[POLL] - Do you want local universes?

With Monumental taking over and hopefully getting development underway at some point in the near future I was wondering just how many people want or will use local universes and if so, if they would still play the main Boundless universe.

Do you want local universes?
  • Yes
  • No
  • What are local universes?
0 voters
Would you still play the main Boundless MMO universe?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I’ll never leave the main universe!
0 voters
3 Likes

Ill definitely would like local universe /dedicated server option, would love to add boundless to my dedicated server list. I will also play main universe but probably focus more on the other

How about you @Redlotus ?

1 Like

Really doesn’t matter game is good as is but down the road if this game does get worked on mods might be a reality so Playing a modded version of the game sounds pretty good to me. Just like Minecraft tekkit.

3 Likes

I have zero interest in local universes.

4 Likes

I threw my hat in on the smaller side of yes, mostly just so the game can live in a non mmo version in the event the mmo ends up getting it’s plug pulled, so long as the mmo was still running I don’t see really any reason I’d run on a local version, the mmo is what brought me here

3 Likes

I had actually considered typing the same thing, but at that point while I am sure I might play it, my interest to manage or play on a managed server just isn’t there. Having played on servers managed by the same people playing Ive just seen too much favoritism etc. where someone gives themselves or others items and stuff. Just not my cup of team.

4 Likes

Exactly this :100: as a game admin too you have rules, and each player is equal and noone is a friend but a player

1 Like

In multiplayers Minecraft, I always kept a supply of torches and arrows on hand. Those were the items that ran out quickly.

1 Like

How’s does local universe work is it a 1 time payment or is it another monthly payment?

1 Like

im really not sure, owning all Universe? generating all planets as you want them to be? making own exos? just expanded creativerse?

i just still have loads to do in game as it is :smiley: i think i might to hop on others local universes to see the planet creativity but its all, if i want to build at others planets i have dozens of sovs to pick :smiley: and now i dont have perma world build :smiley:

i really dont see the local universe purpose?

I don’t think it was any additional cost. Someone more aware like @Xaldafax may can chime in. In this thread you can read about them:

Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes! - News / Releases - Boundless Community (playboundless.com)

The only thing the semi interested me with local servers was this:

The ability to network local servers into our own version of what we have now would be pretty cool. SO technically if the main servers did go down, we could technically connect all the local servers possibly.

3 Likes

This was just a free extension of the game. I’d expect going forward there is no guarantee this wouldn’t become paid content. Obviously the new owners will be very interested in any situation that returns their investment quickly. We are likely not in the same situation where we had a game company that was using outside money to fund a passion project (also used to showcase their game engines) that they hoped could ultimately become profitable.

Anyway, since the DB and Server was designed to be fully hosted by the Devs it had to be reworked.
Once the DB and Server components were redone it would allow anyone to host their own worlds/universe and any allowed person to connect. There was still a requirement to connect back to the core infrastructure (I think long term that might have gone away.) Overall the idea is basically a “sovereign” world but you ran it on your own computer or servers. Since the worlds would be out of control of the devs (meaning could me modded or hacked) it was going to be using the same basics as our creative worlds - a copy of your character that would load when you went through the portal.

This setup is the best scenario to keep the overall game from being fragmented. If you didn’t link the different versions some way then people might never cross paths. You’d have “public world players” and “private world players.” At least this allows people to go and explore, make friends, build, etc.

We know many people left because of various new player experiences or too many people pushing on their lands, etc. A hybrid approach like this helps solve a lot of things because just redoing “new player experience” will not solve the large problems the game has with conflict and other building challenges that plots and footfall create.

3 Likes

Because an mmo sandcastle building game, will no doubt attract people who wish to knock over someone else’s sandcastle. Such is life at the beach…

Two main things I think it brings (and a bonus they showed in the update).

First, if you don’t have a regular connection to the internet it allows you to still purchase and play what is arguably one of the best voxel building games on the market.

Secondly, it essentially gives an option to have sov planets without having to spend money on paying for a server to host it, it’s just online when you are.

Bonus, they made tech for this update so you could get all the main resources on just 3 planets, allowing biomes of biomes that let you have different atmosphere type protections needed in different areas of the same planet, which allows for say gem mining in one area, and a say level 3 area to build in… I was a big fan of this way of making planets, but i know the community at the time was a little mixed with that idea (saying to keep it out of the public worlds).

1 Like

I don’t think the audience for the local universes is the same audience for the MMO. Polling the current player base is not a very effective method of determining the global audience for local universes. Personally, I’m not interested and voted no. I don’t have any complaints about adding them to the game, though, because it is a new revenue stream for supporting the game.

Who would play on these servers? People setting them up for their children. People who want easier content but not full creative mode. People who have trouble playing nice with others.

There is a ton of different reasons why someone might want to play the game in single player or coop mode, and they are valid reasons. Just because people who like MMO’s don’t want to play alone, doesn’t mean there isn’t a huge potential player base who does.

1 Like

but we cant transfer resources from local to public and vice versa?

No. As it stands, Local Universes are hosted on your PC and are not part of the main universe.

got it so its like playing minecraft alone but with multiple planets for building, like having 50 own sovs but for free

well it for sure can bring more players into Boundles, if you can freely switch between singleplayer and multiplayer mode just turning on/off internet connection :slight_smile:

You wouldn’t need to switch off the internet connection. You just run local planets - which people can do now by going into the Sanctum under the dev area.

Also this is about much more than just “like playing minecraft.” A HUGE (VERY HUGE) amount of people left because they didn’t like the grind and plot situations on the public universe. We lost a ton of great builders that left. Local universes would have given us the ability for them to stay in a less grindy way and allow all of us to experience those great builds. Boundless was always more of a building game than MMO to many people. Local universes gives everyone the best of both worlds and hurts nothing.

2 Likes

It’s an odd one really. You have creative worlds for the builder with no restrictions… then you have the local servers where you can technically tweak “some” things IIRC.

If people want to build there’s creative worlds, but I suppose they do cost money…I have yet to visit one in almost 3 years though. I figure, if someone wants me to come see their build on their local server, I doubt I’d go, when a screenshot will be more the sufficient.

So if Apt, Georgio, or Kal-El or some of the other great builders built locally you wouldn’t go to look? Of course you would because those builds are better experienced in person than looking at a picture.

I know like Georgio would stay public… but Kal-El didn’t like the grind and we lost a great builder because of that where a local world would have kept him around likely. Many others left for this reason.

2 Likes