Oort amalgram worth it?

So,I made my first bulk craft of oort almagrams late last night to try them out, and for something new to craft.

A bulk craft of amalgrams(20) requires 72 oort shards.

Crafted those up quick then went to check them out to see their value since NOBODY sells these things that I can remember! (I’m sure someone does somewhere though)

In a 1x,3 portal in my home with one shard left in it, 20 amalgrams gave me 1d 6hrs of fuel. Okay, not bad. But the 72 oort shards in the same portal, gave me 1d 12hrs.

What am I missing? These dont seem like they’re worth the shards or the rare ichor.

Is the point of these so you can essentially stack more fuel into portals? I’m not sure, cause I didn’t want to waste more shards if I’m losing on the return in only one bulk craft.

2 Likes

Yes it’s so you can stack more fuel in a portal. I don’t remember who did all the math on it before but someone laid it all out on how much you lose and I believe the only portals it makes sense to use it on is the 24+ size

1 Like

I feel that amalgam isn’t worth right now because of current spawn rate of lucent worlds make it too hard to collect.

There was earlier also talk about (Oort Amalgam Question) that “converting” shards to amalgam would actually lower time effiency of fuel.

Probably when all type lucent worlds start to spawn to universe (with increased rate) and players do more ichor hunts, amalgam gets also more wanted. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why do we allways lose when we want better Things. I dont get it. The De…Oortian Gods are not nice!

2 Likes

No the item is a bust and needs tweaked.

2 Likes

I’d be fine with the current output if the ichor was available on non-lucent exo’s, too

1 Like

Item is a bust and needs to be tweaked

Echo… echo… echo…

2 Likes

can i slide in the two wide one shard portal so we get rid off the orientation mess would even give up the amalgam for it (in current state)

1 Like

I don’t personally see it as a loss. People were given the ability to fuel all their portals for a longer time without the need to show up every few days to put in fuel… big win.

It costing more resources makes complete sense because it is exactly in line with the way developers see portals - a special thing that requires work to keep open. It is in line with EA and other pre-release discussions.

4 Likes

But is anyone actually using them regularly though? I feel that if noones using it, maybe its worth tweaking?

Even big guilds with massive portals don’t use them because of the reduced efficiency they provide.

I think it wouldn’t hurt if it was the the same efficiency as using the same amount of shards used in crafting, but with the meteor ichor acting as the extra cost.

Actually, the “!cost more resources, for same or even less Outcome” seems to be the Developers Vision. A Vision which is not a good Thing in any game.
But having this discussion on a board of a game where the Basic rules are set in Stone and even defended as “good mechanics” is pointless, so i stop here.
Have a nice day.

2 Likes

i say if we have the oort let us use it
if people get together and fuel a portal for 20years why not they worked for it

2 Likes

How ichor (and oort) requirements for recipe, lucent world requirement and rarity of those world is not right now matching. Ichor is not available enough, to me it is not win at all when it is rarely available and effiency is just lower. It is just unreliable form of oort.

I don’t know can I stack amalgams with shards and if it does, does portal keep open when type is changing.

When exo worlds came, I was part of one group hunt and I didn’t get ichor as I was hoping and hunt was for me just brutal and material consuming. Maybe group was too big and not well prepared. It just wasn’t fun so I just look for dead meteorites and from those I have got more ichor that way than playing meteorites active.

I think you guys are missing the point. Portals aren’t supposed to be easy. They take work to open, and require upkeep to maintain. They’re a privilege that we have to continually work to have access to. Giving the ability to fuel them for as long as youd want at one time would ruin the mechanics of the portal system.

Longer lasting fuel for a trade-off of efficiency makes sense. There has to be some sort of cost involved. The problem right now though is the rarity of the ichor. That combined with the reduced efficiency is what makes the amalgam not very practical.

1 Like

In theory it makes sense, but is anyone actually going out of their way to craft oort amalgram to fuel their portals?

Most people dont own massive portals and can generally upkeep smaller portals. Those that dont have likely stopped using that portal enough to care anyway.

Those who own massive portals probably find it easier to fuel with shards given its more cost efficient in the long run

It does hurt because portals based on how the devs historically have looked at things are special. They don’t want hundreds of them everywhere. They don’t want people using huge portals where a smaller one works fine. They don’t want people trying to centralize the whole universe into a single hub on one planet… They are careful with portals because they cost real world money to support.

In many ways and how they have responded to various threads and stuff in this game has shown that “rarity” of portals is the expected thing.

There were plenty of people that warned the community on why portals were being handled the way they were… we said use smaller portals that have to be fueled less or find friends to help fuel them. But people wanted “longer” fuel. So they devs gave that and put the “tax” on it in the form of less efficiency. They don’t want it the same and many of us players don’t either.

The first point is subjective.

The second point isn’t true because the rules are not set in stone. Plenty of rules have adjusted and changed… The problem was people didn’t approach the situation correctly.

This could be a balance issue for sure… I am not sure if they wanted it very hard to find or just hard or whatever…

1 Like

I think you missed my point entirely. While i agree with you, if noones using it then surely that represents an issue that needs resolving? I cant think of anyone who actually uses the stuff on a regular basis.

2 Likes

I saw the point but didn’t know that was key to the discussion we were having. If no one is using it we should probably just have the developers remove it. Less things and assets to deal with in the game.

More than likely, though, you feel that since it isn’t being used that it needs to be fixed. But I still wouldn’t understand how. I don’t see any way to make it more efficient in Oort usage because it isn’t designed that way. Plus there are many people that will push back on it. So about the only other thing to balance is the Ichor requirements. Maybe that could be made a bit less rare.

The overall issue here really is that there are a group of people that want to fuel a portal and rarely touch it in the game. There is another group that disagrees with that and expects people to manage those portals by not only getting the Oort but by also walking around and fueling them regularly. Excuses of “time” regarding fueling it are not relevant especially when people choose to use larger portals than are needed.

So the whole discussion about this will likely go around in circles because the group that wants this don’t understand or just don’t care why portals are special. They just want what they want.

1 Like

How is that hard to understand that an underused item that isnt used should be fixed so it isnt underused? Why would you possibly think deleting it is a better solution? That benefits noone.

Who? Because I don’t think there’s a single person who is in that group who can afford Oort amalgram on a regular basis, making the whole argument pointless.

The whole point of this thread is that Oort amalgram is underused because the only people who stand to benefit from it - those who don’t like to refuel portals constantly - either cant afford it or simply don’t use it because of its cost inefficiency. There is next to noone using it regularly.

All i’m suggesting is that its fixed so that it is used more often. Portals wont become anymore common or less “special” as a result, but i’m sorry if that’s so hard for you to understand.

3 Likes

It isn’t broken. People won’t use it because they don’t like the efficiency. That is their problem and not the Devs because the Devs LIKE the efficiency level. They want it more expensive because the person is getting more time in their day and can keep the portal open longer. So that is the COST – loss of Oort. People thought they could fake the Developers out and get MORE time for the same Oort cost.

I don’t understand why people cannot see this.

I said the item should go away then if people aren’t using it because I didn’t even agree with the original reason the item was created. So I don’t see any problem here at all with fueling portals. Make smaller portals so you have to fuel them not as often.

The people that asked for the Oort Amalgram are the ones that asked to not have to fuel a portal as often. They want a portal and not to touch it often in the game.

The reason I am responding is I am challenging the point that it is broken and needs any fixing. I am giving context on why it is not broken. It is working as intended but people just don’t want to pay the extra cost which is their choice.

1 Like