Okay devs... Here's one of the reasons why some people can't stay invested into the game

When people talk about private worlds in Boundless, do they mean a private planet of their own, that only select people can visit, or their own planet to rule over like a golden god, that is publicly connected to the main universe? I don’t want to miss out on visiting any builds.

Edit- I would gladly pay to rent a world I could completely reshape into whatever I want, that remained freely accessible to the entire player base. That could attract new players, with the amazing mega-builds that some of you would create. Entire themed worlds to be shaped by guilds and solo players. A sort of end game after new players level and grow on the existing planets.

5 Likes

The key question.

I think some people mistakingly are blending the two concepts.

A private world with custom settings will only be accessable by invite and you can never bring items or char back and forth between such a planet and the official ones, as the rulesets will be different.

A rented planet will be accessable to and from official planets and will have official rules governing it.

Personally, im only interested in the latter.

7 Likes

Basically, just like Cyklisk said:

Private Worlds = Isolated from the main Servers, and most likely will be Private servers with their own ruleset

Rented World = Exist on the main servers and people can “rent” them so they have their own personal space with a tons of customization.

5 Likes

I hope they didn’t stop doing this because of how much I was complaining that these pictures aren’t roadmaps.
And I would still argue they aren’t.

Or maybe they stopped doing them because they realized their calendar was too chaotic or something.

Beside the issues with the concurrent player score, my second biggest issue with Boundless is the things they have had in concept arts for YEARS, and that are still not in the game, even though they could surely hire a junior artist to do a truck-load of them in days/weeks.
I’d do some of the modelling stuff in the concept art section (specifically the furniture) in days/weeks. Heck, I’d do it for free, if that could benefit the game.

2 Likes

keep in mind that concept arts are just that… “Concepts” they might never be in the game in the first place, or they could take a long while still before we get them, I dunno if you ever bought any Physical Collectors Editions, but it usually comes with an Artbook which is FULL of concept arts, and when you look at most of the stuff in the book… most of the item models, concept and the like were not even in game, or at the very least weren’t the same as they first iterated.

So, I get that concept arts might show something cool but iirc they did show these a LONG time ago and plans might have changed over time, though I will say that stuff like Protectors and Titans WILL be in the game eventually since they are being featured of the official website, but as far as the other “features” showed in the concept arts goes… it might take a LONG time before we even get it in the game

1 Like

Yeah but it’s waaaaaaay too long, by most companies standards. And you should be able to tell what’s just an ‘exploration’ and what’s an actual concept art that has likely been approved. For one, the later looks more clean and detailed, more believable, while the exploration looks more like “here’s 30 versions of the idea so that the team can decide which one they like the best”.
I mean, yeah, I can’t be sure, obviously, but somehow, I am sure that a lot of the stuff in the furniture threads is going to happen at one point. It’s just a question of when.

Come on, look at the Hunter creature. It’s been in the wraps for YEARS. The creature seems to have been mostly modelled 4 years ago! There is NO WAY that should take that long, that’s just not right. There is something wrong, there’s no question about it.

Look, I’m just afraid that one day, out of nowhere, we’ll see an official post saying “hey guys, we’re shutting down the servers in X amount of time, it’s the end”.
It’s not like that can’t happen at any point, I’ve seen it happen before, and it happens like that. Precursor stuff like the Hunter’s development aren’t doing anything to reduce my anxiety on the matter. It’s typical of these types of games that aren’t doing well. When you watch Youtube channels (from the top of my head, Bellular, YongYea, etc), you hear stories like that way too often.

2 Likes

I think you should stop imagining the worst case scenario here my guy, the game is not just an indie game with no investors whatsoever, you have both Square Enix AND Sony who are backing this game, with SE (Square Enix) being the literal publisher, and they most likely have other investors that we don’t even know about since these are things that cannot be discussed publicly.

Trust me… after looking at EVERYTHING that has been going on and how stuff went in the past…

1. with their funding campaign being way WAY more successful than they originally planned despite the fact that it was hosted on their OWN website and not on kickstarter or any other crowdfunding platform

2. the backing of Sony that started in 2015 so it becomes an “exclusive” on their platform.

