Portal cost

Two weeks ago I opened a big portal, 18 blocks, but when I did I only had 900 shards with. Half of it went of course straight into the opeing cost, I wanted to go back, but of course I forgot so after a bit when I ran around adding shards to all the portals I noticed it was closed again, ouch

That should be doable then!

I use a tad more oort shards a day, hehe, tho am not completely doing it alone thankfully!

Why? He just needed shards too! :joy:

Let’s just be real the portal cost for a solo player is crazy high if I want to hop to multiple planets and keep portals open to 5 or more medium size portals I would have to either quit my job or meteor hunt every time I log in. But I’m a builder so that’s not happening. How about buying more oort well need coin for that how to make coin have people walk on my grass so I get footfall I maybe get 500 coins a day from foot fall so that doesn’t work and if you’ve seen my build I’m not moving it I would rather quit. So compact oort makes sense 18 stones for 250 shards compact the 250 shards and infuse them with other gems or something to increase the strength of the compact oort for longer portal life. Or compact oort can carry a spark so put it in a charging station and feed it spark I would much rather spend 30 min getting fuel for my spark generator to recharge my compact oort then meteor hunting for 2 hours.

I think the portal cost is quite high, but that just opens it up to specialization though; I quite enjoy hunts, i do 2 or 3 a month when i need ingredients.

I don’t have the desire to hunt every time i log on, much less want to be forced to log in just to hunt, and as a result i can’t have a plethora of portals to all places in the universe. There are others who put inn the time and dedication to run hubs and i agree it’s definitely a large group effort but i think it should stay that way.

I currently run a single 1x2 to the planetary hub of my choice, thats it. From there i use the community to get where i need to go. I’ve been considering opening a second portal but that would double my oort usage (at least i have 12k stock).

If it were a single player game is agree, i want to go everywhere. But this thread is in stark contrast to previous lines of thought where people question large hubs as being unfairly supported by footfall - i think it shows clearly that portals are a luxury, hard to maintain, not necessarily for everyone to own, and if you don’t have the time / desire to do so, support the people who do?

1 Like

Every planet has at least 2 hubs connected to everything tho. Connecting to them cost 1/h per world. So costs can be lowered alot. 24 shards per portal a day is not alot.

If you dont like meteors you can hunt down roadrunners too. Which might net you alot of coin if you manage to get trophies from them.

1 Like

jetboats could make meteorite hunts easier, just think about it :woman_shrugging:

i just made a random affect adjacent titanium axe with no energy cost and its so damn satisfying just to cut trails into norkyna foliage >.< soon norkyna looks much more natural and is much less traversable by foot ^.^
i feel i missing out on much of this when i focus only on meteorite hunt for portal fuel

I don’t see a great need to own personal portals. I have one that leads to my diamond mine that’s it. Otherwise it’s 100c warps using portal networks or hoofing it. I guess I would suggest to stay within your means. If you want lots of portals, expect some grind for Oort.

4 Likes

Please drop everything else, guilds, chats, buffs, snowballs, even footfall buff! Put everyone on this task alone pleeaaaasssssseeeeeeeee.

Seriously though I’m going on a 11 day vacation soon and I’m pretty sure my portals will close and I will lose my slot in the PS network : /. I have at least 100k shards, I just can’t fit them in that one slot : (.

1 Like

Talk to the PS hub guys, and let them know and if they still want to close the portal and not reserve it for your holiday, find a different hub that will?

1 Like

Should be able to find someone trusted to fuel it. I would do it but u don’t know me lol.

Having the reopening cost greatly reduced or even removed, provided the destination hasn’t changed, would be a great help to small time operators that are short on time & resources and not trying to keep the portal open 24/7 for use by the general public.

1 Like

Maybe they could let portals be re-opened with spark instead…? I dunno

While I’d love to not have to farm oort (too poor to buy–I work for my goods!), I think since this is a major key element to boundless, they’ll never not use oort.

However, toying with this idea, it might be taken into consideration to use spark with oort, to reduce the oort usage, sort of like a hybrid car. Prob not by much, but it’s more likely.

What I’d really like to see, is reduced oort cost for GC members. Give ppl more incentive to buy GC–it really needs it.
Heck, the only reason I even have GC is the simple insurance my beacons will stay fueled. I had multiple at the time, but only one now. I don’t care much for flashy colors, so if I wanna save a couple bucks, I just don’t need it.

(Not ment to be a rant, just saying GC needs more incentive and this could be one.)

