Persistent Gaming is a lifestyle choice

A discussion needs to be had on gamers’ perceptions on their purpose for gaming. I see a change in online gaming climate and as we speed toward a VR era, I know we will see persistent, player influenced worlds, such as Boundless, grow exponentially in popularity. I honestly think Boundless is a bit ahead if its time and as our gamer culture shifts, Boundless will be held in high regard as a pioneer.

So my thoughtful question that I’d enjoy reading feedback: are you personally there, or approaching, a state of play where living an alt life in a persistent virtual world becomes your new way of recreating? I would argue that many who play Boundless have embraced, or at least, entertained this notion.

I, for one, am already there. Maybe it’s because I am approaching 40 and I have gamed regularly since I was 11. Maybe it’s my generation, and it’s a matter of priorities and taste. I am just ‘kinda over’ the instant gratification titles that reward every miniscule effort. I have played those out. I tried recently a title that the kids enjoy and I would have enjoyed years ago, and I hated it. I am so rewarded now to play titles like Witcher 3 with no HUD on death march difficulty and wander at my own pace; same with Skyrim. So much more then, for Boundless, where the universe evolves with its citizens in real time. It is the penultimate for me with regards to persistent gaming right now.

What are some thoughts about games becoming a second life? Does it boil down to the attention span or is there merit in spending those hours actually creating an empire as opposed to temporary trophies?

6 Likes

All I know is that by the time I retire, I’m gonna slip on my Infinite Absorbing Pants :tm: (UK version), plug in my pork scratching/beer tube and slip on my fully immersive VR nodes and spend the rest of my days being fully immersed in virtual worlds while the real world disintegrates around me.

Second Life indeed, back in 2003 :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: I do really hope the world doesn’t disintegrate before I get to retirement age…got a wish list of drugs to take as well…

2 Likes

I’m 39 myself, and can see myself sliding that way for sure. But I think I’ll still always enjoy games of other sorts, and wouldn’t ever give up my non-gaming hobbies unless I lost the means to be able to enjoy them.

Also, in my case I’m fully aware that I’m making an escape from my IRL troubles and hurt and fleeing into the game world at many points. Games like this hold particular appeal in that regard, another life to flee to, and the way things are trending, that route will become more and more tantalizing, offer even greater allure. I’ve read authors like Simon Parkin (Death by Video Game) and Nick Yee (The Proteus Paradox) not just because they’re fascinating things on my favorite hobby, but also to gain insight into what is making my own brain tick. Yet still knowing all that, I prefer this route. Is it truly an illusion if the feelings are real? Would I really make a dent in my other problems if I didn’t spend time this way - well, perhaps for some yes, but most no. There is no running, and I don’t have much fight in me. So, I take the happiness I can get.

As one of those authors put it - I forget which - part of the appeal of games is that they meet our psychological needs oftentimes better than real life. A sense of progression. Predictable rewards for effort. Fairness. An idealized form of work, basically. IRL, you could bust your tail, be the best person you can be, but you still get fired and dumped. The second life of the game world can sure se em the better alternative. I can see that trend continuing, the real world becoming more unstable and unfair, and the game world offering ever greater appeal…

2 Likes

I have been gaming since online games existed (56yo) so heres my perspective. Wait for it…here it comes…“Back in My Day!” Playing persistently wasnt an option YOU HAD to play because you had people that depended on you for xp. You had your Tank,Healer,and Damage dealers,crowd control people and you tended to bond with those ppl in your static group. I still am friends with those ppl to this day most dont even game anymore at all. (Plus back then if you played persistently you could actually earn a living selling game items So I guess a lot of us were gold sellers/item sellers before it became a real business.) My point is if you didnt play persistently and consistently Your Group replaced you and you fell behind the populace gaming bell curve.

In boundless you have to play persistently or you lose all your stuff and if youre running a town,city or what not it will dissolve quickly and ppl will move on. Its sort of a parasitic like populace where the ppl who are motivated and play the most and create things become like hosts to those that just want to enjoy and be part of their creation to further their gaming goals not saying this is wrong just what it is. If said leader or creator leaves for a few days the others will often times panic and move on. So its not really that ppl care about the settlement or city owners/creators personally they are just the ones that (if I may make a real life comparison are the ones that like to be seen at the popular clubs and be noticed.

On the flip side if you are one of these folks at the top I find this game to be pretty cutthroat. My grandfather always said “Humanity is like a steam pot full of crabs as soon as you dump the crabs in the steaming pot together some will try to get to the top and escape and the ones at the bottom will inevitably try their best to pull them back down.” So yeah its kinda like that not to mention the trolls that love to just plot war you outta game out of pure frustration.

