Poll: Where does Boundless fall in your expectations? [Closed,Thank you to everyone who participated in the poll and the discussion!]

I usually have a few genres of games going at once. Elderscrolls online for mmo, minecrack for mindless building with my kids, civ 5 for strategy, and battlefield one for killing.

After a short time, Minecraft was getting very very boring so I wanted to find a game to replace the gathering/building genre. Accidentally stumbled upon this game on steam about a year ago or more. Watched the trailer, then bought the explorer package right then in EA. Now I’m around 1300+ hrs into it!! Haha!

But…the trailer I watched that got me to buy it, had a ton of stuff in it that wasn’t in game. At the time, I thought, “okay, maybe they are just on higher tier planets”. So I played and played and broke the gem barrier with an unforged titanium hammer. Never did find what was in that trailer, and I knew this game was EA, so it really didn’t ■■■ me out too much. Just didn’t understand why have something in a trailer if its not in game even if its EA. I didn’t feel robbed, or angry, or even disappointed. I was waaaaaay hooked long before the gem barrier. So that’s why I picked “fewer features” category. And also why I picked the “anything added is a bonus” category. Cause I can see the game for what it is, not what I thought it was.

Boundless is a beautifully written symphony, with each update a different movement within that symphony. If you try playing each movement together all at the same time, it’ll sound horrible. Which is why a real symphony is segmented off into movements.

Take Vivaldi’s “four seasons”, Cut it into sections, then stack those sections on top of each other then listen to it and tell me how it sounds. It wouldn’t make sense. There would be no flow.

Edit: B. U. M without the periods is censored? Interesting.

3 Likes

Great description. :slight_smile: And you sound like me on gaming habits, haha, some of the same games too! I kill a lot of time in Minecraft simply because it is something I can do on “goof off” time when it is slow, but I’m not nearly as addicted to it since Boundless came along.

1 Like

I bought this game as a filler between spiderman and red dead redemption 2. I kind of just stumbled on it on the playstation twitter account since they promoted it during the release week. Never played a voxel game before this and the $40 price tag wasn’t too steep for me so I took a chance. Glad I did because I ended up putting wayyyyy more hours into this game than anything else at the moment. I havent even finished the story in red dead :sweat_smile:

So my expectations weren’t too high. At this point im enjoying boundless as much as when I started, if not more. Anything additional they add in the future is just a plus.

8 Likes

I enjoyed NMS when it first came out despite all the controversy but eventually got tired of the ridiculously small amount and tedious storage space in the game as well as the long load times. Fallout4 was my main go to game on PS4 which I put a lot of hours into, I even played a bit of minecraft and really enjoyed the exploring and building etc but wanted something other than square blocks so did a search for open world sandbox games and found Boundless which was still in early access but had just been made available on steam. After watching a few videos on YouTube l convinced myself this game was worth a go and after seeing and stepping through that first portal in sanctum I haven’t been disappointed as I haven’t touched another game since. I know it’s not perfect, but what game is, and there will be a few speed bumps on the way but I also know it will just keep getting better.

2 Likes

What are titans? And the hunter? I’m intrigued!

edit: I vaguely remember the hunter being a hard to beat mob on certain planets?

the titans are discussed on the official website of boundless

2 Likes

Will have a look at titans then, the hunter looks awesome! fingers crossed we get it added some day

At this point I’m half checked out (logging in to fill beacons basically) so I voted I’d need more to continue playing. We’ll see how farming goes, I’m anxious/excited to know more about that.

I don’t feel mislead or anything, though I expected more from combat and find the skill system too limiting. Also the Ps4 looks way worse with the lack of proper reflections and draw distance that isn’t great. Obviously you can only do so much with the tech available, but it is a bit of a disappointment.

That said, when I got the email last year from Ps4 telling me my most played games and so on, Boundless was number one and it only released in the last few months of the year, so that says something. It was a great purchase for how much it cost and how many hours I’ve piled on.

(My second most hours played game was Fallout 76, so between the two I’ve learned that reviews are basically useless to me, hah.)

1 Like

i’m suprised that people thing that everything added from now on is a bonus?
Things i’m missing:

• Titans and protectors
    -Rental Worlds
  • Specific worlds like Dessert or Waterworlds

For an MMO i dont find the variety of wildfive that mutch.
Wildstock, Hoppers, Cuttletrunks, Spitters …

Then you have roadrunners and you have all the creatures there are!
You can see the tiers of them as new creatures but they dont behave different from their evolutions soo…

1 Like

Honestly, I was about to make a post about how I didn’t understand why anyone would say this game has all the feature they felt like the game was advertised with. We’ve seen a lot of content in past gameplay trailers which still isn’t in game yet, including but not limited to Titans, Protectors and Hunters.

