NPE - New Player Experience

Good suggestion :slight_smile:

Would like to see tutorial pictures/animations because tutorial have much of long text.

I think new characters would benefit for having more skill points at start. Maybe have fixed skill build because toons are weak and slow to perform actions.

Of course, agreed. But any link has to be minor if it’s to be integrated later, then the link has no reason to stay. Unless the link is cleverly updated to link to the integrated feature.

Any outside source can be integrated partially (some features/aspects of it) or in full.
Depending on whether the author of such source decides to run it or discontinue, it stays or is removed from the in-game list.

:point_up: This can’t be overstated enough!

A lot of the early starter worlds are ugly AF, both in colors and in generation.
The starter player models are ugly AF.

When I first startet into 1.0 I was crushed how ugly everything was. I reluctantly created an ugly character and was sent to the most flat, most dark, most boring starter world out there. I literally couldn’t play. I wandered around like in a bad dream without doing anything.

I had to stop playing for a week and I only returned because I knew (as a beta player) that Boundless is beautiful SOMEWHERE ELSE. As a new player I would have not returned, for sure.

So yeah. To me the most important point in NPE:
Give players nice characters and a new set of starter worlds that are acutally stunning!

Way more important then VO or images of keyboards, imho.
Player guidance is not in a bad state. It’s just happening in the most ugly most boring environment.

3 Likes

I wonder if it would be fair to request armors/clothing as part of the NPE.
Like, at least ONE outfit other than the diaper.

Well, that is quite a reduction of the idea. ^^
I would be pictures to show everything, like “pleace a beacon!” and you see a picture of a beacon next to it.

1 Like

I would already be happy if they released more faces that they already built 5 years ago btw.

1 Like

Yeah, Boundless has such an incredibly long list of shelved concepts arts and models almost ready to go, it’s indecent. I wish I could be recruited by @monty1 to model some stuff from what Minyi has drawn.

5 Likes

Definitely agree on this. I would even go as far as saying the normal run speed should be permanently increased. Change the current skill from 8 points to 4 points and just give everyone the first 4 points at level 1. Trying to run through some of these huge cities or even exploring your first planet with level 1 run speed is painfully slow.

3 Likes

That’s also a very important point, imho. The starting values of new charaters are so low compared to similar games.
Walk speed, swing speed, everything is abysmal. You need to spend the frist few level just to “repair” your character and bring it back to baseline before you can start to me make real progress.

5 Likes

That’s true. Of course it can be improved and Wonderstruck already improved it a couple of times, but in the end it can’t cover up other issues.

What I think Boundless suffers from in particular is the “It get’s great at max level” syndrome that many mmos suffer from. Players are required to put in A LOT of effort into he game before it finally begins to really shine and not every player wants to put in many hours before knowing if it was worth the while.

(Of course the game also has longevity issues but between bad NPE and bad endgame is a pretty amazing sandwich)

I don’t believe the sanctum is the ideal first spot, unless they are going to change the sanctum. The sanctum is offline, and items don’t carry over to the world from it. I can edit the sanctum on my own side, or have super jumping/abilities in the sanctum that aren’t on the real world - which server checks.

If they do a tutorial , I think it should be ‘online’ so that players can keep what they get. Maybe it gives them a blueprint of a starter house to use XD

I mean, if we are Oortlings fleeing our home, wouldn’t there be a template house that was sent with us?

Mission 1 - Plot 1 spot and put down this template house! Just gather the resources and put it down.

Sure it would be basic, but would give folks a place to stay right at the start <3

Just my 2c <3

2 Likes

Just a heads up, last I checked, the last major update broke Sanctum Edit and if you save an edit your game breaks until you manually repair a JSON file.

1 Like

Yeah, when I click the button “use this as your sanctum”, my game crashes.

1 Like

If you actually get stuck not being able to play because of this, there is some info here:

Oh no worries, that’s probably half of why I haven’t messed with it in well over a year

1 Like

Wouldn’t a simple way to improve the npe be to give more coin for the objectives to allow people to start joining the economy sooner. If you did this you would need to have it as a one time reward (just for your first char) so as to avoid people gaming the system, but would be nice if you could straight up go an buy some nice blocks or tools or a few coils to get you started a little better…

Also if players are sent to an extra space for learning the game this could be done only for your first char and therefore have the extra coin as it couldn’t be abused. The final objective could be to create a warp augment and pick one of the t1 worlds that is orbiting around the trial area to spawn to. Perhaps you are limited to only 4 or 8 plots in this starting area so people don’t spend too long there and never get to the main universe. Everything you make on the starting universe could be accessible in reclaim when you get to the new world so the work was not for nothing, and one of the first objectives when in the main universe can explain the reclaim system.

2 Likes

Extra coins/items for a first char could still technically be abused, by transferring the coins to a different account’s plots first, and then deleting the character. Unless the system specifically checks for more than ‘only character’.

The rest is a very solid idea though.

It could be just for your First char, deleted or not…

Could also be an “inbox” message sent to the player as a one-time thing for the account when newly made, so it wouldn’t be re-obtainable.

On that topic, a better way of giving people messages while offline wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Like an actual ‘letter’ system for those mailboxes we already have. That would tie into the talk about a chat rework in the OP.

2 Likes