Please Remake the Forging System

i would rather have a system similar to ESO, where you learn the effect 1st by deconstructing or researching the effect from acquired gear, afterwords to apply the effect to other items you simply need the effect material and maybe some sort of essence, in ESO you would add the trait material during the crafting of the gear item or even after crafting the item itself you have the option to apply an enchantment from crafted glyphs.

3 Likes

I haven’t missed anything. I should have said that I’ll look into their methods and give it a try. Just a little burned out from having gone through so many failed attempts. I still think the whole system needs redesigned even if I do start producing level 6 tools easily on the test server.

Even if I have the method down, still doesn’t mean I can’t do it on the live server. Lack of actual materials. But I can accept that it’s my own fault for not wanting to take my collective free time from all other video games and putting it into this one just so I can get to a better position. I am not blaming anyone for that. I did that myself to myself.

I just don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that the system could be redesigned in a better way than it has been implemented. Those that like the current system would benefit from it along with everyone else that plays.

I don’t understand why a crafting method needs to have skill in the first place, but I can understand the appeal people have towards it. I’ll still keep stabbing away at it cause I might as well figure something out in the current system just in case it never gives any improvements whatsoever. Just not a fan of grinding creature drops.

I am grateful for all the tips though.

1 Like

There are ways around the issue in some cases, in most cases if you are willing to settle for a lower grade result. but i disagree it is an actual skill to learn and that will fix the problem.the fact of the matter is. from what I have seen, there is enough RNG in the system such that your skill matters not if the RNG picks to say “████ ███” and give you the middle finger.

I feel this system was designed to make it such that, even with top of the line skill, you can not always get the best result. there is no other reason for RNG otherwise. They claim its to add excitement or something, but the only time RNG has ever done that for me is in PvP. MTGA is the only game I played where RNG has had a “decent” result for me, but even in that format it can lead to a decent amount of frustration.

If this was really a skill based problem, then there should be a situation where you can find a very very highly skilled player who can get the best results 95%+ of the time even in the face of the RNG trying its best to tell that player no. but as far as I know that is not the case, so while some of the problem might be due to the fact, the player may not know how the system works in full. and the skill that comes with knowing that Information. the RNG is still there in a large enough amount to really ruin your day if it wants to. and that is the problem that some people have with RNG. Some people don’t like the idea of materials they spent time getting to be wasted in such a way they feel like they had no control over the situation.

I don’t like RNG because I don’t like waiting for the game to tell me if I won or not. If I get a failure result then I want that to be on me due to lack of skill or making a mistake or such, not just because the game said so due to random chance.

Now I will admit this system is not nearly as bad as other RNG systems i have had the displeasure of using. But it is just bad enough to make me dread using it the noraml/correct way.

1 Like

I will say this… it’s one hell of a crafting material sink. I don’t ever want that to change.

But you suggested PoE-style crafting? Vaal orbs aren’t RNG as hell? Some of the best stuff comes from corrupting an already excellent item, which in itself is down to RNG on the drop of said item too.

I don’t have those either. My advice was given to you based on my solo experience. I am not content with the current system either. But I have to get on with it or struggle against it.

And again, I do agree completely with you on the two following points:

I get what I want 95% of the time. The RNG debate is tired. It isn’t true or real for people that regularly forge.

If you want it 100% then use the tactic shown on the forum for max forging using the paste to get high numbers after the patch.

So 100% is acheivable…this is not some heavy RNG system if you use it correctly.

However, the game could do a lot better articulating the rules of the forge and it’s outcomes so that players would stop thinking it is all RNG and see the impact of their decisions.

7 Likes

Sssshhhhh… its better if they believe its impossible.

4 Likes

Your right the more frustrated players get with systems like this the less they play and the more land and resources for you. Of course there won’t be anyone to sell to but that is a minor issue.

4 Likes

If you’re talking about Merlin’s method, I’ve tried it. Doesn’t work very well from the last one that I’ve seen him post up.

If not, care to link it to everyone?

Cause if it’s such a high probability of success, then it doesn’t really argue for an RNG system. You might think it’s a tired subject to discuss, but if it discourages players that is a bad thing.

What I am asking from you is specifically that link so I can, in my own time, run some tests on the method and see if it’s really that great.

The forge is rng by design, you can soften some of the rng with specific pastes and methods and tricks etc. You could call it skill to know these things and use them. But forge is rng to burn huge amount of materials, it’s very annoying and can get you to want to just stop playing after a forge session even after you have found good ways to do things.

I know of several “perfect” methods for forging. No quirks or defects on tools and t6 hammers each time. This is my own opinion of “perfect” of course. But I like the quirks now (except bouncy feet. Fk that.) I don’t use any of the perfect methods primarily because of cost. All of them use roadrunner feathers. And that’s just no good. Mostly because of the rng of getting any of those trophies.