1 Like

This is gonna annoy some people, but Oort shards serve a function that nobody here wants to acknowledge. They are intended to limit and reduce the number of portals players create. The lower the cost to open and maintain portals, the more there will be. That may sound fine, but consider the load every portal puts on the servers. Also, consider people’s natural tendency to be “efficient”. No body would bother walking anywhere if portals were so cheap they were effectively free- taking a portal is more efficient. Even if portals were just made cheaper, you would of course open even more portals up. You wouldn’t be satisfied with just saving cost to fuel your existing portals, youd realize you can afford to open more portals and now struggle to keep even more fueled at once.

If the cost to maintain portals is too high, don’t ask for discounted rates, ask where you can trim back your own expenses, and how you can be more cost effective.

9 Likes

The more “incentive” they put on GC that involve saving players time or materials in the game, the closer it creeps to being p2w and an unfair advantage. I already feel GC goes too far in providing beacon fuel, but its enough of a grey area that I can forgive it based on how cheap and effective fuel is now.

2 Likes

Naw, I agree on this.
We used to have quite a few farming portals that kept me very busy. Wasn’t even my decision to make them, but the grunt work was mine! =/
Now we only have one 1x2 (considering another), on the same planet, just to a hub. Sooo much easier to take care of! Less stress on my part. =D

(Honestly, seeing those convenience portals just to not walk up a flight of stairs annoy me)

I would love to have another portal type that is free but limited to a distance like 10 plots and won’t show up on the compass. This could be used for intra build connections like a lift into your basement or something.

7 Likes

So crazy I just finished up a video about this very topic, I haven’t posted it yet but it will be up soon. & I agree with you. It shouldn’t become a full time job in order to upkeep even a small stable of 1x2 & 2x2 portals but it is indeed. I can only imagine how hard it would be for someone that just cant play as much, that might really be attracted to the prospect of owning their own small portal network, but will never be able to because portals for 1 don’t hold enough shards at maximum, something I stated in several videos including the one I will be posting shortly 2ndly the larger portals eat the most ridiculous amount of shards its almost laughable, especially when you factor in that at maximum capacity the big 6x6 or 6x5 or whatever they are, ( The Very Big Ones ) they only hold about 1 week & a half full. Which is honestly pathetic for a portal that if it just so happens to close, you have to pay a huge re-opening cost just to get it back up again.
I get that the larger portals should take more shards to maintain, but the amounts that have been set are just plain not fun for the solo players at all. Seems like it has been catered slightly more towards group play, instead of being somewhere in the middle. That would allow for anyone that actually really trys without needing to dedicate their entire life to fulfilling one in game goal to do so. Just as everyone should be able to do with just the right amount of effort, the way things are currently for Oort I just don’t see it being a possible reality for most that may actually be drawn to the concept or want to experience what its like to have your own portal stable that gets you to exactly where you want to go, or even truly fully experience mastering portal mechanics for themselves.
I know we all know its not much to actually setting one up, once you’ve gotten the hang of it. But for a lot of players wont experiment any further then having 1 or maybe 2 small portals. In my opinion portals should be a more common thing & having a lot of portals shouldn’t be too hard to do. As people get more comfortable opening & maintaining more portals, even more portals will be opened. As of now we don’t have much to fill our huge houses & structures with that’s too meaningful outside of Shop Stands Storage & Request Baskets.
Furniture was a nice addition for property filler but its useless mechanically so its basically just props. I think portals go a long way towards giving us something to actualy have as individuals that holds some true purpose & meaning inside our builds. They should in my opinion be easier to maintain.

Its not fulltime, join a public hunt or a few friends, hunt for a hour and you have fuel for weeks. Also can buy shards from other ppl if you want to do other stuff.
And for time constrains maybe you can share the burden with a friend. Its a multiplayer game afterall.

1 Like

It does become a fulltime job in my 3000hrs + gameplay experience. Im a solo player, My name is DaSTRAY, I don’t do friends, people irritate me. Not a group type person & no one should have to be in order to keep a small handful of portals running. Everyone isn’t going to have the group mentality because a lot of people just don’t want to deal with other people beyond a certain level. & the system shouldnt lean too hard in either direction. Its about achieving a balance that makes everyone feel like they can have the experience they want to have the way they want to have it & not feel that they are at a disadvantage because they are anti social & just want to build, craft, mine, hunt, create alone.
You may not personally feel its a full time job but try having more then a few small portals, with a few medium & one large & things start to get real heavy real quick.
& those are just the business portals, so don’t even think about attempting to open a few more for personal use because there will be no keeping up unless the only thing you do when you play the game is go hunting for Oort Shards, & this I know from a lot of experience so im going to have to strongly disagree with you.
Mind you people have other things to do as well, like keep up with stocking a gigantic store that has over 300 shops stands to maintain.
( Its a full time job On top of a full time job )