Portal cost

Funny how you say you hate dealing with ppl, yet play a MMO and want to profit from them. And feel the need to connect to them.

Yes it is somewhat Ironic isnā€™t it?
But thatā€™s what makes owning a shop so awesome, I donā€™t have to deal with anyone directly. I just deal with my shop stands & request baskets.
& the select few people that I actually do get along with.
But thatā€™s my style & thereā€™s nothing wrong with it.
Some people like being social, & some people just donā€™t.
They all deserve to play whatever game they please regardless of social preference.
Mmo, rpg, rts, adventure, side scroller doesnā€™t matter
Just a genre that doesnā€™t choose what type of personality can or cannot play.

• I never said I donā€™t like people, I said people irritate me. Big difference.
    Kinda how your slightly irritating me at the moment.
    Im a person so if I didnā€™t like people that would mean I donā€™t like myself, & I love myself too much for that.
2 Likes

I think you do like ppl :wink:

*Again, Never said I didnā€™t. I love people, I just find a lot of them to be extremely annoying.

Another unpopular take. I think the universe is going through a contraction. Everyone spread out thinking they would seed new settlements to be populated by the next wave of sign-ups. But those sign-ups arenā€™t coming very quickly and everyone became the mayor of a ghost town.

Now we are consolidating our infrastructure to something that makes more sense for the actual scale of the game. Do we need multiple portal networks with three floors of personal portals? Not really. Is there enough things to sell in the game that we need hundreds of shops stocking the same commodity goods? Nope. So portals shut down. And they should. I donā€™t want portals to become like beacons where they can be given long timers or resist game rules via GC. I think that would keep our population density more sparse than is optimal.

I think the Oort shard cost is balanced well because it forces us to make hard decisions about keeping portals around and this ultimately drives our civilization to become more efficient. I would much rather have new features to help us further consolidate the community than change the rules to support our current state.

3 Likes

5x3 last 5d 8h with 900. Dunno where you got the week n a half. Wish that were true.

1 Like

:thinking:

My 6x3 last 4d 17h with 900.

I personally like the idea of comfortably being able to open & manage portals without feeling like im turning into some kind of Oort Vampire, but thatā€™s just me. :wink:

Yeah that actually sounds a lot more accurate now that youā€™ve brought that up. Very true & thatā€™s why it seems like a everyday struggle in my opinion. Cant even fill the large portals up enough to keep them going for very long without needing to baby sit them or they close. *500 shard RE OPENING COST * have fun with that.

This so made me laugh because it reminds me of myself sometimes. Thank you for that. :rofl:

1 Like

There is a difference though between being able to ā€œaffordā€ a portal and just being constantly anoyed by having to refill it.

For example I have over 10000 oort shards, but I have to keep logging in to refill my damn portal weekly / daily.

Iā€™m fine with the cost being whatever. Just allow us to refill it without having to babysit the game. Ideally, the number of slots should grow with the number of conduit, the same way that it does with spark generators.

If people want compact oort, Iā€™m fine with that too.

Iā€™m not okay with having to have an umbilical cord tying me to the game to the point where it makes me feel bad just taking a 10 day vacation.

6 Likes

Sure, the perfect solution to that is to simply allow more fuel to be put in a portal either by compressed or greater shard storage capacity.

2 Likes

That is a great idea!

But, I would also like the ability to mark portals as private which then do not show up on everyoneā€™s radar eitherā€¦

2 Likes

As far as short distance portals, how about, instead of a portal, since itā€™s a strain on the server, make it a warp pad? Canā€™t see the other side, but step on it and itā€™s like you got your own Sheikah Slate. Can only be same planet and within x plots. Dunno about cost.
Pretty sure at least one personā€™s suggested that. Not sure how that would affect the server, but Iā€™m hoping better.

2 Likes

yeah compaction would be great, but expanding fuel slots might be easier? Also, if a slot were added for each oort/h the portal costs, it would even out the max fuel time for all portals to be the same as for a 1x2 in absolute number of hours - which I believe is about 5weeks and some change, close to basic beacon fuel duration (in case people go awol)

3 Likes

My point exactly, im 100% with you on feeling like we have to baby sit portals. We truly do have to or they close, it gets worse the larger they get.
Honestly small portals are never an issue, its once they start getting bigger than 2x2 is when it starts getting a little weird, after that, it starts getting crazy.

1 Like

i am not sure if i can follow u there. Arent portals just blocks with a certain function? what makes portals that much more stressing? That u can look through? the number of portals u can look through are anyway limited at any time, so it shouldnt matter too much, if there are 3, 5, or 20 portals around. The fuel timer? is this the reason why spark generators are comparably expensive to produce?
the number of people using a portal? the number of people going through a portal isnt directly related to the number of portals and cant be limited effectively with this.

Itā€™s because itā€™s rendering from a region that would otherwise not be loaded from the server. If itā€™s another planet entirely, then youā€™re making it load data from that server and transfer it to the new server. A programmer can give you more specific info, but there is a good reason you donā€™t really see boundless style portals in any other games, especially across servers. Itā€™s a heck of a feat that they exist at all.

3 Likes