[Poll] Is the grind really that hard? (for builders)

Building doesn’t reward any money, so I can’t afford it, unless you want to give it to me for free.

After All, Footfall only matters if people actually step onto your plot of land, and not just look at it from the road.

And Building is the only thing I want to do. Or mining is the only thing I want to do. Or Crafting is the only thing I want to do.

Just because I don’t HAVE to, doesn’t mean I WANT to do other stuff.

u dont have to be “only” a builder. get at least a miner or miner/gatherer for the ressources
In a handful of minutes u finished tutorial, u are lvl 10 with 20 skill points. already a good miner or woodcutter or runner … whatever

u dont have to. but take my advice and listen:the reason why people sometimes experience this game as grindy, while other strife is that trying to cram every skill into one character is super inefficient. Do what u want. Expect grind when u trail off the path.

U can try to mine serp from the core to the surface just with wooden shovels… but why??? Why making a builder but not having a building ressource gatherer and then complaining that the game is grindy and limited? Isnt this kinda self-imposed?

Also u really dont need to have everything in huge amounts anywhere near the release of the game :smiley:

I really think ‘the grind for builders’ is totally the wrong perception, because you’re talking about getting blocks, and builders don’t need to mine their own blocks or chop their own trees.

I’m not saying get an alt character who mines better, that’s not the point. an alt to do a job that you don’t want to do is just a stand in for a player who probably already exists in the game. As a builder you can take the money from completing objectives/feats (and footfall), buy the blocks you want, then build.

I’m sure the trick to not feeling the grind is to find people in the community who are more than happy to make some coins for helping you out, some people even will donate blocks or tools and money to builds so remember, you’re not alone. :slight_smile:

Nether? :stuck_out_tongue: Minecraft has 3 worlds as far as i know and few biomes. Imho right now boundless has way more combinations here.

Sorry, but it takes like 3-6 hours to get through your ‘progression’ in minecraft.
Make wood tools, make stone tools, strip mine for diamonds, you are near endgame. Add enchanting table and some more strip mining and you are endgame.

Right, and now try to have a server with 20+ people at the same time with those mods…

1 Like

I’m going to say no, for thing I can’t be bothered to grind for i just by. the biggest pain is gems and power coils but they are supposed to be late game so it makes sense they take longer to acquire.

Bricks , decorative wood and stones are all within easy reach without having to resort to coils, gem tools etc. I’m quite content without having to go down the mass coil or forge route as it won’t benefit my builds and the build is a major part of the game for me (also like a bit of hunting/shopkeeper on the side).
Unless they introduce better and more variety if end game blocks (and kinda wish they would…), I’m quite content with the level of grind at the mo.

Exactly that. Only that builder shouldnt only rely on footfall money, they should go out and collect stuff they wanna use for their buildings. And they easiest and smoothest way to do this is to make an alt who can do this well.

I love the game, but I am one of those who can only spend 1-2 hours at a time in game (and not even daily most weeks). It does make it hard sometimes but I mainly play to relax and laugh with friends. Luckily I’m part of a community that shares and helps each other out with materials and time. Also to people saying the player count is down, there were an average of 12 players online when I started so let’s keep the numbers in perspective. LOL

3 Likes

I don’t chase prestige, or build huge buildings with rooms the size of a football pitch so for me most blocks are fine to get.
I really dislike grass though, it’s a royal pain in the derriere busting miles of grass covered dirt for seeds to do some landscaping…as well as them being in some recipes. Since we’re comparing mc, i prefer grass just growing to adjacent blocks.

this reads like you would prefer the minecraft way?
1 rock type across all worlds?

Ok, math time. 1450 divided by 50 reward, tells us we need 29 Mass Crafts. Mass Crafting needs 18 Rocks, so 18 x 29 = 522 Rocks. Now, the waiting. Remember, 1 machine each. So to Mass Craft 522 Rocks into 1450 Stone, on 1 machine, at 5 minutes wait per mass craft, takes 5 minutes, 29 times. Or 145 minutes. Or 2 hours and 15 minutes.

you really want to go into theorycraft that much?
the counterpart to cobblestone would be here stones here
so if you want to have alot of them boundless is easier, because you turn 18 rock to 50 stone.
where in minecraft you would have 18 cobblestone for 18 mined stone.

also everbody that once figured out that we can use more than 1 machine at the same time will start using serveral of them, so everybody that really want to have alot stuff will have alot of crafting tables and workbench running.

thats to me a cool thing, the progress is not “placing a workbench” like in MC, the progress is that you want to have more than 1 machine of a kind.

After getting the Rocks/Cobblestone, Minecraft just needs to wait 43 Minutes, then it’s done, over, and can go building.

wroooong! you need to get the fuel for the next step after cobble, and then you can wait 43 minutes (or less if you split on several furns)

1 sand = 1 glass by smelting it. So to get 50, you just need 50 Sand and wait 500 seconds, which is 8 and a half minutes.

wroooong! you forget the time needed to obtain fuel again.

