PM Lag

My PMs sometimes lag by 5 min or more. I imagine this is because I have a large enough number of PM channels, that cycling through takes 5 minutes or more. This is much worse for other players who’ve been around longer (and shorter) than me.

I will imagine that “scalability” means that chat should work well, even if you have 10 alts that are a part of 10 guilds each and some wanton number of PM channels. And based on the discussion below, it should work like “client checking a letterbox for mail.”

Somehow or other, say/shout/whisper seems to work fine. Guild chat is funky because multiple people receive each message. Maybe the following approach will work anyway for guild because it is limited to 100 channels (10 alts, 10 guilds each)

My suggestion is that when user A sends a message to user B, a Helper channel is updated on the server’s end. So, there’s an update to A’s PM channel, B’s PM channel, and A’s Helper channel, and B’s Helper channel. Helper channel is simply a helper tool which records the timestamp and identifier of any PM channel that has been updated. Rather than cycling randomly through PM channels looking for new messages, the client just asks Helper Channel if there have been any new PMs based on the timestamp in the log, and if it finds any, THEN it requests a real update for a channel based on the identifier in the log. When those real updates are received, old data in Helper channel older than some buffer time can be deleted, since it’s just a helper tool. Also, if there are two updates for channel A listed in Helper Channel, you just keep the most recent one.

Helper channel means temporarily storing roughly 2x more chat data in the worst case scenario (where every channel literally just has 1 message, and Helper channel has <= 1 message for every channel). But you can reduce stress on the backend by 2 or more (reduce rate of checks) while increasing responsiveness (since you should get PM updates at an equal rate of checking Helper).

I’m not a computer science guy so this probably has lots of mistakes I’m not seeing, but I’m trying to suggest a simple way to solve the PM lag problem while not changing too much about how chat currently works.

Quote source

Quote from Release 239: Lovestruck and Prototype Creative Mode!:

3 Likes

tl;dr

I think PMs lag because client checks all channels in turn. For PMs, I suggest way for client to frequently check 1 centralized channel for faster updates using fewer updates.

3 Likes

Quite agree, been a thorn in the side ever since they added Guilds (same update pattern).

2 Likes

The same whit guild messages

1 Like