Okay devs... Here's one of the reasons why some people can't stay invested into the game

Again… you’re only looking at it from a surface level… do you honestly think they would shut down the entire game without AT LEAST making ONE marketing campaign ? Wonderstruck doesn’t pay jack ■■■■ for that, if an actual big campaign was made at launch and it simply didn’t work then I would’ve understood why you would be this worried, but they didn’t yet…

And look at the game right now, it has been released for almost 2 years now, and they still release updates continuously, and yet the playerbase has always stayed small but stable, never going into the 10’s or even the 50’s on steam charts, you would think they would’ve shut down the game by now if they thought it was leeching their company right ? Or at the very least put it on maintenance mode with season events that doesn’t even change ? but nope it’s still there and there is next to no sign of it stopping any time soon.

Besides the creative mode is a way WAY bigger milestone than you give it credit for, this is way more than just a “mode” it’s a whole program that allows you to create your own private server on your local machine, and that’s without mentioning the whole Lua scripting support they introduced as well which isn’t small either

5 Likes

Everyone, let’s keep this discussion civil please. :sunglasses:

The only people that know for sure how the business is operating is WS themselves. Everything else is speculation & assumptions.

9 Likes

no of course haha, I’m just trying to make my point here, it might’ve seem a bit heated but it’s just how it got out haha,

4 Likes

As Majorvex said, neither me nor you know anything for sure. There is no point to make.

The only action that would settle everything would be for Wonderstruck to actually make a big “here’s the situation” official thread explaining at which states of development each previewed feature is at (Titans, furnitures, hunter, alt races, etc etc). No dates, no predictions. Just hard facts like “this has been approved and is being worked on” or “unless things change, this will be our next priority”.

They will likely not do that, even though they really should as it would appease a lot of people.

5 Likes

fair enough, sorry for the somewhat heated response haha, it’s just… I know how it actually feels, and I hate seeing people being in the same state of mind that I used to be before I made this post, it’s just not fun and it makes you feel miserable.

Just, try to not let these dooming thought get the best of you alright ? I know I did for the longest time and it sucks big time

3 Likes

Too bad the devs dont ever post this sort of information on the fourms for people to read so they dont have to speculate /s

4 Likes

Yeah but that dates back to when the game was still called “Oort Online”, in 2015.

3 Likes

True. Although if we’re somehow onto the subject of Private / Self-Hosted worlds now, here’s a slightly later post (Feb '16) after the name was changed to Boundless, and until this official information changes, I’m personally taking it as “still in the development pipe-line” of things to come and I am looking forward to it :smiley:

6 Likes

Me too! Can’t wait to have my own rental planet, name it (hope that is possible actually!), allow everyone to visit and do whatever EXCEPT plot, I decide who can, rest is like any other public planet!

Ahhhhhh, and if many people do this there will be quite a few new planets to explore, new block colours to gather, more atlases to fill, more ahhhhhhhhhh :smiley:

4 Likes

Im curious to find out if we can choose non perm colors for rental planets. I dont expect us to be able to.

Why not? If all we can pick are the same repetative colors from the planets that exist at the time then they also eliminate one reason to rent a planet to begin with. With 255 colors available, why not allow players to expand what is out there versus having to wait for it to occur naturally?

Yeah, I’m also looking forward to an Official Private Boundless Servers.

But I was also thinking about news on more subjects than just this.
Such as what stage of development are the Titans at, what would be the current plan of action, what might’ve changed since last time, or if maybe something has been indefinitely shelved (and if possible, “why?”).
Same for furnitures, ladders, block-parasite creature, hunter creature, smasher creature, possible additionnal PvE activities, GUI rework, decorative totems, armors/clothing, stickers, new races.

Because people would be able to deny access to their own planet, providing unique colors to the economy only they could sell.

Players can always use goo to dye blocks so the ability to create a unique color is not really an issue any more. Plus with the exo planets there are players that have gotten access to materials in colors that others have not and sell it for a premium, how is this different?

Off the top of my head gleam could be a problem.

Exos are for all players.

Exos are for players that are advanced enough to have atmosphere protection for the higher tier exos and also for players that are available to play when they exist.

But as to gleam being a problem. So if I have created/rented a planet with blue gleam which does not exist, then what is to stop another player from doing the same? Nothing. I think if a color is that popular more than one player is going to be wanting it on their planet and you also assume that all the rental planets are not available for all players to visit. Players may not want other players to be able to plot on their planets, but I have certainly read enough about players wanting other players to be able to visit.

1 Like

Exos arent closed to non paying players. Quite the difference.

Read the link stretchious provided a few posts above. Players can choose who can or cant visit.

I personally wouldnt appreciate only paying customers affecting the economy with non perm items, but to each their own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Denying access to any and all players to your rental planet means it won’t be connected to the public worlds, at least that is what I think they will do. Denying people the ability to farm blocks and other resources would also be a good reason for me to not allow them to connect and I also do not really see the point to even wanna do that, yes, nice, now you have sole access to colours others don’t I will spawn 100 new rental planets until I have the same colours and I WILL allow everyone to gather blocks…

1 Like

I can certainly see a use-case for being able to deny access - providing a safe area for families with younger children to play on (remember the game is targeted at 7+), whilst still being connected to the main universe for gathering of other resources.

6 Likes

But if they really want a safe area and do not want their kids to see scary strangers than surely it would be better to NOT be connected to the public worlds?

2 Likes