So no Piraten, it isn’t less grinding. Even other blocks, take Glass for example, is even easier in Minecraft.

i said “in some cases” and for cobble (counterpart: stone) its actually less grind because 18 blocks → 50 stone vs 18 blocks → 18 cobblestone.

also the next step would be smoothed rock (counterpart: refined) you need 0 (zero, nothing) on fuel to make those, in minecraft you do.

as for bricks, i remember that it was not also that easy to find those clay things, and the stuff is also not regenerating, so after a while you need to move more far away and travel real distances for the clay.
in boundless you need to find a spot 1 time, save it and you can go there and its refreshed everytime.

challenge completed. ggeasy

This thread/poll is mostly aboud building.
And in terms of building boundless outplays minecraft easy.

Outplays base Minecraft only in terms of Chiseling. But remember that Minecraft has many other things for building than just stone or bricks. Such as the many different colored wool blocks, pressure plates to open doors without needing to manually open them, fence posts and fence gates, lava and water for any pools or moats you want to make, or garbage shoots and fire places, along with windows are window pines to give windows more depth, glowstone lamps that can be turned on and off with a switch, Redstone - nothing else needs to be said just redstone, Haybale, Bookshelves, enchanting table, jacko-lanturns, you can even make golems to act like pets, and there is a conduit block that when activated gives the player a buff and attacks nearby enemies too as a home made turret. Lets not forget Colored Stained Glass too.

There are a LOT more building options in Minecraft than in Boundless. In boundless you have… What? Rocks, Trees, the different refined and decorative versions, Glass, Bricks, Gleam, and…?

Nah, not really. You need to agree that we are missing any kind of block which would go in the middle of standard block. There is no chiseling that can achieve that.
Also window frames are severely lacking in boundless.
On the other hand we have chiseling which open multitude of possibilities.

Actually color and texture palette, i wouldn’t bet either way which has bigger numerically. Boundless has way more color variations and decent number of textures. Imho it comes down to whenever you can use it, not that you are missing stuff in this department.

Well, and redstone lag. And redstone size… Try making piston door which are bigger than average house…
I have very mix feeling about anything like redstone introduced to Boundless…
We don’t have farming and no real way for automated farming. turn on/off lamps and doors would be the most we could do with it.
Btw. imagine this on boundless planet:

I dont think its the games fault if people choose to only do one aspect of it. Kind of like playing COD and complaing you dont win cause you only like to throw grenades.

Everything is grindy, but theres heaps to do. It would be a very short experience without the grind. I get bored of mining really quickly too and of course run out of hammers or whatever, so i switch to my crafter and make some, while thats cooking i switch to my builder, then when i get bored of building, i switch to gatherer, get bored of gathering, switch to hunter…

I never usually spend more than an hour on any one thing, and all 5 of my charcters make coin in one way or another, which then gets shared with whichever one needs whatever to make it fun at the time.

I agree, youre missing out on a lot by choosing to only play one part of the game… but thats not the games choice

1 Like

so after 10 days of poll with 112 voters we have the result that “only” 18% think its to much grind.
thats not that much, i wonder how then it feels from reading the forums that so much ppl are against the grind?

i think its because its a few ppl that are arguing in any threads no matter what the original topic was, that there is to much grind.

you cant never make all happy but from reading the forums i expected it to be way more than 18% are unhappy with the grind.

1 Like

Or they chose not to participate in the poll. .

I forgot to vote after I made my first bricks lol, BUT it definitely wasn’t too grindy. I’ve experimented with basically every type of stone and wood block in my builds. Just don’t make it anymore grindy and we’re good

I couldn’t agree more here tel, I was mining on flan… I’m not forging yet so was just using a basice ■■■ hammer. Popped to sanctuary to grab a cuppa and when I came back the whole area I was mining was just a huge cave. Someone with aoe had just plowed though it and carried on there way. No gems for me. XD

ignoring the fact OP just did a 2 month necro bumb, I find the biggest grind in the game isnt for blocks, but rather for plots.

Sounds like someone should just go play minecraft instead og complaining. Ive not had any noteable issues with anything youve written before but this whining was laughable.

I mean, they are both blockbuilders but i dont think comparing them does anyone any good. I dont want boundless tonbe more like minecraft (i mean whats the point of boundless then…?j

This is boundless not minecraft online.

For one we have aoe tools which makes every aspect of your math void due to the extreme speed of which you can gather materials.

We have speed brews and gather builds to.

Ar one point you almost make it seem like the skill system is a bad thing…

This makes boundless less grindy no matter what you say. And craft times is not a. Issue imho unless you stand there watching your machines craft…?

I seriously dont understand what your trying to achive or bring to light? What do you really mean?

Your post screams «boundless should be more like minecraft becouse crafting and grinding there is easier»
Without you putting it out there openly in a direct way.
If that’s your opinion then i really disagree.
Easier isnt always better.

You dont need to be a good forger or have luck or alot of coils to create tools that will let you gather tier 1-2–3 materials extremly fast and easily compared to what ive seen from minecraft and crafting the «best» blocks in this game is too easy.

Also, nerf refined gleem prestige.