Plans for Mining/Miners (skills, etc.)

I’m just curious what are the planned features for mining. Currently, I feel like mining feels pretty basic and each time I’m harvesting stacks of stones (exploiting the exp hihi) some of my brain cells are dying and in turn, feels really grindy. I actually don’t complain about it being grindy but I guess it can be both grindy and fun. Some ideas to share with:

SP Consuming Skil (Active Skill)

• Power Hit - When activated, you can 1 hit the next block (Durability management for those expensive tools. Will keep you thinking while mining)

• Adrenaline Rush - You’ll have faster swings for a couple of seconds. (Time management. You’ll activate this skill when you found a vein of seam that interests you…or when you’re mass mining rock to exploit its crafting exp)

• Exploding Hit - Cause it’s fast and fun

• etc

Passive Skill

• Timing Swings - Not really quite sure how to implement this but I’m referencing the previous games I’ve played where simple encounters were really fun due to this

• Paper Mario - JRPG style battle. You’re attack only consists of a jump on an enemy but if you have good timings (press a button at the same time you hit the enemy), it can reach iirc infinite jumps.
  • Legend of Dragoon - Easier to show this short clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzabuxIhOz8

• Double Swing - a chance to swing twice (duh)

• I was thinking critical but this conflicts with the existing tool critical.

These are just some thoughts that I had while my brain is idling while mining. No offense intended with the dumbing down of current mining system. The fun that I have currently while mining are from the the insane jump height, wall climbing, grappling hook, and double jump which most of them, I believe, came from explorer tier. After I’ve unlocked them, I feel like I’m spiderman lol.

13 Likes

I’m the same here. As long as it doesn’t feel like I’m taking forever to do anything meaningful: like when you don’t yet have points into attributes and tool mastery, it’s just really boring.

I like your active skill ideas too.

3 Likes

Personally I gained around 1million exp from mining alone before the update… so this doesn’t even come close to the word “grindy” :stuck_out_tongue: but that being said in the next update they are lowering crafting xp, so mining may take over as the primary means of earning a ton of exp quickly (all the higher tier ores give tons).

I would love to see some abilities/skills related to mining, and I’d like to think that the abilities yet explained in the skill tree will give us some progress towards that.

Really I just want to know what future plans are for gems… at the moment I keep dreading the 1.0 release of gem distribution and the possibility of groups of players essentially locking off entire regions for gem mining, especially if there are only 10% viable mountains across an entire planet (nasharil) :frowning:

3 Likes

Some more skill ideas that I feel would be awesome are ones that temporarily give lesser hammers qualities of higher hammers such as mining multiple blocks or the ability to mine resources they normally would not be able to for a short time.

Also skills that affect durability consumption would be cool too… no durability loss after mining a resource (copper iron gold ect) for x secs and some sort of CD… ability to charge a hit ( similar to Bows) to do more damage but mine slower or ability to charge a hit to mine additional blocks at the same time… a lot of this could also be addressed by an Alchemy system that could be further balanced by the mats needed to craft the potions.

These of course would be balanced with long(er) cool Downs slash being expensive skill point wise to attain to ensure only dedicated miners would take them (and maybe only one or 2 at that)… also Alchemy would promote trade and deeper specialization as a minor not might not be able to master both.

Also there could be a set of “Grandmaster skills” of which a player could only take one to further balance and promote specialization.

Just my random thoughts ^^

4 Likes

Your thoughts with the alchemy idea (which I like quite a lot by the way) are similar to why I suggested (somewhere) about temporary weapon enhancements that can be crafted; it would be something else to craft, use, and trade.

2 Likes

There’s already planned updates for modifying tools, it’s called the forge, and it’s in the works.

3 Likes

Thanks for that.

Using the search, found some info about it:

2 Likes

While mining I’ve thought of something again (kind of my shower thoughts version lol).

I really want an effective addition to mining that will be simpler for the devs to develop and fun for us players. Will just be throwing these random ideas again.

• (Probably the most feasible one) Passive skill for miners that can be called something like “Eye of a miner”. This skill activates right after your first hit on the block. Once few cracks are showing, some part of the block would highlight indicating that “This part is weaker” so hitting that spot should result to block being broken easily (inflict additional damage in simpler terms).

• Timed release of mouse clicks while hitting - Similar to FFX Tidus’ overdrives but in our case, it’s when we release mouse click. Might be annoying though since we’ll be re-clicking multiple times while mining.

• To keep my self entertained, I subconsciously dance while mining (mostly cha-cha) haha. Exploring on character movements, I’m thinking if you’re running while hitting, it will give more impact. Shitty idea I know…

• Randomly placed number sequence on the block that you should hit chronologically for more damage.

Yeah that’s about it for now. Hoping that some more excitement will be added for miners :wink:

1 Like

Current mining hit range is ridiculously very long at I think about 5 meter range. I feel like this type of ability should only be available to dedicated miners and base hit range could be at 2 meters only. I’m considering two options to balance this out:

1. As mentioned previously, add hit range extension ability in miner’s skill tree.
  2. Retain the current hit range and give damage reduction to player’s without that specific miner ability.

Just an idea to give further distinction to miners and hopefully encourage professionalism.

1 Like

Just thought I’d mention that in the testing, the base range is shorter, but is affected by the control attribute.

Edit: And while I myself would always be a miner, I think a player’s life shouldn’t be made awkward and difficult just for the sake of forcing them to spec into something they don’t want. But that’s my opinion.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t know that! My opinions probably are not that accurate as I’m not as experienced as most of the active members here. (about 40 hours of game time with the skill progression implemented).

I totally agree with your last statement but for me, miners are not distinct enough. For example, give a beginner and a high level miner same hammer and your only difference is probably 1-2 hits and about 1 sec swing speed for each block. It’s quite unfair given the amount of time the miner dedicated to mining. Unless, wielding higher grade hammer should also be unlocked.

3 Likes