Official Player Charter

I feel it would be important to add that one should always contact another player and ask for permission before doing anything that may affect another player or their property. To accommodate this properly, an in-game system to contact offline players needs to be established without relying on these forums or discord server. A mail system, IM system, or equivalent needs to be established, and needs to be able to reasonably convey requests or queries, even if a player is not advanced enough to make or place some sort of mailbox system. Perhaps, while standing in a target player’s beacon, one could leave a message using the Social tab that the target player would then receive as a notification on next login? This could be used to self resolve anything from purchase requests to land claim disputes or merger requests. The charter may read as follows:

Always ask for permission before doing something that may affect another player or their property.

9 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting these i was merely providing an example of what another site/game uses, as was request in the original post.

2 Likes

I’m not saying that religious symbols and such be banned and also political things (I’m completly fine with it in exiting in-game) I’m saying if that those religions are pushed on others then maybe something should be put into the rules saying allow others to practise said religion however don’t push it onto others and okay maybe those forms of RP are allowed but maybe only in PM’s in game or on private worlds where a large number of others wont see as there might be younger kids who might see it.
and I think in game cults will be fun way for others to have something in common

sorry if it came off as it should be banned, I meant it more like suggestions for those type of things I don’t think they should be banned but addressed in the Charter

I also didn’t say ban any religion including ones players make up I think it would be fun to see what other players come up with

got ya thanks for the help :smile:

Sense we’re on the topic of religious content I feel the need to bring out the fact that there’s already a presence in the game. Aside from the crosses that litter every graveyard there’s also the sacrificial alter style sanctum and the meditative pose entered when returning to the sanctum. I feel these things don’t belong in a game about tech. I wish the sanctum was more high tech looking as if you were teleporting to a ship. And instead of meditating animation to get there I would like to see some sort of gadget used to teleport yourself. I know it’s been said many times that advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic but I really don’t think that fits in this case. What possible lore can Be used to explain those aspects of boundless without dabbling into the supernatural, magic, or religion? This is extremely important to me as it determines my future participation in boundless. The devs have already said multiple times that they have no intentions on having boundless go that route but until they change certain features, animations, and content, I continue to worry. Hopefully this isn’t too off topic :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Not at all. Your opinion matters. Not sure what direction the Devs have in store, but I’m sure they’ll take these things into consideration.

Honestly, I’m really fond of the hybrid of meditating/spirituality with technology. It could make for fascinating lore. I’m not fond of religion, but meditation has nothing to do with it.

6 Likes

Meditation is always linked to some sort of spiritual element and all forms of spirituality and spiritism are linked with some kind of religion. Same with magic. I know many will disagree here but it’s true. It all goes back to some sort of worship. In this case it would be some Oort of worship :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

OK I got it, let’s just say that the Oortians have some sort of Jedi like force power ability and are able to use their mediclorians to teleport themselves. :sunglasses:

1 Like

its only the duality we are used to see around (religion vs. science, physical vs. spiritual etc.) while truly what we call meditation or spiritual is as physical and tech as things we can perceive with our five basic senses

I agree with @Sverchekovich that a mix of natural/tech or spiritual/physical makes an excellent lore especially that we are approaching time in our real history when these polarities dissolve and we more and more realize that there is only one big reality where every technologically mastered atom is a vast micro-cosm of consciousness at the same time.

Maybe not everywhere and not everyone yet but more and more people find it natural to see there is no magic/science dichotomy at all - only amazing oneness that we tend to describe in different terms (which means our differentiation between science and religion is only differentiation of language).

1 Like

I like where this conversation is going! But perhaps we should open a topic to discuss religion in boundless, and how it applies to in game lore and technology? I promise I won’t go too deep into shameless self promotion of the cult of Illumination…

8 Likes

That is totally false. I practice vipassana every day, and it has absolutely nothing to do with religion or spirituality. Meditation is a big part of my life and I am an atheist. As a practicing Buddhist I can say with absolute certainty that mediation was not borne from religion, and Buddhism itself (with the exception of those branches that deal with creation stories and deities) is not a religion.

PS. If you’re not familiar with vipassana, I’d suggest trying it. It can make your life soooo much easier and more pleasant :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well said and I absolutely agree but humanity is not quite to that point yet. Suffice it to say there are still many people who are offended by anything that has to do with the occult or magic or spiritism and individuals such as myself scour the world for games that don’t have that kind of content which is why it’s so important to me that these things aren’t eluded to or implemented into the game. I have nothing against any of you and none of you have offended me in any way. This is simply my own personal conscience decision that prevents me from playing games like that. I love so very much playing with all of you and wish and hope that boundless does not become THAT type of game.

