Permament beacon security

Many people complain that their plot can’t be secured forever (lol). 36 weeks is long enough imo but… people complain.
People did that before, do now and will in the future. People will be bitching around that at launch. I haven’t played on any Minecraft server for more than 2 months - there is a wipe at some point anyway - so i personally see no point in permament beacon security, but… for the sake of this game, I think it’s a good move to introduce permament beacon protection.

Make it an end-game objective. Make that ultimate fuel which requires 100 refined gems of each type to craft, but add it to the game Most people, won’t get to that point. However it’s always better to say “Yes, you can set up a permament beacon protection” than “No, you can’t. And your plot will be deleted after 36 weeks”. Many people won’t buy this game because they will be feared of loosing their plots at some point.

1 Like

I don’t know, I think the current beacon system is easy and the fuel lasts for ages. I remember being pretty impressed I had fuelled my beacon for weeks with a few leaves when I first made one.
The problem with permanent beacons is, with the best will in the world, very few people will play the game forever and abandoned structures would be a problem for newer players. I think the devs have balanced this issue very well for such a potentially delicate issue.

4 Likes

I completely agree. I only see problems from permanent protection, but I acknowledge there are also potential problems with temporary security. My proposed solution is to let people put their money where thier mouth is. If they feel their build is so amazing that it should grace the universe of boundless forever, let them buy permanent protection. $100 per beacon.

3 Likes

I disagree with an option for permanent beacons.

People should not be afraid loosing their plots. Just play the game.
If you dont play the game for about 3 months then you should not be surprised that all plots are gone.

4 Likes

If someone achieves a high high level then maybe a skill that extends beyond 36 weeks to something a bit longer… but I agree it should not be perm. It is very hard to extend places when we have people blocking things and no idea if they will come back.

If they fear it going away maybe give some permission where friends can FUEL a beacon but not build on the plots. I think we need a better type of permission set on the beacons. Like more rights so other things can happen when people are sharing the building responsibility like add/remove plots, etc.

Also, personally I think we should be able to see the timer on a beacon just like the portal. So we know when it might go away as well as maybe when that person was last on.

These things would help give more security to beacon space but keep it limited.

1 Like

The only place where permanent beacons would make sense to me is on private player worlds. Other than that - if you can’t refuel in 6 months it’s totally fair to lose your stuff.

The upsides of limited lifetime beacons exceed the downsides by far. In fact, I feel its too easy to fuel beacons at the moment - hence the perpetual chaos we have in and around many towns right now.

7 Likes

Exactly my thought. If you pay a subscription like model then you should be able to make your stuff on your world permanent (as long as you pay of course) … sounds fair to me.

Ties into a thought a had some days ago.
What if you could turn of world regeneration on your own private world completely?

Makes farming on your own world more challenging but you could connect all your stuff with roads or build really big community creations.
Sounds like an interesting tradeoff a world owner could decide on.

1 Like

Or if fueling will be as dirt cheap as we have now, random players or mayors can fuel a beacon if it’s beneficial for them for various reasons. Some cases are:

• The build has a purpose on the settlement (e.g. Market Place, Portal Hub, etc.)
  • The build is prestigious hence helping the settlement both visually and politically (capital)
  • Just pretty
2 Likes

Permanent Beacons?? no thanks… i don’t want to play minecraft and live at 0.0

Please no… the amount of junk sitting around this empty world atm…
Honestly the amount of time you have on a beacon after 30sec’s of work is a joke, if you can’t upkeep 10 weeks of fuel time then why do people need to see your build?

How about this, set all beacons to public for fueling?.. then if the pubic like it, it’ll get fuel and if they don’t they’ll show up to cut it down when the fuel runs out.

3 Likes

how long would it take you to collect 700 refined gems in order to craft permament fuel?

myself? so much time i’d never want to…
BUT a Troll that wants to see a 500ft D1ck statue overlooking your city for all time just for the lolz… about two weeks.

Permanent Beacons %100 bad idea.

Does not matter !

Permanent beacons are a very, very bad idea !

2 Likes

we can always have a troll who will build a big ■■■■■ in the middle of the town and intantly secure it for 36 weeks! no difference

That’s not a huge concern to me personally. ANY troll build obviously outside what would be reasonably considered acceptable will also have the player’s name attached to the beacon. May the Hammer of Justice crush it swiftly and surely.

3 Likes

The way beacons consume fuel will change. So only dedicated active players can fuel for a long period of time.

If a troll really wants to spend a lot of hours into the game and be active in order just to troll in the long run, then that can happen indeed. But how big of a chance would that be ?
I bet that if somebody spends that many hours into the game he/she will probably fall in love with the game and won’t troll.

And IF by any chance a diehard troll happens to do some serious trolling, then we just report that person to the DEVS !

@Havok40k thread can be closed.

I would like if my first Beacon is my Home Beacon and I could fuel all of my beacons from the home beacon? Just a thought

3 Likes

omg queen best idea EVER!

2 Likes

Wait, people are able to put in fuel for 36 weeks? It caps at 12 for me.

Try timber. And I believe the cap is only 26 weeks?