Photography 102 - Worlds, Builds, Before/Afters

Very artistic :smiley:

Ah I see your have a higher resolution screen than I do.

Copy from my topic about worlds: Lepker before and Lepker after.

1 Like

1926x1178 what kind of resolution is that?! :smiley:

It seems that the fish eye lens has been tweaked/removed? :frowning: Everything looks so much closer now.

Also here are the dramatic changes to lighting. It’s good that we don’t have to drown our buildings in light anymore. But now bathing a whole room in light seems to dull everything down.

Before update: (per-pixel lighting OFF)

After update: (pir-pixel lighting ON)

• Bathed in light:

Before

After

2 Likes

Thumbnails for color value comparison

2 Likes

Yeah the new updates seems like it made everything look low res which is a damn shame… is it because they incresed how much light is actually shining from each lamp? i absolutely love the city before the change but after it seems kinda ugly…

1 Like

Yup,

I can remove the light blocks from the spire easily. As for the tower… Not really.

(I will always use my old tower as an example for lighting changes ^^)

Removing wont change much there^^

Here is a screen of the wall from Kovah:

Just the 2 lamp blocks with a gap of 3 blocks between them is enough to make the wall glow insanely bright.
I like the idea the devs had to increase the light given by each light source but I think the devs overshoot the target here a little bit.

I also agree with @Zouls . It seems everything renders in low-res until you are right in front of it, regardless of your graphic settings.

I thought it was just the tree foliage. I have to check again later when I get back.

@ben @james this might be a stupid question and maybe harder than i think, but would there be a possiblity for people to change how much light is given by lamps? like you could interact with lamps and you could choose from 1 to 100% i know it would be tedious, but i think that different amounts of light might be needed in different situations, for example it seems that this is waaay too much light, but maybe if you want to make a lighthouse you want a lot of light.

might be too hard though. dunno.

I think this would be a wrong approach to the issue.
First I think the main problem atm is that they have overdone the “light per lightsource” ratio with the new update.

Second, differently glowing light sources might be a better solution than adjustable ones:
The standard ones we have now that glows evenly in every direction:

And “focused” ones for lighthouses for example:

This is something I´ve never seen in a Voxel game before and would be quite unique.
But we are getting off topic.

6 Likes

Dawg, are you plugged into the oort system or something? Your builds are straight stupid :smiley:

Nyuddles is a master :slight_smile:

New lighting definitely needs some adjustment, thanks for thr screens. I’ll try make the change for the next update you can do another comparison.

4 Likes

Also checkout this.

We’re making some tweaks to the lighting falloff to improve it. Here’s a newer view with my local copy of Spire (it does have extra lights and stuff because it’s my test rig, ignore those).

In short, light still look bright and have a nice, big radius, but they now have a non-linear falloff (so they don’t all look like mini-nukes). Should be the best of both worlds. They look really smooth and nice up close now too.

8 Likes

Will there be a mini-update in the near future to bring these new lighting changes (and any other bug fixes that you all have been working on recently) into the game?

That’s the aim.

4 Likes

That looks much better now. Thank you!

3 Likes