3 Likes

Sorry, didn’t mean to bring this up here.

1 Like

No apologies needed, it is very relevant to the present context of the thread! I was simply offering to delve into further detail in a dedicated thread, if you so choose!

4 Likes

That’s ok, we can end this particular subject now. We’ll just wait and see what the devs have in store :grin:

1 Like

A rough framework to discuss. This does not yet include some of the nicer text that I’ve written as sort of a preface.

1. Boundless is a safe space for all to come play and enjoy. There is a zero tolerance policy for inherently offensive, hateful, or malicious behavior or speech of any kind. Mods will have full authority to immediately and temporarily ban anyone behaving in such a way. Permanent bans will be discussed among moderators and potentially the community before being performed. This includes intentionally bypassing profanity filters (or any parental locks). If someone kindly asks you to please stop doing something that might be perceived as any of this behavior it is strongly recommended that you do so.

2. Both in-game and in the forums respectful behavior is required. Kindness and compassion are preferred. This means reaching out to your fellow players if your gameplay or actions might be perceived as troublesome or offensive, this particularly includes anything that may impact the existing property of other players.

3. Please refrain from engaging in behavior or conversations that can affect the gameplay experience for others. This may include conversations or references to politics, religion, or other out-of-game topics that some may find controversial.

4. Spam of any sort will not be tolerated and will met with a temporary, and potentially permanent, ban.

5. Having fun is required. Helping others have fun is even better. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

Let’s start hearing some input from others.

6 Likes

I think this is a good start. I would hate to have to say something like “play nice” but we might have to. lol.

As for the religious discussion and so many comments around what we should stop and protect from I think they are good things to bring up but still strongly suggest we keep stuff agnostic and simple in the communication style. Everyone has a reason for their actions and we need to find ways for THAT to come out in conversation. Something like, “You might interact with people that have different views, beliefs, and style of play. While you might not agree with them, we expect everyone to respect the other person. If they are bothering you communicate in a compassionate way and ask them to stop or leave the area. If it persists then raise an issue with a moderator.”

Obviously that is an example but I think it is more important to keep general things like this because “offensive,” “right,” “wrong,” etc. are relative terms based on a whole set of views and we should instead instill a mindset of tolerance and compromise and not develop a charter that just creates the same strife and bickering we see in many of our existing government institutions.

I would much prefer a charter that if it has specific “don’t do this” that we give an example or something to make it concrete.

Lastly, it is very important that we release a version 1.0 soon of this even if it is not complete and does not cover everything. We need a basic framework of our ideals and make sure it includes the process we will follow for revisions. This way as things happen in game we are able to use real scenarios to adjust the charter in a timely manner.

Added to this we need @james and the deverlopers to communicate how they are planning to make sure enforcement of this charter actually happens as well as start prioritizing the actual in-game technology we need to help with that enforcement.

2 Likes

@Xaldafax While I very much agree that terms like ‘offensive’ or ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ are difficult to objectively define… and as such are broad, general statements… that is the goal of the charter. The moment we get involved in using phrases like, ‘Don’t do X’ then we have left countless things free to do, because once you start saying, ‘Don’t build a huge tower of genitals next to someone’s property’ then you have to create massive, comprehensive lists that leave unforeseen options open. Some player could then build Y because only X was mentioned in the charter.

Those kinds of lists are so long as to cover everything, which means no one reads them, so they mean nothing. The goal here is to capture the spirit of the game and make broad statements so many things can fall into them. Think of fishing with a net instead of a fishing pole.

2 Likes

I think my post didn’t come off correctly then… I was saying we shouldn’t have those. We need general statements with no lists. My example was that you don’t need a list and should just be able to say – respect people and their views.

But, I think we need to be prepared that we “might have to call something specifically out” or a few things in a list. If we have to do that, then we need a clear example of it. I don’t have any example of what that one or two things might be yet but if it becomes a requirement then we should do it in a way that help keeps it simple yet effective.

That quoted statement is what lead me to believe that you want, ‘Do do X’ lists. My apologies if I’m reading that incorrectly.

Could you give me an example of a statement or two you’d like to see in the charter so I can understand?