Placement problem Deco lustrous. (Missing placement option)

[edit] This topic is about a missing “world Placement pattern” for Deco lustrous wood.
(probably other blocks to)
There are 3 ways of placing. Why? 4 makes more sense.
this topic wouldn’t exist if there where just 2 ways of placing Deco lustrous

So here is the problem…

Green is placed from above (on top) facing E-W
Yellow same as green but facing N-S

Red is placed against (side) and facing believe it was E-W

So by following pattern bleu should be placed on the sides facing the other directions as the red dot.

As the 3 match up.

But there is no way i can think of to get the “star” pattern Placed in the area of the blue dot. Don’t think its even possible.

Can it be that there is a flaw in deco lustrous wood and is missing a placement option.

Because how i see it it should be possible to do but i cant. @james

I’ve tried to place it right for hours but no way to match the pattern

1 Like

Are you sure N-S side doesn’t work? (assuming red was E-W side)
My new base has a ton of deco lustrous in several different patterns and i haven’t run into any issues.

1 Like

When you placed the bottom right where was the cursor? Did you place it with the green highlight being down, top block, left block?

If Left block. You likely will need to start on the bottom left all the way over on the Left block and move across.

Its not my build. But @DarkSkies told me in game he was at if for hours yesterday. After giving me rights I’ve tried every placement option. But I can’t get the star pattern. Even tried placing under the block.

I see what you mean. Might be possible?

What happens if you place blocks in the blue area?

Your explanation isn’t 100% clear btw

Yes they have but the texture copies one of the other 3 placement options haven’t checked witch combination of placement but it has just 3 placement “rotations” making in this case only 3 available star pattern options.
Don’t know how else to explain it.
Shouldn’t it be 4?

Positions tried.

• top placement facing N-S
  • top placement facing E-W
  • Side placement facing N-S
  • Side placement facing E-W

Problem is one of the side placements results in the same “pattern” as one of the other 3.
Even tried a variation of placing against the under side of the block but same results.

(Might be a location thing like i had with chiseling on antar way back but think thats highly unlikely unless its a chunk problem.)

Basically I don’t fully understand what you’re trying to do, nor what the game is doing. Haha

1 Like

Some rotations didn’t exist. All I know is sometimes you have to start the pattern in a different area than expected. If there is a spot that has what you want just repeat the same steps.

1 Like

So there are probably just 3 then in this case… :grin: some blocks have more rotations (i believe) thats why I find it a little strange.

Srr Yes im sure. Ine placement copies one of the other 3.

Contact me in game and i’ll show you

@DarkSkies so i have tested it again.

• Top right placed on top of block facing E-W
  • Botom right placed against the block (deco twisted) facing E-W
  • Top left placed on top of block facing N-S
  • Bottom left placed against the block (brick) facing N-S

As it now is there are just 3 ways of placing

• against the side of a block facing North/South

• on top/below a other block facing North/South

• on top/below and against an other block facing East/West are the same.
    Form East to west direction is a repeated patern.

Sorry for the darkness’s takes for ever to become day. (Plus quick test just to be sure :wink: bothered me a little not knowing the rotation that is a “copy”).

so there is an issue with that kind of block

When you place all 4 blocks of this type the same way (I mean your orientation when placing blocks and/or the point of attachment which can be either top/bottom or side of already placed blocks), and you form a 2x2 square, you can only get 3 regular patterns: either a star in the middle, or an octagonal pseudo-circle in the middle, or 2 almost-triangles (“hats” u might say) -

You can see the star and the hats in the screenshot above.

I don’t count all the chaotic/irregular patterns you get by placing some of the 4 blocks differently (so let’s say placing 1 while facing NS and 3 other while facing EW etc.).

So, follow these steps:

1. Chose a location 2x2
  2. Chose how you place your 4 blocks and put all of them the same way.
  3. The resulted pattern can now only replicated in any adjacent 2x2 square. It can also be replicated in any 2x2 square placed apart from the original one, if you make even number jumps (2, 4, 6 blocks and so on).

If you want a different pattern than the one you get in step 2, simply chose a different way of placing blocks. No matter which of the 3 regular patterns you get though, you will still only be able to replicate it in a continues line from the original 2x2 square (in any direction) and in case you want to place them apart you still must make gaps which size is an even number.

You made a 1 block gap in the screenshot above, so you will never be able to repeat the same pattern.

PS> This is my favorite deco wood, so I used it in several builds and I know how limiting it is.
After the first build with those blocks, I learnt that I start placing them first to know where the patterns occur, and then I adjust the rest of the build (walls, doors etc.) to the (fixed by world) position of the pattern.

I can’t rebuild half of my house just to place a block… It’s quite absurd that a block with a pattern cannot be placed to always show the pattern.

1 Like

You are welcome to add your support to this thread that I did a long while ago:

I still believe a simple tool allowing a person to rotate through all combinations (not ideal) is way better than what we have now. I am against pitch-forks but if some people want to threaten that to get this feature added I could look the other way. @James @lucadeltodecso can we look at some simple development around this. Anything to help a person not spend hours trying to look the right way and place the right way to get the pattern they want. At least a tool allowing us to rotate (maybe like Space Engineers does or like I talk about in my original post above) would be a win.

3 Likes

I’ll gladly give my support to the thread. No pitchfork but rotation, in a game about building, is a basic feature expecially for blocks that have a pattern. A tool to rotate will be perfect, or a tool to move a block from one place to another.

See what you mean and under stand it but in this case the steps are followed no mater the pattern. Yes these are difficult to work with.

But no matter witch pattern used:

• block orientation and placement stays the same for both “placed against top/below and side of a block and facing to the East or West direction“.

Only giving you 3 placement options no mater the pattern.

Again don’t get me wrong, think i ran across this issue before but left it back then as is. Or changed the plan to make it work.
Also I don’t know if more block types have this issue (some cases way to hard to see or have even fewer “rotations). But its fairly noticeable now i have become aware of it fully.

Recommend trying placing down in the different directions and options available to us. And try it out no matter witch pattern you use you will have the same issue.

Again not to start a fight we tend to miss these things with bigger projects thus not pay attention to this. :wink:

1 Like