But after having a double-check of the website, I begin to understand why. When many of us bought the game before launch, the website just described all the features that it was intending to have at launch, and didn’t have ‘FEATURE NOT YET IMPLEMENTED - COMING SOON!’ liberally sprinkled around. I guess people who’ve only come to Boundless since launch might have significantly lower expectations.

I think that the launch does not sound like soon, maybe I’m wrong

Will be totally honest in my reply.

Boundless has fewer features than I felt was promised at purchase. Was my choice in the poll.

When I saw the trailer I was given the impression that there would be more interaction with other players. You see shops with the owners there, other players chatting. You see groups taking off to run and hunt together and you see that they will be getting together to fight the Titans.

NONE of that was there. My son and I met very few players, the shops had almost no players in them, even in the mall areas, they might be running around but I don’t remember any chatting groups. No friendly waves and welcome to the game and the planet we spawned on.

I was expecting more for the price, one that would have great graphics and a lot to do and items to find, mini games maybe, such as in Fallout series; New Vegas was $60, another $70 that my son bought. Didn’t get any of that; graphics is okay, but realized it was a type of cartoonish so didn’t expect to see realist trees and people. But I did expect to see a whole lot more content, more to do and a whole lot more difference in planets and critters, not the same ones on every planet and a limited amount of type, goat, spitter, cuttletrunks, hoppers and roadrunners. That is it, that was all that was in the game? Pathetic

Did expect my girl to have clothes, not wearing a bra and a loincloth. I expected to be able to make armor and be able to go from hard leather to the toughest materials the game would offer. There were no clothes and no armor, no protection at all. They can travel in space but don’t have clothes, armor?

I did not know that it was taken out of early access too early, learned that after about a month of playing, which to me was a rip off from the company that supported it, not so much as the devs. Again, this is honest and my opinion, the price was double what it should have been for the condition it was in and how difficult the learning curve and the amount of grinding, and I have played several games that have a lot of grinding. They cost $20 to $30, that was all this game was worth, in my opinion.

Present day:
Now, how I feel about the game now. At the time I bought it I was having some health problems but not as bad as recently, it was a blessing in disguise for the months of Nov and up to now even. I was able to ignore the pain that was so bad I was wishing I was dead at some points. I could handle the pain up to a level of 5 with the distraction of this game, over that I wasn’t able to do anything; except to think about dying to end the pain.

I have seen a lot of improvement since I bought it, some that I think was a joke, a half-hearted attempt to placate players so we would shut up (example is the special holiday events). Some, however were great and has helped all players. And I am seeing more of those type of additions to the game.

I am also seeing that the devs do care not only about the game but about us the players so the anger and sense of being tricked at the start is replaced with appreciation for them.

I’m a social person so have met many players on the forum that have been nice, some jerks that I wish would quit, couple I wished would take a long walk off a short pier that had hungry sharks waiting for a free meal. For the most part, however, it has been good. I have made a couple of friends that I have met in the forum and interact with in game and in PM where we can just chat. I have even changed my viewpoint about a couple who I didn’t like and feel more positive about them, don’t see them in a negative manner anymore.

This game has a lot of potential and I am willing to wait and see it happen. I will continue to play although I may take short breaks to play games I have ignored, but will come back to this game, I believe.

One last remark, do I feel the price is fair, should it stay at this amount? No, players who pay $60 for games that have more content will not buy this game, they won’t give it a chance to show what it does have. Players present day are more jaded and want more for their bucks. Drop it to at least $40 and offer Gleam club free and you will get more players. Show a trailer of what is really in it, not a trailer what is misleading.

Okay, whoever wants can blast, flame away, I gave my honest viewpoint of this game.

3 Likes

titans are floating ilands that drop protector enemys
alot off them
we all need to fight the titan together
when we win we obtain blocks that makes it possible to create our own floating island
well that what they used to tell us about titans

1 Like

This discussion is awesome! I’m so happy to see many people giving their thoughts. Feedback is good feedback as long as it is honest and thought out (negative or positive is all point of view and are all equally valid), and I see a lot of that on here! I wasn’t sure the poll would get much attention but I’m glad it has. I’ll leave it open for awhile so more people can find it.

