Oort shard market trends discussion

There’s nothing to argue about. It might not fit your definition of a sink but it’s taking it out of the market. By taking it out of the market, it decreases over all supply. I can certainly see where OP is coming from.

Edit cause I didn’t read past this but evidently there’s a new topic. Maybe I’m in it already. I’m so confused

1 Like

Pssst, You’re in it :wink:

1 Like

But decorative Oort is not removed from the economy, it diversifies the economy. Deco oort can be traded (theoretically) indefinitely. Actual portals are the only real sink for oort in the economy. Only by powering a portal is oort truly removed from the market. If you want to point the finger at something for being a sink on the oort economy, then blame all of the competing portal hubs.

2 Likes

I sell Oort shards since (almost) the launch of the game and if I saw a trend, it’s a decrease in their price. This depreciation continues even with the compact oorts in the game now.

Without reading the walls of text, I think he means now there is less oort going to be oort shards >>> less oort shard supply >>> increased prices. Sink is probably not the best term imo. Also, with the amounts of Oort brought daily into the game (by hunting), I dont think compact oorts are denting the oort shard supplies.

EDIT: Thinking now, maybe “sink” since whatever oorts that got converted to compact oorts cant be used to make shards, effectively being lost forever?

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Of cats(devs) and mice(players) - which changes displease you?

The deco oort blocks.

Footfall goes down every week for me. Everything gets cheaper. Everything sells for less. There’s huge deflation going on. The only thing that gets more expensive all the time is oort.

We need more sources of oort. We need more oort in the system. Maintaining a portal is the most interesting thing in the game but gets more difficult all the time. Unless you hunt. But forcing me to hunt is not boundless…

Everything else in the game I can buy easily and its price moves with the general income? Less footfall? Forged tools, food, brews, gems, ore - everything goes down. Oort goes up.

Sure, but that’s more a result of fewer players gathering it to sell (reduced supply) and more hubs spending it to power more portals (increasing demand). Adding deco oort however diversifies the market- making it more attractive to more people. Increases demand, but also stimulates supply as more people are interested in benefiting from the newly diversified market. In little time, this market will stabilize, just like any other market.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. But it goes up and up and if it dtsbilizes it will at a to high point for me.

Oort is the only valuable thing in the game. Everything else can easily be farmed or isn’t really needed. E.g. boon transmute isn’t needed to forge, but oort is needed to fuel a portal.

A game should not have only a single valuable thing or everyone will exchange the worthless currency into the only valuable thing.

There’s just not many hunters in the game period tbh. It’s at a point all the hunting groups are happy to bring on leachers just because it increases meteor activity.

Time will tell but I think there’s merit to this concern.

1 Like

Ah! Well that’s entirely subject to ones opinion. I have different values in different things! Perhaps this is an opportunity for a savvy entrepreneur to trade you Oort shards for other goods? Personally, I always need more metals and gems…

1 Like

I sell all the oort i have, the prices seem to stay between 150 and 240 for some time now, request baskets only.

Hunting is the cheapest one can do, especially on gear and coin.

That may well be just a symptom of a different problem.

There has been a rise in organised hunts from various guilds recently and these “leachers” you speak of have always been welcomed since the beginning and why wouldnt they, they get oort stone too so thats more oorts in the market.

Edit: also these “leacher” are generally lower level players which makes sense because there hasn’t been practically no low level hunts going on a consistent basis.

5 Likes

I don’t use the term leaches in a negative way. What other word would you use to describe it? My point was the hunts need more bodies. They don’t have capable bodies so they take anyone and everyone to take hits and revive and etc.

As @Havok40k replied above, perhaps that is the symptom of a different problem.

None of this impacts what I said though. Both of you acknowledge that is what happens. So ignoring the word I used as leaches, they help generate meteor activity simply by being there. There’s a lot to dissect with this I think, but it being a Friday night, I’m about to fire up the grill. Y’all have some good hunts.

2 Likes

Same as any new feature, deco oort will get a lot of use in the first week or two, then it will settle again. Tech components quadrupled in price when the guild buffs and marble/mosaic blocks dropped, but then went back to normal once everyone had a play with them.

I think all the hunts happening on exo worlds seems to have balanced it a bit too. We’ve actually had significantly more oort being sold to us than usual the last week.

Yup I’m waiting for deco Oort to lower in price. The Oortstone I buy can’t be turned into anything but fuel. I have to power the town portals, farm portals, shop portals. I get some donations from guild mates but most of it is bought. I don’t really like hunting so I won’t do that to get more. Itd be cool if there were treasure chest in caves that could contain them and other items or even some seams on an exo.

It only goes up if people buy it for that price. If you can’t afford that price, don’t buy. If enough people don’t buy, the price will drop. That’s how economics works. It’s not a maybe/maybe not scenario. In the long run, markets always trend towards stabilization. It may not be the same equilibrium point it once was, but it will stabilize.

Currently we see increased demand which increased prices due to equal supply.

Increased price can have different effects:

• Increasing supply: More interest in hunting to make coin. This applies to me for example as hunting is getting more attractive compared to my other activities.
  • Increasing supply: People may put stored Oort into the market to profit from better price. This can only last for a certain time
  • Decreasing demand: Less important portals are getting shut down

How these effects play out in the end also depends on the timeframe. Effects are not visible directly due to storage buffers.
Most extreme case would be that people currently supply portals from storage to wait with buying leading to sudden demand spike when storage depletes.

1 Like

It’s nice that Oort has consistently held value since launch, and only briefly dropped to 100c during that time when coin generation halted. Alternative uses for mats is just plain cool, even if it increases price.