Of cats(devs) and mice(players) - which changes displease you?

Please no flaming, I don’t want the dreaded Threadlocky McThreadlock bot to show up.

As a retired veteran player - I let my beacons expire, lost millions of coins worth of stuff, don’t really care, I can still come back - I wanted to take a look at what Boundless changes everyone was unhappy with. This is still an amazing game, but every time us mice find something worthwhile (normal, working as intended game mechanics) the cats show up to “balance” it in the name of fun.

For me:

1. Wild plot chisel and block placement nerf. Day one you literally got xp for Everything you did, whether it was on your plots or in the wild. Build a 1x200 bridge across lava? 800xp. Chisel while you mine? 7,000xp per session from chiseling alone.

2. Bomb mining nerf. I do not give a rat’s rump how allegedly broken it was, the bottom line bomb mining was fun and would have drawn any viewer who watched a bomb mining video into the game.

3. The footfall noif. It strikes a nerve with certain cats when you call the change a nerf so I use the friendlier variant, noif. Hermits with isolated builds do get 2x footfall, so I suppose they enjoy the hundreds of coins they collect per month now…

4. Rock exp nerf. What actual problem did this nerf solve - not enough people buying cubits?? A totally harmless game mechanic, balanced in the name of fun.

5. Centraforge noif. Another topic that strikes a nerve with Cats. Perfect should be achievable, and progression should be possible. But heavens forbid Boundless be similar to any other game.

6. Guild buff prices. Maybe they’ve been adjusted, but they noifed footfall around the same time they introduced the game’s greatest coin sink… otherwise this could have been a good thing.

Maybe you personally liked one, some or all of the changes and that’s ok too. These were just the main ones that progressively sucked the fun out for me. The last straw was footfall changes, not because in and of itself it really was that big of a deal but because I was feeling burned out by the persistent pattern of progressive fun-suck.

The dev team, above all else is going to have to quit making Boundless less fun at some point.

13 Likes

hitting like button for this:

and this:

As for actual topic - I see all the listed changes as good. I disagreed with initial xp removal from stone crafting, but 1xp is just enough.
Still hoping for timber giving 1xp too (as well as having some crafting time, just like stone).

P.S. Cannot help but laugh on the inside when seeing your forum name (tend to see Trollbar at first sight). :laughing:

2 Likes

Did they add a positive to stone crafting, like 1-click 30 stacks on PS4? I would actually welcome this change with an exp nerf to accompany it.

1 Like

I wasnt around for bomb mining and never had any issues with xp. Footfall changes are probably the worst of it, for me personally. From what i understand that was in response to community feedback though. There was a few very vocal people that wanted to take it away from others, and they did.

Forge wasnt nerfed at all, it was just changed. Perfect is still perfectly possible. I’m saying that because i dont want a repeat of the footfall thing, with people who arent doing it taking it away from people who are.

7 Likes

Lol :rofl: it’s what I do.

The game would be much better as a less “surious” game where everything has to be a struggle. I would just let the flood gates rip in the name of fun, but this isn’t my game.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s the worst stomach-sink feeling in the world, when you enjoy something in game and then people on the forum start begging for balance :frowning:

Because you know the cats won’t NOT balance it at that point.

I’m gonna be straight - the exp grind in Boundless is absolute HELL.

6 Likes

I completely agree that the exp grind in boundless is crazy ridiculous, especially since you actually need those points to even play the game in any way that isn’t just an additional grind. At least the rock changes were accompanied by a huge rebalancing of exp for all the other activities. Now explorers/builders/gatherers can actually get levels too!

Us forgers just have to rely on mass crafts of mats, since centraforging a high rank item gives negligible exp.

4 Likes

Bomb mining nerf, hands down. I don’t complain much, but after the nerf we were told the technique would be balanced into the game. It wasn’t/is not yet true. /facepalm

The horse is so dead at this point, it’s not really worth discussing the merits of this specific nerf in this thread. I just wanted to raise awareness that we were told to “please do keep bomb mining” post-nerf.

6 Likes

To be complely honest. I agree with you on most if not all of the points you made. But i can see both sides of it. The player in me says just let everything flow. The coin, the bombs, the xp, all of it. Death penalty? For what? Fall damage? For what?

The reasonable side of me says, server limitations aside, Boundless is an MMORPG and nerfs/buffs have to happen if they want to keep any sense of competitiveness. Balancing MMORPGs are headaches I’m glad I don’t have to deal with.

5 Likes

That was my biggest disappointment when I dived into forging post-full release (next being math for some ingredients).
I decided to forge little and for fun more than anything.

3 Likes

Especially since it does take some skill intelligence, and definitely some luck, to do it! It should give exp based on the rank of the item being produced, in my opinion.

I still love the forge though. It’s fun to me. It’s also a good way to make money as well.

5 Likes

What annoys me is that they change stuff without polling it. That drives me nuts.

I also dislike the fact that solo players really cannot reap benefits of guildbuffs. I want my solo guild, but I gotta play without buffs because it’s too expensive. I think guildbuffs should scale with the amount of players in the guild.

Also still would love to have private worlds.

7 Likes

We’re lucky they poll some of the stuff they do because they really dont have to at all. Polling that rock xp change would’ve been a huge no from the forum community.

3 Likes

Honestly I’m glad they dont poll very often. In fact I actually wish they would say tough shhh we are doing this on changes that need to be done that people wouldn’t necessarily like

2 Likes

well, in that one they are right - guild by definition is a group of people :rofl:

Really it’s too expensive for some big guilds too. I no longer have ult as my main. But when I was being active with Ultima and donating etc. there were basically 7 of us that were paying for the guild buffs.

1 Like

or they can continue to not retain players and see how that works out for them and the game.

Month Avg. Players Gain % Gain Peak Players
Last 30 Days 137.4 -28.5 -17.15% 266
March 2019 165.9 -35.0 -17.43% 354
February 2019 200.9 +53.0 +35.83% 1,150
January 2019 147.9 -0.5 -0.33% 293
December 2018 148.4 -54.7 -26.93% 304
November 2018 203.1 -145.5 -41.75% 400
October 2018 348.6 -6.0 -1.68% 682
September 2018 354.6 +258.2 +267.91% 832
August 2018 96.4 +63.7 +194.83% 293

Edit: steam average players.

3 Likes

Maybe we can see the changes that happened each month. Was Feb the free weekend?

yes February was the free weekend. First time they topped over 1000 players on steam

A nerf is a nerf. It shouldn’t matter if it upsets someone by using the correct word. If you want to show your displeasure about something, then it is best to use the words that fit and carry the most weight. There is no need to butter things up when you are trying to get a point across, as long as you can make your statements/arguments without resorting to personal attacks.

8 Likes