Planning for 2017 - Contribute your ideas!

more graphics options like
shader-low,med,hi
graphics-fastest,fast,simple,good,Beautiful,fantastic
Screen resolution-320 x 200 through 1280 x 800
and others

oh and offline private worlds

voice chat

type chating

Linux combatible

STEAMOS too

More race options

What do you mean by this?

Chat with other people using the keyboard

Oh what about voice chat

1 Like

@shadowelit7: could you please keep the style of expected answers. I appreciate your enthusiasm and that you like to contribute but ā€œone word answersā€ without any explanation and a huge number of answers in a row donā€™t help anyone to understand your suggestion. Please add at least a few sentences why you suggest your idea and what you mean with the idea (e.g. ā€œtype chatingā€ as you explained with ā€œChat with other people using the keyboardā€ is already in game like @onebitknightly already told you ).

6 Likes

1. Totally rework a broken MAJOR current feature:

PORTALS
Portals that stay open to locations on the same planet, even if they are super expensive or just cost some type of fuel to manetain. Lower cheeper version works for owner only and more expensive can be set for owner/friends/everyone. Note I think both ends of the portal needs to be setup before it can be activated.

2. Tweak a broken MINOR current feature:

IN GAME CHAT
The Notices of picking up stuff make me miss when someone types to me. Maybe separate text chanels or some way to filter it + notification of message.
Voice Chat would be excelent if it could be done.

3. Essential MAJOR feature before 1.0:

MAP
Please add at least a mini-map of the surface, if not a full map. also make the map have a fog of war of where the player hasnā€™t yet been to help with the exploring aspect.
MARKET
Some way of finding selling and buying plinths, either

1. having the Buy/Sell plinths marked on the compass/map.
  2. Allowing the owner of the beacon to be able to set it to display different symbols, house for home, marketplace for market etc and have that displayed on the compass/map.
  3. Different beacons for different purposes. Such as a market beacon which cannot be expanded much if any, with a bonus of some sort for placing itā€™s market area next to someone elses market area. (Personally I like this 3rd option as it encourages market places to congregate making comparing prices, and finding larger markets with more goods easier.)

4. Add a MINOR feature in next update:

METAL DETECTOR, ARTIFACT DETECTOR, GEM DETECTOR
Tool that detects and shows a glow/something that shows metal ore is 2-3 blocks behind the visable block, possibly starting at 1 block behind and tiered up to 3 blocks behind. The range that the detections starts should be limited to very close to where the character is, to prevent CPU/Network stress.
FARMING
Planting crops etc possilby use them not just for food but as alchemical ingredients and potion making and maybe for dyeing Blocks/clothing (if this gets added). types of plants limited to different biomes / soil types / planets atmospheresā€¦
ARMOR/CLOTHING
Being able to craft clothing and/or armor. Clothing for appearance and armor for the defensive attributes/Buffs. Also good as loot drops.

5 Likes

I would like to see the Beacon system reworked. Specifically I would like to see the implementation of a beacon socket system that allows for different beacon effects. For example: A beacon socketā€™d with an emerald beacon keystone would, when broken, pick up the entirety of blocks in an owned plot and when place would deposit said blocks. It would act as a mobile home beacon. Allowing players to pick up and move with out having to spend an enormous amount of time rebuilding a home. Different Gems would provide different effects. One could allow for the building of homes underwater, one for duplicating and selling of pre-built homes, etc.

The visual Distinction between ore blocks. As it stands the current textures are horribly smiler with regards to gold/copper, iron/soft coal/coal, silver/titanium. This is even worse when viewed from a distance.

I would like to see a Materials stat system be implemented. What I mean is I want different resources from different planets to have different stats. For example: Iron from Vulpto produces hammers that break a block in two hits, but has terrible durability. While iron from Solum takes five hits to break a block, but has wonderful durability. The ability to use the Mixer to create alloys that min/max stats would be nice too.

The implementation of letters, mail, suggestion boxes,and signs. It would be awesome to be able to write letters, put them in a mail box. Then another player comes along, picks up the letter, and carries it to the recipients mail box to deliver it.

5 Likes

That currently already featureā€¦ Thatā€™s why i mentioned it

Ok hereā€™s my post in the correct format. No i will not pick one major feature before 1.0!! Weā€™re too far away for ONE. :stuck_out_tongue:

In my opinion all of my features are required, not in order of priority. As Iā€™ve stated many times it is also my opinion that features as fundamental as these should not be added any later than 1.0. I wouldnā€™t stop playing the game if any single one of my features werenā€™t considered but I probably would if more than a couple of them werenā€™t. MMOs survive on players customising their experience with a range of immersive playing styles.