Persistent gaming has always been kinda a lifestyle choice depending on the game and what it delivers BUT also the community. I have played games for far longer then I wanted to just because the people I played with. There are some great ppl in boundless but there are also awful folks that are just angry if you got more or just angry in general and unfortunately they can at times get to you.

looking at the MMO community as a whole in all gaming well you cant take ppl who have been indoctrinated into thinking they should all get a trophy just for showing up and convince them “They HAVE TO DO” something to get what others have spent lots of time and effort to get or create. It sells a lot of games though because when these folks cants get what they want crying on forums they go to the next game rinse n repeat.
People always say ppl have Game ADD but I find either they cant get that instant fix (like the folks above mentioned) or they’re fast Min to Maxers (like myself) that suck up the content then get bored (cough Farming) waiting for new content and move on.

I got hooked on boundless for the very reason most complain about it. I liked that I just got dropped off and basically had to figure everything out on my own. I get so very tired of the way games hold your hand or herd you from quest hub to quest hub. Its not like Im gonna see some NPC standing there and not try to interact I dont need a giant “?” over his head. If you build a game world sandbox style let ppl go where they want let them use their brains occasionally. Necessity is the greatest innovator.

I already can hear the replies “But the companies have to cater to everyone to maximize profits.” No they actually dont this is the most opportune time in gaming to carve out a niche market. Why? you ask , because the gaming industry is flooded with cater to everyone games that ppl play a couple month and leave.

Anyway I’m rambling now. I think boundless is innovative and has good potential BUT I have played a lot of games that had potential and I find its true “You only get 1 shot to make a good impression.” Better policing of the game is number 1 more to build with and decorate these nice buildings with to make it homey is number 2 and thanks for the topic!

2 Likes

I can certainly relate to this. That is probably the subconscious draw for me it that ultimately, I can control my success during my recreational times. As chaos around us increases, we will look for

so that we have a viable alternative in order to cope with reality. And yet

It’s really a shame this convo got moved to off topic. Conspiracy much!? I do think it’s relevant and I absolutely value what you both said.

1 Like

Fail edit.

2 Likes

Maybe you can re phrase it because the topic isnt really a question are you looking for theories or future outlook not exactly sure. I just want to be clear what you are looking for precisely so I can better answer it. Thx

2 Likes

I think I’ll leave it here. I spoke mostly in jest about the topic being moved. I think it has evolved nicely in here. Furthermore, I think your response was a great answer.

Ok I just wasnt sure you mentioned derailed didnt know if it was me lol

1 Like

My motivations for being in the game are mostly intrinsic, but the full-dive commitment from most usually requires some tangible rewards for hours spent in game and a diverse, unique set of these types of milestones.

Like… building something and keeping it around is cool, but rare things that show hard work beyond that are cooler to most. Boundless needs some craftables that take a lot of things, a lot of time, are rare, and maybe even a combo of all of that. Some people want to work for these, but most things in the game have been oversimplified. Some people get bored after having “beaten” the game if they make it past the gem and forging hurdles, so they just log in to collect footfall and refuel. :sleeping:

1 Like

Ok, even though I don’t know that I agree with this, at least not totally, I went back and forth and finally figured I’d throw this in here for you, Creegle. For those that adhere to this, they might say your Bartle type is evolving as you age.

Me, I don’t like to stick things in neat little boxes like this so much. But Bartle theory I thought was at least worth mentioning here. I think there is much to be learned from maybe classifying games themselves along this spectrum and studying the psychological needs that they meet among the players, however, I think most of us as players are too mutable to pin down so neatly. We can change from day to day, the games themselves can change us and how we behave within them.

“Fun” is such a broad term in English… with most games I’ll say I’m having fun, but what I’m feeling and the needs being met are quite different. If I’m playing Borderlands, or doing PvP in ESO, perhaps then I am a Killer, relishing a little havoc and blowing off some steam. NMS, of course there I am an Explorer, the game is meeting my desire to get out and discover and see new things. Interesting to note though that NMS and Boundless both can appeal to all types and needs. Boundless hits Achiever, Explorer, and Socializer for me. Then you get others that are hard to classify - Farm Together, a recent favorite of mine, a totally chill experience… perhaps meeting a need to nurture and create. Puzzle games like Tetris, hard to say there, you could say that is for the Achievers, but I think most would agree that it is less setting a high score and more getting into the zone with games like that, simple repetitive stuff.

1 Like

So there is this…

:joy:

But seriously, I am the same as you, you can’t put baby in a corner. I like what you are saying tho.

1 Like

Haha, nice, didn’t catch that we had a topic on it in here already! :smiley: I did take it myself long time back, I need to redo it and post… even if I don’t totally agree with it, everybody likes to see their own results on this type of stuff… :wink:

1 Like

I think virtual worlds are becoming a much nicer place to spend time than reality…with covid and brexit, us british peeps might haver a looming beer and wine shortage next year :sweat_smile:
I kid, we produce quite a bit ourselves though it’s already quite expensive but we might run out of broccoli and that’s just not right.
well done for spending your reality time necroing though :+1: :wink:
anyhow, enough of this, those virtual builds won’t virtually build themselves.

1 Like

you deleted your previous post so I looked like the necro’er :scream: :kissing_heart:
but to answer the above next to my desk I have an optionally operational wall opening with thermal and atmospheric resistant protective abilities refined over millennia (a window) :boundless: