Outdated - Boundless Code of Conduct

Hey, you hate the idea of a president of a different country, I hate pants. The only difference is mine actually affects me every morning. Seems legit to me. Its a bit silly but it points out that people can be offended by anything.

3 Likes

I think I understand what you are saying and the person/people that decide to have a political profile picture take the risk of being judged by others that don’t feel the same way.

I’m not going to share my personal political beliefs because I don’t think this is the appropriate environment.

I believe in an ideal world this forum would only be used for ideas and topics related to Boundless.

That’s just my 2 cents though so I’m going to sign out of this thread.

6 Likes

Yes it does if they are the last poster. Other than that not so much.

1 Like

Yup that’s exactly how I feel.
I don’t know if it should be banned but I don’t like it.
That’s why I keep my political views out of sight here.

5 Likes

Serously though, @james, maybe we could get boundless avatars that are divvied out by trust level or post/reply/like count. That way this issue ceases to be an issue.

1 Like

That would be cool. And have a different border if a GC member

3 Likes

To clarify, I hate the idea of bringing up something that doesn’t belong on these forums, it’s really that simple. There is a place to discuss world politics/religions, and it’s not on these forums.

If it turned out that culturally speaking, pants actually became something really divisive/toxic in real-life, as politics already are, to the point where you’d have large numbers of people walking down the streets without pants, kinda like how the N-word became a taboo over the past decade or so, I’d know better than talking about the depantsipation proclamation.

And you gotta realize that it’s not just me. Make a head-count. How many people say they’re against the political-avatar thing? How many have changed their avatar to protest?

mob rule is a pretty poor argument for making a censorship change. just sayin :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Mob rule? Would it still be a ‘mob rule’ if there was a poll? How would that be different from actual voting?
Again, it’s not about censorship. It’s about common sense.
It’s about not being forcefully subjected to politics in these forums. It’s about not having people feeling forced to protest though their own avatars.

But Peyago, I’d be kinda sad if I didn’t see your coffee owl avatar pop up every now and again… :confused:

3 Likes

Common sense doesn’t require rules. When you make a rule, something stops being common sense. It no longer matters if it wasn’t common if it’s a rule.

Also, mob rule stops being mob rule when a ruling body supports the vote. At least as far as I know.

I think speculation vs speculation leads to anger and drama. I think anyone knowledgeable and interested in politics knows that communicating their opinion on a random video game forum won’t lead to anything other than anger and drama.

This entire conversation is useless. Just let people have whatever avatars they want and move on…

11 Likes

I think you’re going at it in reverse.
First there is common sense.
Then there is someone who lacks common sense and offends people.
So a rulling body create a rule to enforce what was common sense.
But not going against said rule is still common sense.

1 Like

Common sense isn’t required to create a law and a law isn’t required to enforce common sense. That make sense?

3 Likes

I haven’t ever seen anyone forced to change their political avatar here. If that is indeed policy, then I respect it and am sorry for arguing. If it’s not a policy though, I am against it becoming a policy. As far as what would surprise me, not much nowadays.

I think using a campaign sticker as an icon is less than wise, but I don’t think it should be disallowed. It’s only, after all, a campaign sticker. They’ll be everywhere and everyone will have to deal with it. Seems silly to go to war over every world event related meme.

4 Likes

So you do not like my avatar and want to censor me? Lol… I read the terms of service and my avatar is not a violation of the TOS unless you want to equate my avatar to the level of a swastika or something on that level. Of course you cannot… and if you did what’s next to be banned offensive? The Rainbow pride flag? The flag of the USA or another country?

If you do not like me because I am not afraid to support the President of my country then PERFECTLY A-Ok with me… judging someone on criteria so shallow as political affiliation says a lot more about “your” shortcomings than mine.

If I was posting messages specifically pushing you to vote this way or that way THAT would be different…but my avatar is not doing that and posting this type of stuff to try and force me to bow down to what “offends” you (as if you’d ever do that if it was your avatar on anything that offended me…you’d be telling me to get over it) only makes me more determined to stand up for what I believe is right.

So if someone wants to be hateful toward me only based on my avatar…go ahead… but be adult enough to tell me you hate me to my face… just remember consequences are a two way street.

9 Likes

As a counterpoint, we have memes of President Obama on here all the time. Just this past week in fact. Those memes aren’t getting flagged and causing an outcry.

While I probably don’t share the same political views as our focal point, I understand that all of us have more in common than the few polarizing things that set us against eachother.

Edit: And with this, I am out.

4 Likes

I have seen the avatar in question and considered striking up a conversation with its owner on the reason for its selection. I then took a second to think about it and decided I was being the idiot, not this person. I read these forums every day and have not seen a politically inflammatory post from this person nor anything political at all, that I can recall.

Disclaimer: I am from the US. I hate partisan politics. I am not affiliated with any political party.

2 Likes

I personally have no problem with people using whatever avatar they want. Apparently, for now, BL feels the same way.

However, I did notice some people started using political statements/attacks @ a person or two, so I said…“I don’t want to see any politics here”. From what I’ve seen online elsewhere, political arguments go nowhere and everyone ends up looking like fools. No one wants to see any of that - from either side - on this forum. Put it in the off-topic category if you can’t refrain.

There is a time & place for everything. If you want to be a stripper and race cars…you do you, but you can’t do it at your 1st grader’s school during show & tell.

I personally have no problem overlooking avatars that I don’t like. It’s the personal attacks/posts using politics that we could all do without. It will lead nowhere.

There are plenty of outlets for political arguments, this shouldn’t be one of them imo.

8 Likes

If you want to wear a Macron avatar who cares? Doesnt bother me…So why should Trump bother you? You can have Napoleon for all I care.

3 Likes