Crafting / levelling system.
The need to mine in this game at the moment is far too heavy/time consuming. Iā€™m capped at 50 mining with the rest of my skills around 5-10.
Mining needs to yield better rewards and be way faster at breaking blocks. If this game is supposed to be itā€™s own game with minecraft components, the speed of breaking blocks should be at least as fast as minecraft, if not much faster. The game should have enough content that we shouldnā€™t have to spend longer building something in boundless than minecraft.
Since wood and rock are a core part of almost everything, we need more stones/sticks/timber from each block. But all the recipes/tool durabilities need their costs rethinking!

Warp costs - totally incompatible with any in-game economy. Players would need previous warp jumps refunded IF levelling continues to be the only influx of coins.

3. Essential MAJOR feature(s) before 1.0:

ā€“Titans
ā€“Guilds with beacon management, beacon permissions like ā€œcan build wallsā€,ā€œcanā€™t access storageā€, ā€œcan use machinesā€, ā€œcanā€™t use sparkā€ etc
ā€“Temples
ā€“Achievement/progression system (what we have at the moment is pitiful :slight_smile:) - something that allows us to focus stats/skill points to improve our character in a variety of abilities/areas that we can choose from. Should be heavily biased towards co-operative play. For example, rewards for building beacons side by side other players making a connected building, rewards for using plinths, rewards for trading players tools like grapple hooks (samaritan kind of thing). Rewards can just be skill points to modify your character attributes to give better efficiency, better yields etc.
ā€“Machines that are able to mine rocks/chop trees and require fuel, axes/hammers. Would also be nice to have a machine or system in place to speed up the ā€œswapā€ of temporary blocks (gravel/stones) for crafted building blocks.
ā€“Plants. Plants we can grow, plants we can harvest. (Ideally Iā€™d like to have the option of focusing on being a farmer, with the end result being a variety of food that have varied effects when consumed) - should be a core part of gameplay similar to alchemy perhaps.
ā€“Creature taming/rearing (same situation as above regarding farming and/or creatures for transport)
ā€“Sign blocks
ā€“Permanent Portals
ā€“NPC Merchants/Creature loot drops/some repeatable influx of coins - NOT a capped influx per player as currently implemented
ā€“Some sort of water interaction. Boats, ability to pour water or water as a resource/fuel. Iā€™d love to fuel machines with water powered turbines or something.
-Some sort of transport system, Iā€™d love the idea of hang gliding or riding creatures. Maybe some sort of super expensive vehicle/road system, something that would require guild co-operation that would be seen rarely but when made, on a big scale.

Pick one of the easiest ones from above :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pretty sure they said they are going to wait with farming to after 1.0 to ensure that we get a polished system and not just a ā€œtill dirt wait for plant to growā€ thing

1 Like

I the donā€™t rush part is why I think they are delaying it, I very much prefer less features but more polished than covering all bases from the start but lacking in depth and groundwork for the feature.

Having a solid base game thats entertaining in its own right seems to me more important than adding a couple of extra half polished features. And thats cming from someone who uses half my time in minecraft farming (and their farming is really just ā€˜till dirt, plant then harvestā€™)

3 Likes

Farming wasnā€™t one of the features the game advertiesed I think?

1 Like

What @Thorbjorn42gbf is saying is that it is already been determined that agriculture is a feature that requires more time and focus than what there is time for including before the 1.0 release. Instead, it will be released as a sort of 1.1 update with enough in-depth features as to justify itā€™s separate release. It does not add enough to the core gameplay loop to necessitate being included in 1.0, especially in a lesser form.

3 Likes

Aight, so I was struggling for a way to suggest that you try not to be so condescending, but decided to let it slide. Now I see that it needs to be said.

Chill, man. The only thing we are doing is informing you that a concensus has already been reached regarding agriculture. There will always be features that donā€™t make 1.0 cut, but will be included in later updates. If you feel strongly enough that you want to re-open an existing topic regarding agri, or make a case for its 1.0 inclusion, I welcome you to do so. But do so in a respectable manner please. Rude retorts are not necessary.