1 Like

I came across OO/BL a few years ago and couldn’t decide whether or not to buy in during the initial phase, so I bookmarked it. I had forgotten about it, until I came across it again last year.

I eventually bought this game because I like to try new games. My favorites genres are: MMOs, RPGs, sanboxes, indie games, some fps, racing, etc. However, I feel like this genre is over-saturated with medieval fantasy style games, so I tend to avoid those now (besides the few that I still play). I really enjoyed MC, but I’ve totally burnt out on it. There are a few other voxel MMOs that I’ve also become tired of. I wanted something different. So I bought BL.

To be 100% honest, I never watched any of the trailers. I did look through screenshots & read the dev notes as to what the game was about. I am very happy with my purchase. Being a PC player, I am used to test servers, mods, software updates, finding/reporting bugs, making suggestions, etc. I am very open-minded towards indie games, trying out alpha/beta software, adapting to changes… I think they’ve said they want this game to be a slow boil. I understand their reasons & I have patience, so I’m ok with that.

I love crafting, skilling, grinding, exploring, etc. I have other games that I’ve played specific dungeons over and over for months, trying to progress. In one, I’ve chopped trees over and over for months/years, trying to get one skill up. In BL, I basically flew through the levels, to 50. IMO, it was a little too quickly.

As with any game, new content and QoL improvements are always greatly anticipated & much appreciated. Some MMOs go years without any updates or new content. I feel that BL is trucking along at a nice, steady pace, when I compare it to the other MMOs I play. I like that BL isn’t a carbon copy of any other game & that they seem to do things their own way, for the most part.

I mean… I get to make a portal, travel far away to any planet, set up a base, craft my own machines & weapons, & do whatever I want to there. That is frickn awesome to me :+1::sunglasses:

7 Likes

my self i picked “boundless is a empty shell compared to what i expected” things in early access where comeing along nicely thing the game full relased without almost 60% of the content the site sayed was coming in 1.0 and now it says comeing soon with the soon being no where in sight.

i will 100% dive back into the game once the game i paid for is released be that 2 or 3 years down the road

1 Like

The game has gone downhill since they introduced more than one world and took away the cheese blocks.

I think some of it could be to what players have played in other types of games, genre and specific games. The first sandbox game for me was Sims 3 and while I loved it, I wanted more interaction with other players and I wanted to have more control over my characters in some areas.

This is my first MMO, other survival games I have put them on easy and in 7 days turned off the zombies and has my son mod the bears to stop attacking me, sheesh, die 16 times in three months and most of the time within the first week?

The day he modded it for me, she spawned in and walked out of the safe area and I heard a sound, turned around and there was a bear, shaking his head, pawing the air but not ripping my face off. Moved backed some steps and it followed, stopped, pawed the air, growling and wanting to kill me but couldn’t.

Mostly I played in creative mode so I could build and do some exploring when I needed a break, that was my interest, building.

Before Sims, I played match three, mahjong and some other similar games. Son pushed me to get out of my box then out of the safe box with 7 days, then to play others, then offered to play with me on this one. He has quit playing unless I need his help, reason, lack of content, boring to him.

So, a factor could be in experience, types of previous games played. Which is the way with those who haven’t played this type of game or have played ones and feel this one is too lacking and won’t buy it, give it a chance.

I’m slightly disappointed with the current content. It feels lacking. Many people are quitting out of boredom and I can’t blame them. I’m not a builder and I spend many hours just standing around talking builds or spitballing ideas/tweaks. Sometimes just tooling on the surface for some mats. I do find that fun though along with the hunting, but I really wish the devs would focus on some end game content rather than more stuff to decorate and build with. A reason to play so to speak…a reason to hit level 50+ other than perfecting a build, a reason to go beyond awesome forge gears. I love this game, I play every day but I really don’t do a whole lot. I don’t have a reason to strive for better forged gears. I don’t have a reason to build anything more. The T7s helped a bit but it’s just a different place to do what we already have to do…

2 Likes

I voted that it is great the way it is and that everything added is a bonus. But the truth is Boundless had more than I expected in both gameplay variety and on going development. I had only originally purchased Boundless on a whim to give me something to play while waiting for RDR2 to come out. I’m not going to say that RDR2 is a game of poor quality but I didn’t enjoy what little I played. I’m not going to bore you with all the reasons I like Boundless so much. But it’s currently the only game that I choose to spend my game time with.

4 Likes