Owned worlds shouldn't cost plots

Abusing it how?

I have earned every single plot of mine by simply playing the game… by mining, by hunting, by building and by crafting. I have never performed any activity with the sole intention of levelling up from it. I even sell my excess rocks to the chryso because I can’t be bothered crafting them just for XP.

1 Like

My original thought was that maybe they could make plots on sovereigns bigger.

On a sovereign a single plot could be 12x12 :thinking:

2 Likes

I know right!

The mouse1 clicking is real.

1 Like

that… and it’s boring and counter productive.

There are far more productive and profitable ways to gain experience.

2 Likes

What about a system that lets you reserve plots on your own planet? Or designate a building area/town for others? My hope is for an area big enough for my home base, workshop, color storage, general storage, and misc other big builds that ISN’T part of a town. I want some scenery around me. It feels wrong to let people plot, but kept kicking beacons away from my area. I’d rather set up a border once, and if someone wants to build in there I can grant them permission.

2 Likes

You know what i realized… I cannot sell my pricy gleam To you anymore cause of this full fledged color generator :grinning:

2 Likes

I do think there is an issue with telling relatively new players that are able to rent a planet that they now can grind for a few years to get the plots to actually use it. Might as well tell them to stick with MineCraft. Probably not a good way for the addition of rental planets to bring in players.

11 Likes

After years of various discussions on this forum I still don’t understand p2w arguments. P2w nay sayers are grasping for straws on any occasion fighting what they think is good fight. Just bug off, there’s no p2w in this game, there will never be, devs said and done things that clearly show their attitude about that.
With that said it would be nice to have some amount of plots with planet, a 1000 seems reasonable for a medium build, or have some amount with monthly purchase. I opted in for creative so I won’t bother with all that though :yum:

3 Likes

I was actually going to demand a refund from you now that it’s all so worthless and I never actually used any of it… all still sitting in a chest gathering dust! :joy: :rofl:

This seems like the best argument for adding plots with a planet.

4 Likes

They are not told this… but it would not be unreasonable at all for them to assume this. Fair point… but I don’t think justification for changing the plotting system. Raising awareness of the way the plotting system works before they make a purchase would be a better fix for this I feel.

This is a very good and reasonable request/suggestion in my opinion

2 Likes

I’d agree this would be a worthwhile change. Reservation plots so the owner can reserve land for future use, but still needs to earn or purchase with cubits the physical plots to build there. I’d have no issue with reservation plots

You are correct they are not told this and will only find out after they have spent the money on the planet and have experience in the game. So do they feel duped and leave a bad review? And if they do, are they not being factually correct?

I just think we have a bias because we have had to work for things and changes to the game that seem to cheapen what we did, do create bad feelings among the player base. Look at the reaction when the marble recipe was changed. However that does not mean that ultimately allowing a player to build what they want on their own planet but still having to grind for all the materials to do it may not result in more players playing the game and more revenue for the developers. In the end this is probably what matters the most. . what will increase the overall player count and revenue for the developers and not necessarily what will keep us old crusty players happy.

Full disclosure, I am lucky enough to be able to afford a creative and a sovereign planet. I am also lucky enough to be able to afford to buy cubits if I want plots for use in the survival portion of the universe and I have done so. For me, this is a building game and the more players are encouraged to build the better. The more blocks they need the more portals they need the more demand for materials, tools and oort. That keeps the players that play for for the economy busy and hopefully happy, it keeps demand for gathered and hunted resources high. That is all good for the game in my opinion. So if someone is willing to spend money on a planet and then starts a large build project right away, I just think that does more to keep them engaged in the MMO part of the game than a slow grind where they are more likely to just make it all themselves while they grind for plots.

6 Likes

Mining gleam and refining it should be just easier with sovereign planets: You can pick gleam biome to lower planet to use cheaper tools. Cooking yams and metals is also much faster operation than wasting time with clicking rocks :smiley:

Couldn’t say that better. My biggest worry about Boundless is not p2w or whatever, but that game actually survives for a long, long time. I’ve spent more on Boundless then on any other game, and there’s a reason for that, it’s an amazing game with amazing build system.
Sometimes I feel that devs could make some additional effort to keep more people in, for example being crazy clear about what you get and you don’t get with the planet, how much are monthly costs of keeping a planet up and all that. Also have a huge text that you have to confirm you read that your world will be deleted in 14 days of not paying.

1 Like

You make a number of great points, you really do.

The plotting system is a controversial topic and always will be… and it’s unfortunate that some form of plot reservation will always be necessary to prevent griefing.

But people leave this game for any number of reasons, most of them due to some mechanic forcing them to grind at an activity that they find less than enjoyable (whether it be gathering, crafting, gaining coin or levelling). So perhaps they just need to make cubits/plot easier to attain, activities such as hunting and building should be buffed to offer the same sort of experience that can be gained by mining or crafting. Fix the core issue rather than entirely bypassing a progression system that some people actually have invested heavily in or feel some sense of achievement from.

2 Likes

Not giving people unlimited plots in their world’s isn’t going to kill the game. The lack of REAL content updates is what would kill the game before anything

1 Like

Who said unlimited except you?

I think it would be good if a sovereign planet did include 1000 plots for use on that planet while it is rented.

It would certainly help new players to be able to actually use their planet to build stuff. And once they have made some builds they like they would be more inclined to keep renting their world for awhile.

WS has already rented more planets they they had expected though, so maybe they wouldn’t want to encourage more people to rent worlds?

2 Likes

Many people are asking for unlimited plots. The OP of this post LITERALLY was asking for unlimited plots