Poll: we want 2 stacks of oort shards in portals

Just bringing this idea back into discussion. I just got back from my second 5 day trip in two weeks, and having to ask people to fuel portals for you is an annoying chore (thanks @Gondor for fueling for me).

I’m not asking for cheaper portals. All I want is to put in two stacks of oort shards at a time so that I can fuel portals if I’m away for a week. Requiring players to fuel twice a week is unfair. Furnaces accept two stacks at a time of the same ingredients (I’m aware it’s probably more for the two ingredient recipes), so the mechanic is in the game already…

Oort amalgam hasn’t really fixed the problem IMO.

I’m aware that some may disagree, so, a poll!

• Allow people to put in two stacks of portal fuel
  • Keep it as is

0 voters

3 Likes

think people with vote “No” ? :confused:

Do some people actually go through enough shards to drain a stack in a week?

8 portal conduits eats a stack in a week. Max portal size eats it in 4 days.

5 Likes

That’s pretty crazy. I didn’t realize, as I’ve only used 1x2 portals that last up to 5.5 weeks

Its almost like we’re over consuming oort shards because ‘reasons’ (footfall evidently in many reasons given for building so many large portals)

Yep and a 2x2 lasts 9 days

I only have two far distance portals - from my build on Tana to my builds on Eresho and Finata.

Note my proposal wouldn’t change how fast shards are used, it would just make it so you could queue up more oort in case you’re going away for a week.

2 Likes

It’s missing an option.

I would support making it scalable to the number of conduits used (similar functionality to spark generators).

For example, 8 conduits can take 2 stacks, 12 conduits can take 3 stacks etc.

18 Likes

I was more referring to the plethora of hubs we have that increase the over-consumption of shards.

If people did not builds hubs for the footfall, if footfall weren’t a thing, we’d probably see one localized/central hub built and maintained which would then decrease the amount of shards used globally, by a drastic amount.

That’s likely not going to happen because we’d need a new coin tap over foot fall and people would lose their minds if footfall was messed with

Otherwise there needs to be some adjustments to the t7 meteors so people can hunt ichor better. Pretty confident they said in the past it is not possible to make a second stack for shards… this is the exact reason we were given amalgam.

1 Like

I agree that the explosion of hubs is driving prices up for oort. I also agree with those who posit this problem will fix itself - prices will go up, some people will shut down hubs and prices will stabilize.

Yeah I thought of this before too but I wanted to keep it simple, both for the poll and for the devs

I think we just need alternative fuels. Like compact version, etc.

1 Like

let this slip for the forgetfull fuelers if people want a portal and can afford they still will have it atm it just the people like me who dont pay attention and have the stacks in stock that get punished

1 Like

I understand completely. I don’t have time right now to dig through posts but I’m pretty sure it was James or Luca that said it was impossible? to make another shard slot. It’s the exact reason we were given amalgam.

If someone else has the time to dig through posts to find that, it could help explain why he second a lot won’t happen and shift the conversation to making ichor more accessible.

I’m consuming 1344 shards / week for 1x2 portals. 2 for shops, 2 for cross build transit, one for a farm, and three in my hub to link networks.

504 / week for a portal to biitula ps hub.

336 / week for a portal to trior (a newer farm).

900 / week for my part of the TNT network.

3084 shards per week at 14.4c per shard (200c rough oort) is 44409c per week. In terms of shards vs footfall I lose money just about every week. I think a lot of other players are as well. I make up the difference in side business and in my shops, some of which don’t even have portals. I still hunt occasionally, but not often.

On a side note, at the price you’ve been paying for amalgam this would cost 514,000c per week :sob: :rofl:

While the bigger networks run by (relatively) few people are depending on footfall for the most part, most people building hubs have different motives.

I don’t agree that this is what would happen. It wouldn’t affect my operations at all, or most of the other hub owners I speak with.

This is can get behind. Just adding ichor at T6 would change things a lot. Right now the best place to get oort and still manage a decent amount of side loot appears to be T4.

5 Likes

I am for what @Stretchious mentions. I do not think we really need 1x2 portals that lasts 10+ weeks. I think a scaling factor for bigger portals is needed. Where all portal sizes can end up with the same maximum time frame.

6 Likes

I would probably have voted for this. As the poll is I voted for “No, keep it as is”. Portals are work and I’m fully in line with the philosophy that they should have a time cost as well as a shard cost.

With that in mind it’s a game and I do think that weekly maintenance should be enough.

Now that shops are so easy to find, I make a mil with 2 hours time or so. Give or take. This means money’s circulating and economy is working.

1 Like

:point_up_2: I don’t think that’s common. Most people are super happy to sell 5000-50000 a day lol

wut are you selling? :open_mouth: