have known of MMORPG and minecraft players) we maybe at maximum have 4 people in the town at the same town for 20 housesā€¦ If some of these use most of their time working on different things a person walking into the town is probably going to see 1 person moving around.

Can you see why the city would seem a bit dead?

Also do you really expect people playing a sandbox game are going to restrict themselves to 1 house? I almost always ends up building a 50-60 person slum when making a city for example.

Not really My mage tower always seems so empty when i live there alone or castle. Sometimes i build a farmhouse too and making beds for the workers always seem so pointless when nobody is going to use them.

NPCā€™s are a bit like background noise or birds they are nice to have and it breaks up the world a bit, they are not really supposed to be interesting, but more placed into the world to create life.

It was more though for the smaller areas around the world going out and finding other player made cities are more fun if they are not ghost town 50% of the time.

1 Like

this is basically all i want from the npc system. if they were to add one.

Cool, I think I see what you want from NPCs. Thatā€™s helpful. Something to make worlds feel busy and alive.

2 Likes

Yup i donā€™t want them to create story as i think thatā€™s the players jobs bot life outside the capitals in MMORPGā€™s can get quite player empty from time to time and i think NPCā€™s could to change that.

That is what I was thinking beforeā€¦ People want npcā€™s to be useful but if they just wander around acting natural and offer nothing to the game, that would be enough to create a lively feelā€¦ They just need to run away if you are aggressive or try to kill one of them.

Sure some having a set path to move about or task to perform would be great but that can come laterā€¦

Most of my ideas from the old forum has been covered already but feel free to check out the old forum for points and statement you think is important for the discussion:
http://oortonline.com/forums/topic/npcs/

That sounds awesome with the guilds competing for control of the city, there could be a more ā€˜uncivilisedā€™ city that has the guilds fight for dominance and a ā€˜civilisedā€™ city that has the guilds argue and elected with a bit of bribing in the background for good measureā€¦

That would be so cool with a whole city of people coming to protect the city from a protector. Also maybe in a city controlled by a guild they would only be able to control certain things like police force e.g a group of players who if online will have to protect the city from any danger but other players could join in as well if they wanted

2 Likes