Poll for refined gleam prestige value

I stopped worrying about prestige long ago. On my first planet Lasaina I built a house and then a refined wood bunker underneath for prestige, put in a thousand or so pieces and lost interest in it. As a mostly solo player I was never going to compete with the big settlements, so I stopped trying. I moved to Boori and am now building based on what I want my build to look like. My prestige score is fair but it isnt my priority I just want my build to look nice, but there are those damned gleam towers popping up around my once desserted area sigh.
I think prestige is a pretty novel idea with great potential but will take time to get to a stage where everyone is happy with it (if ever). I guess what Im trying to say is we just play the way we want, if you wanna be Viceroy, sure dig a massive hole and fill it back up with gleam. Or, if youre like me and just enjoy trying to be creative, let the whole prestige system drop off your radar and build something that is prestigious in other ways…

3 Likes

That’s not the problem. The problem is why is gleam, specifically refined gleam, valued at such a higher prestige than other refined blocks? They should be equal. There’s nothing hard about gathering it. The only difference is it emits light.

I don’t think production or acquisition is the problem. It’s the skewed prestige values it has.

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t be heartbroken if it became 0 prestige because I don’ use it for that.

Now I’m curious @lucadeltodecso & @james, can you explain a little more about your vote :slight_smile:

Fine, as long as that logic applies to every block type.

Cuz if Gleam isnt the highest, then people will just stack whatever is easy in a time:prestige ratio.

Voting system sucks, it is just a popularity contest in video games. Period.

eyesore to YOU, very cool glow blocks to someone else.

Voting system is dumb in games. Then it is just a popularity contest.

I didnt say it was not cool to anyone else. I did not speak for you in the slightest. I did not say “everyone thinks they are an eyesore”. I just said they are an eyesore. I am entitled to my opinion, right? I don’t care if you build a gleaming tower or not. I just don’t understand why they have higher prestige values than other refined blocks. There is no logical basis for it. They are not harder to acquire. They are not rare. They’re the exact same as other blocks except they emit light.

Because it is true. People vote on whats popular, mostly. And yes, anyone who is a youtube personality would always win 100% – unless another youtuber gets their minions to troll the other youtuber.

1 Like

Kada 1 gleam, the semi-orange, urine yellow, and bright pink are the only ones that are very commonplace – none as commonplace as Kada 1 gleam, though.

So whatever the devs do, specifically if everyone is saying it takes them X time to get Y mats to make Z block, then the devs need to realize that sometimes farming only 1 or 2 [rare color] gleam per regen bomb also takes a ton more time than farming mats for brick.

Just saw you said bright pink. I was entranced by the urine yellow description. Still there are two more. I’ll try to search their locations

1 Like

The point is, they cannot say all gleam is the same difficulty to get.

Getting a lot of gleam by regen bombing 1 or 2 at a time to build a tower of [rare color] takes more time than AOE-tools to get mud, ash, and rock color of their choice for brick – spark is easy to get – and if they are upset that gleam gives more prestige than brick – spark is a non-issue for them too.

Since most people are upset that brick takes way more time/resources to get then gleam. That rule only applies to SOME gleam, certainly not all gleam. Don’t hate on all gleam cuz ‘Cool Blue Kada 1’ gleam is acting out.

Good point, and Gleam isn’t unique in that regard, some plants are harder to get than others. Even certain colours of tree are harder to farm than others.

Perhaps the developers could have a dynamic prestige system that changes based on the commonality of X block (including colour) across all world’s?

If there’s 10,000,000 Cool Blue Gleam on one planet, but only 500,000 Stark Orange Gleam on another, their values could perhaps shift automatically.

Just a thought.

4 Likes

Main issue with this I can think of is that prestige values of established settlements could noticeably shift with the introduction of new worlds. Imagine the drama if a capitol settlement lost their status just because they happen to use a lot of some formerly rare material/tint that is now commonplace on the new planet.

2 Likes

My thinking on this is that there will always be a high value prestige block unless they are all equal (which would be dull). If people are going to game prestige calcs then, all things considered, personally I’d rather see Gleam used because I love the night view with the glow on the horizon.

No offence to the artist because 98% of the game art I love but e.g. Decorative Gem blocks I find far more visually unpleasant than Gleam. If Gleam was balanced and everyone moved to those it feels like the worlds would be less pretty for it.

Whether they intend it or not perhaps there is a basis for it - more gleam! If I were the Dev and was proud of or liked the way the lighting engine worked (as I do as a player), I’d set the prestige values to encourage Gleam & other light emitting blocks/objects because it emphasises a selling point of the game.

Well if you made all blocks equal then people would simply build with rocks and dirt, seeing as Gem Blocks are hard to obtain and dirt isn’t.

My idea is to make all blocks equal based on rarity, so there are no preferred blocks - build with whatever you like and your prestige will raise based on the amount of effort you put in, instead of bee lining for the most efficient block to game.

3 Likes

Yep sounds likely. Equal based on rarity sounds fine but what happens if resource generation is changed? Does prestige perhaps keep it’s old value to avoid punishment to established builds/towns until you reach that value again through growth? Or be dynamic & respond to resource change? That seems like it might cause a lot of irritation.

Prestige calcs do feel like they need work though. I think I’d rather see a variety of values to blocks but a hard limit per block/colour type. Ach even that would suck if someone liked a particular block & was building out a whole themed infrastructure with it.

I don’t know just whenever I think about potential changes to it I end up finding issues with other ways of doing it. Smart dev crew though I’m sure they have something planned, if they see it as a problem.

1 Like

Sigh.
The only reason i didnt talk about anything else is because they have already been suggested earlier, which I ‘liked’.
Obviously a voting only system is a bad idea. Using only one mechanic to calculate prestige is a bad idea.
It must be an amalgamation of several different mechanics to make it the most fair as possible.
A block spammer shouldnt be able to take over a settlement SOLELY by making an ugly-ass pile of high prestige blocks.
Just the same as a youtuber shouldnt be able to take over by getting people to thumbs up their build.
Also there should be a limit on how many times one can vote on a build. Like if there hasnt been any changes or minimal change then you cant vote again.

Of course there is no perfect system. There needs to be balance. That can only be achieved by combining several mechanics with the current system (as well as a block value re-evaluation)

2 Likes