3. The fact that SE publishes the game on both Steam and PS4.

4. the fact that the SE Collective website “specifically said” that they help the devs they publish with funding in addition of PR, Marketing etc

There’s just a lot of safety net here, like… A LOT, and these aren’t just some random unknown companies that so happen to appear out of thin air to “save the day”… they are actual BIG FAT AAA game companies that are EXTREMELY picky about who and what they publish… just for Sony to even CONSIDER backing a random indie game is very telling of how interesting it was for them to even offer that to Wonderstruck.

So Trust me… this ain’t the typical case of small indie game uniquely being funded through sales and stuff… they have at least 2 investors, who are JUGGERNAUTS of the industry, and there’s most likely even more of them that we don’t even know about since these are supposed to be discussed internally, not externally

5 Likes

And yet, here we are, with the concurrent player numbers and things stuck in the middle of dev-pipelines…

Again… you’re only looking at it from a surface level… do you honestly think they would shut down the entire game without AT LEAST making ONE marketing campaign ? Wonderstruck doesn’t pay jack ■■■■ for that, if an actual big campaign was made at launch and it simply didn’t work then I would’ve understood why you would be this worried, but they didn’t yet…

And look at the game right now, it has been released for almost 2 years now, and they still release updates continuously, and yet the playerbase has always stayed small but stable, never going into the 10’s or even the 50’s on steam charts, you would think they would’ve shut down the game by now if they thought it was leeching their company right ? Or at the very least put it on maintenance mode with season events that doesn’t even change ? but nope it’s still there and there is next to no sign of it stopping any time soon.

Besides the creative mode is a way WAY bigger milestone than you give it credit for, this is way more than just a “mode” it’s a whole program that allows you to create your own private server on your local machine, and that’s without mentioning the whole Lua scripting support they introduced as well which isn’t small either

5 Likes

Everyone, let’s keep this discussion civil please. :sunglasses:

The only people that know for sure how the business is operating is WS themselves. Everything else is speculation & assumptions.

9 Likes

no of course haha, I’m just trying to make my point here, it might’ve seem a bit heated but it’s just how it got out haha,

4 Likes

As Majorvex said, neither me nor you know anything for sure. There is no point to make.

The only action that would settle everything would be for Wonderstruck to actually make a big “here’s the situation” official thread explaining at which states of development each previewed feature is at (Titans, furnitures, hunter, alt races, etc etc). No dates, no predictions. Just hard facts like “this has been approved and is being worked on” or “unless things change, this will be our next priority”.

They will likely not do that, even though they really should as it would appease a lot of people.

5 Likes

fair enough, sorry for the somewhat heated response haha, it’s just… I know how it actually feels, and I hate seeing people being in the same state of mind that I used to be before I made this post, it’s just not fun and it makes you feel miserable.

Just, try to not let these dooming thought get the best of you alright ? I know I did for the longest time and it sucks big time

3 Likes

Too bad the devs dont ever post this sort of information on the fourms for people to read so they dont have to speculate /s

4 Likes

Yeah but that dates back to when the game was still called “Oort Online”, in 2015.

3 Likes

True. Although if we’re somehow onto the subject of Private / Self-Hosted worlds now, here’s a slightly later post (Feb '16) after the name was changed to Boundless, and until this official information changes, I’m personally taking it as “still in the development pipe-line” of things to come and I am looking forward to it :smiley:

6 Likes

Me too! Can’t wait to have my own rental planet, name it (hope that is possible actually!), allow everyone to visit and do whatever EXCEPT plot, I decide who can, rest is like any other public planet!

Ahhhhhh, and if many people do this there will be quite a few new planets to explore, new block colours to gather, more atlases to fill, more ahhhhhhhhhh :smiley:

4 Likes

Im curious to find out if we can choose non perm colors for rental planets. I dont expect us to be able to.

Why not? If all we can pick are the same repetative colors from the planets that exist at the time then they also eliminate one reason to rent a planet to begin with. With 255 colors available, why not allow players to expand what is out there versus having to wait for it to occur naturally?

Yeah, I’m also looking forward to an Official Private Boundless Servers.

But I was also thinking about news on more subjects than just this.
Such as what stage of development are the Titans at, what would be the current plan of action, what might’ve changed since last time, or if maybe something has been indefinitely shelved (and if possible, “why?”).
Same for furnitures, ladders, block-parasite creature, hunter creature, smasher creature, possible additionnal PvE activities, GUI rework, decorative totems, armors/clothing, stickers, new races.