My personal advice to anyone who hates the rng of the forge but wants result, deconstruction resin 3. Put it in the deck and use it when things look bad. It’s still rng heavy (says 75% chance to get each material back after several thousand forges it’s Def more like 50%) But, it does help you waste alot less materials. Second tip only ever aim for 2 boons. Aiming for 3 without experience is going to stretch your vigor and stability way too much. So only try for 2 boons max till you get the hang of it. Finally get enough power to make sure you have 200% efficiency with whatever you are forging. This is the biggest upgrade in the new system so enjoyment of the new system relies heavily on this.

But I agree that the rng is horrible, I have used every method to counter it and still fallen victim to it. It is brutal, By design, meant to burn through materials. It is coded and intended to burn through fat stacks of items. And I dislike this alot, even though I forge hundreds of items a day, I f***ing hate it. If they redid the system without rng, it would most likely be painfully grindy. I doubt I would like that in turn, so I have accepted the evil I know. (but still hate rng so much)

3 Likes

I was merely referencing to placing an item over another item to apply an effect to it. The same method can be used in Boundless just with no RNG. You crafted +damage % stone or book or orb and apply it to a tool, well you get that effect. Whether or not it RNGs between a minimum and maximum range is completely different but at least you’re getting +damage % on the item instead of spending a ton of resources to “maybe” get the Boon on an item.

On top of that, as the Centraforge gets more boons, quirks, and defects, the RNG is going to be more pronounced as you only have so many Stability and Vigour points to use with a limited size forging tray. It’s going to be impossible for them not to expand on what the Centraforge can put on items in future patches. Getting prepared for it now is better than having to fix the issue later on.

2 Likes

Stopped reading at not having access on live server. You havent even tried so stop complaining.

Forging is great. I can use different ingredients to mitigate how much rng can bone me and reliably produce quality forged goods.

If you dont want to deal with rng or LOL animations, buy forged stuff from a store.

2 Likes

The Augment system is there for players who want to craft-only improvements to their gear. If you’re only looking for boosting weapon attributes then the augments do exactly this. No RNG. Straight crafting.

Have you explored the Augments?

6 Likes

James are you telling me that hammers have augments now?

I am not talking about stuff similar to Slingbow or Bomb augments. I am talking about an item you craft that has a buff that you can apply to an item directly that doesn’t expire. Similar to how items can be forged with boons. It’s just these buffs that are provided with what I am suggesting would be slightly less potent than what the forging effects are. It provides more robust crafting, less rng (which helps with player retention), enables similar crafting material sinks to not screw with economy, and is a less of a time waster.

I am not trying to suggest to remove the system. I just think it needs redesigned to feel less grindy is all. Perhaps this wasn’t really something that got tested properly during early access since I think that’s when it was introduced into the game. It’s a cool concept, just don’t like the current implementation of it. I think it could be done a lot better.

2 Likes

I didnt rly ever get into “forging train”. It seemed a bit too complex. Nowadays i dont even bother to learn it.

I miss days when we actually had just specific aoe patterns on specific gem type.
It was a lot clearer and i would say more people would like that more than forging.
That being said i understand you gotta add features that gives players something to do and spend their mats.

3 Likes

the actual problem is that theres nothing to add for tools. Like Aoe. Power. Etc. Im using augments for weapons and would use for tools if there would be some.

Edit. You have added many features with alternative options (something for everyone)… why not with this too?

2 Likes

I’d rather just grind the market and buy forged tools… more work less headache

1 Like

Yeah I’ll probably end up doing that. I don’t ever see forging changing for the better for the majority of the players out there.

1 Like

I regularly forge and I only had about an 80% success rate of getting “what i want” before the changes to the forge, after the new changes that dropped down to around 50%. Now days I just settle for something that is acceptable and still serves its function but it is not “what i want”. and if I settle for something that is just acceptable then yes my success rate for that is 100% due to a bug.

While I agree that more Information is better. That doesn’t suddenly make it not RNG. Let us suppose the base chance of you getting the roll you wanted is 50% and using the correct parts you can suppress part of the RNG so the chance of you getting the roll you are wanting is 80%. That is still a 20% chance of failure and knowing this information as a fact doesn’t suddenly make it any less RNG. The random chance is still there you just now know the odds.

I also want to make it clear that RNG obviously goes both ways, Sometimes the RNG favors you and gives you good results. Other times it doesn’t favor you and dampens your results, and sometimes the RNG is neutral enough to have a minimal impact, but it is RNG never the less.

Would be cool to have AOE tool augments.

1 Like