Poll for refined gleam prestige value

Hi everyone,

as most of you know a lot of ppl are stacking refined gleams to boost their prestige just to eat other settelemnts or cities. Refined gleam is very easy to get and it gives way too much prestige, compared to deco blocks (wood,stone) or bricks.

Im starting a vote so devs can see ppl feelings about it :slight_smile:

• Lower refined gleam prestige
  • Leave refined gleam prestige as it is
  • Change prestige counting method for beacons
  • Dont do anything, its fine as it is

0 voters

5 Likes

there could be an easy solution for this: the more gleam/refined gleam in relation to other blocks are in a plot the higher will be the prestige reduction on the amount which the refined gleam /gleam create.

EDIT: But it should be changed in the way that builders who use gleam to only decorate their structures with gleam didnt loose any prestige but players who have like more than 35% to 40% of an plot filled with gleam loose prestige

4 Likes

I haven’t voted, but I was considering this the other day, that there should be a factor similar to the exotic for using TOO much of a certain type of block (say refined gleam) would effectively reduce the amount of prestige and make people consider using other blocks and create more interesting builds.

3 Likes

If you paid attention to anything the devs have said and done, you would know the devs are having conversations already to find a solution and fix things.

I would just fix it such that every face of a block that is not completely hidden from view generates a 5% prestige bonus.

Example: Wall, floor, ceiling blocks would get 10% bonus since the outer face and inner face is not hidden. A naked floating block would get a 30% bonus. A block buried in a pit would get a 0% bonus. That way, building an actual structure would generate more prestige per block than a block pit WITHOUT NERFING block pits.

Lol nerf :upside_down_face:

This would also encourage people to make their most beautiful blocks more visible.

1 Like

Where’s the option to Remove Prestige from the game, or change it so it isn’t based on Blocks, or have all blocks worth the same? where are the actually worthwhile options to vote for?

I enjoy increasing my prestige, so i would prefere it if they only nerf the gleam prestige instead of changing how it gets calculated (rip my work). Also this is one of the main parts of the game and the competition between settlements to keep players building, so i think that we can’t just remove it.

On the other side it is bad for the community, because people start to use decorative blocks and gleam for everything.

And to be fair, the main issue here is that other players are farming prestige, else this wouldn’t be such a huge issue like it is right now. You can’t fix that issue without changing how prestige gets calculated.

Edit:
Guess i’m wrong, if we look at a settlement like “gleamtown”, where people don’t try to farm prestige but their main blocks are gleam, which would be a huge difference for other settlements, sorry.

Are you aware you dislike all the mechanics that make this game unique?

As for gleam. It’s fine, IMO. Not enough of a deal to worry about. If they nerfed it a little, I wouldn’t care, either.

3 Likes

Are you aware that just cause a feature makes a game unique, doesn’t mean that it’s a good feature? Or that you can remove or change the feature for something better?

To be honest, every one of your posts is how to make the game crappy. Perhaps you should just quit the game. None of your suggestions are a good idea for the game. “remove footfall” “remove prestige” next it’s gonna be “remove beacons and plots”

7 Likes

I think it would help to lower gleam prestige a little considering how easy it is to get.

As far as changing how prestige is calculated, I think the current system is fine if you understand what it represents. Prestige right now essentially measures how much effort went into producing the materials that make up the build. More advanced materials that are more difficult to make award more prestige. And I think that’s fine. People keep saying it ought to represent how aesthetically pleasing a build is, but that’s impossible to calculate algorithmically because it’s highly subjective and personal. Maybe prestige should have a different name, to avoid confusion.

I do think there should also be some way to reward builders that create aesthetically pleasing builds. I don’t think prestige is the right tool for this. Maybe instead use some sort of ‘like’ system, though care would need to be taken to ensure it can’t be gamed.

1 Like

Prestige is fine. This is just a number. People can use it to compare their build for fun and build the tallest sandcastle.

However, the settlements management system should not be involved with this.
It force mayors who want to be in charge to play sandcastle instead of focusing on the community.

2 Likes

Prestige also factors into Footfall as well, along with if your a settlement or not, the capital, and if you’re the Warden/Leader of the settlement.

Nothing about Prestige is just for comparing builds, and people can just make underground vaults to artificially inflate the number, which is the issue.

Isn’t refined stone more prestige than refined gleam though…?

If I recall, stone refines at 8:1 while gleam refines at 1:1. It’s way easier to get refined gleam than refined stone.

2 Likes

Dang!
We just found where the issue come from.
Seem the mayor legitimacy and sandcastle scoreboard game got switched.

Or people would just make their gleam towers / buried prestige vaults into a checkerboard of block - air - block - air to game the system even further and add even more prestige for even less effort.

2 Likes

I suppose this is as good of a place as any to write up my thoughts on Refined Gleam values;

Refined Gleam ‘might’ be okay - though there are other blocks in the same Prestige category that certainly need a buff (the main one being Bricks, which consists of 4 different materials, and are far harder to mass produce than Refined Gleam)

There are also Ornate Doors with the same value, that require Power, and Gem Torches, which require Gems (though you can make a large quantity of these, so they also might be okay)

The more pressing Prestige concerns for me are both natural blocks, and crafting quantities;

All these blocks are worth 0 Prestige; ‘Ash, Clay, Silty Soil, Peaty Soil, Metaphoric Rocks, Sedimentary Rocks, Igneous Rocks, Waxy Foliage, Lush Foliage, Exotic Foliage, Twisted Wood, Ancient Wood, Lustrous Wood, Sand, Gravel, Growth, Sponge, Tangle, Thorns, Mud, Glacier and Ice.’

Place enough of them and you’ll even reduce your Prestige score based on a natural block modifier. That’s around 1/3 of all possible blocks (not including meshes) that the Prestige system discourages you to use. With building being the strongest aspect of this game, I don’t feel such a large number of blocks should be discouraged.

Remove the natural block modifier, and give natural blocks at least some Prestige value.

As for crafting quantities, it’s currently easier to get larger amounts of higher tier blocks than it is to get lower tier blocks, which is counter intuitive, but also skews block choice. Mass Batch crafting (which just about all of us use) lets you gain more blocks than you started with, effectively making the source block the rarest and most difficult to obtain in large numbers, yet has a lower Prestige value; and in most cases, absolutely no Prestige value at all.

Lower crafting amounts so that a Mass Craft is equal to or lower than the base value you began with. This will cause backlash, no doubt (like everything), but it’s how it should have been to begin with, and will be better for the game in the long run.

6 Likes

My build is like, literally half natural blocks. Because I like trees. D=

I wanna change my vote!!

2 Likes

Strongly agree with this point. Particularly in light of the (new?) system for detecting if a block is player-placed or naturally spawned that was used to stop the farming of shimmering orbs from player-placed growth.

The same bit of code could be used to differentiate the prestige value of the pre-spawned stuff in the plot vs. the player-placed blocks, if that is ‘the problem’ with natural blocks that led to the zero to negative values.

Strongly disagree with this. It makes perfect sense to me that mass crafting should be more efficient.
Changing this might help with prestige, but it would have a large impact on crafting and the economy and that is a can of worms best left unopened.

2 Likes