5 Likes

There sort of is. Thereā€™s a magnifying glass on the top right of the screen. It lets you search the forums. For example, you could searching ā€œfarmingā€, ā€œagricultureā€, ā€œgrowingā€, and ā€œfoodā€ and see all of the posts where those have been discussed and then you could see the dev reply thatā€™s been repeatedly given to you by @Thorbjorn42gbf and @Havok40k :wink:

Iā€™m half kidding. I think the main issue here is that you were told what the existing plan is for a feature you brought up. And you fought back. And it was explained again. And you fought back again. As Havok said, if itā€™s something you feel super strongly about you are of course welcome to make a case for itā€™s inclusion. But doing so by saying ā€œI understand what youā€™re saying but hereā€™s how I think it could be done and because of this aspect of my proposal it would be efficient enough to be included in 1.0ā€ will go WAY better than ā€œthis sucks. Thatā€™s what I think. Deal with it.ā€.

In general you seem to have a lot of really great feedback :smiley: Itā€™s beyond helpful to provide that feedback critically to the dev team. Instead of ā€œthis is pitifulā€ mention the specific aspects of features you donā€™t like, possible proposals of improving them, and what aspects you do like. Iā€™ve found this method of feedback to get the best results on these forums.

P.S. you may want to look up ā€œexpansion packsā€ or ā€œDLCā€ on google. Itā€™s sort of the way the gaming industry has been for a while, especially with MMOā€™s. <3

6 Likes

Fair enough, makes sense. I didnā€™t explain well enough what I meant about fundamental features being in the game for 1.0 because Iā€™m well aware of expansion packs. Iā€™ve played Everquest, EVE, WoW and a bunch of other small ones as well as the gimmicky franchise ones.

Almost all of the expansion packs Iā€™ve seen have added content, worlds and new ideas building on the same fundamentals. Everquest is slightly different because itā€™s early years before the guild system came in were very struggled and it was a very cult game. But once they hit the right features it boomed and expansion packs thereafter followed the WoW model, what they should have done was the same model as boundless and called it 1.0 when they were happy with their features etc rather than experimenting and failing to hold their player base.

Sorry for not explaining it well and sorry if I still havenā€™t! Thatā€™s all Iā€™ll say about my ā€œdonā€™t rush the game outā€ argument, Iā€™ll edit my main post with more details about the features.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure this is because it is still a work in progress but, combat seems very unsatisfying, uninspired and unclear at the moment. There isnā€™t any indication other than health bars that you have hit your target or that you have been hit or taken falling damage. Need more SFXs and animations to make it active, exciting and clear.

Add an item counter for completed items in workstations. Currently there are counters for craftable items and queued items but nothing to tell you that there are completed items.

The ability to build permenent roads between towns without spending a ton of land claim points.

Abilty to place crafting tables next to each other. Unless Iā€™m doing it wrong I canā€™t place one next to another but I can place them next to other workstations.

5 Likes

so true, and usefull tips for devs.
100% agree with 1. 2. 3.

I regret that I have thus far failed in my duty to provide feedback to this post! Iā€™m hope itā€™s not too late for me to contribute useful feedback!

Combat! I know others have already mentioned this, but I just want to add my voice that I feel this is a top priority for a rework!

Mining speed. I feel that the number of hits per tool is just fine, but perhaps if the time between hits is shortened and the animation sped up to match, that may translate to faster game pacing?

Guild support! We have not heard much since this was hotly debated last year, but the game is quickly reaching a point that guild support is nigh mandatory! Just look at the number of market places and settlements that have sprung up in the latest live build! Proper guild support may boost this trend to yet unseen heights!

Signs. Please. Signs.

17 Likes

After playing the game for a couple of hours I have to say I realy like the concept and artstyle of the game! Reading this post, I came up with a few features I think should be added to the game.

In its current state, the only way to get coins is by traiding and leveling up skills. If players want to warp a lot, I believe a better system has to be made to earn coins (currency) in the game.

I love that we can warp to different planets! It is a key feature for me to start playing Boundless:). In game, I traveled a long way from my base to ā€˜ā€˜set upā€™ā€™ a second base, hoping I could warp in between. Perhaps the system is already in place, or being worked on, but I cannot warp on the same planet and would love to have this feature before 1.0.

Please implement a fully functional skill tree. Perhaps in combination with a deeper combat system? As other users would state they want faster miningspeeds, perhaps earned skillpoints can be used in order to speed this process? Or after a set skill level, drop 2 resources from a single blok? Due to the large need for coal:)

It is my understanding that the only way to make friends is to find each other in game. Due to the planet sizes, it would be easier to make this feature easier for players. Perhaps a search feature?

Thank you for an amazing game! I am eager to see where this is going:)

4 Likes