Portal fueling will eventually make me quit boundless

Scrap portals, replace them with spaceships. Problem solved. You listening, devs? Spaceships. You heard it here first.

13 Likes

Agreed. There are several things imo that we shouldn’t need to waste “skill” points on. Portals, gathering, jumping, light…these should just be perma earned character abilities. You can’t “get better” at them and you can’t specialize in them.

And yes, anyone should be able to add fuel to a portal.

14 Likes

A very rough calculation because i am in boundless and not in a test:

18 rough oortstones = 250 oort shards
50 compact oortstones = 360 rough oortstones
360 rough oortstones / 18 rough oortstones = 20 mass oort shards batches = 20 x 250 shards per batch = 5000 oortshards

Essentially what i mean is: 50 compact oortstones = 5000 oortshards in oort cost (assuming compact oorts do become a portal fuel and they don’t even need to be “more efficient”). So if you could put no more than 50 compact oortstones, thats 5 times more efficient than a stack of oortshards. Do the math for refined oortstones xD.

Now imagine we can put a stack of compact oorts (900 pieces) and not only 50. Mind blown xD.

8 Likes

It would be good if the size of the portal was always 1x2 (unless you want to make it bigger for aesthetic reasons) and there were more slots for fuelling. That way a portal crossing a region boundary wouldn’t be as big a drain on the servers (I think) and the cost could still be graded accordingly and with extra capacity to stock up oort shards you could refuel less often.

3 Likes

How many portals are you trying to refuel that would cause this much burnout?

2 Likes

I completely agree and is the reason I have restricted myself to almost always just utilizing 1x2 portals in my builds.

Personally, I think just having the number of slots for SS of oort increase with portal size solves this problem pretty well. I don’t have experience with blinksec costs to have an opinion on that part.

2 Likes

Nah it’s the mere fact of loading the portals that causes server drain. Doesn’t matter the size of the portal. That’s a local visual representation. To be able to show what’s on the other side of the portal and allow a smooth transition, your client has to load data from both worlds (and more importantly have a live real-time connection to both, so you can see people on both sides of the portal), and presumably put your character on both worlds (with one of them invisible) for the duration that you can see through the portal. I would be in favor of them letting people make smaller portals between regions though (same oort cost just aesthetically differently sized)

That’s a yes then :blush:

That would work fine for a fix, but probably slightly harder to implement than just allowing 2 stacks in any portal.

3 Likes

Plot twist, you have to fuel your spaceship with compact oort :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Agreed portal sizes should be by choice not by punishment. The oort cost should be what dictates distance.

8 Likes

That is the number one thing second to lack of content that made me extremely exhausted.

The game needs not only the whole portal thing DK is suggesting, but it also needs a complete crafting overhaul, IMHO. Crafting times, quantities of mats / quantities of items we produce…
After all this time, I still think it’s insane to have things that require hours of crafting time when you’ve got full power.

2 Likes

I came here to say, This. :point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

May the Oortian Gods forbid any of us to ever decide to take a 2 week holiday while having large portals running with a limited time allowed per SS. Portals should be like beacons in the first place where we can add months of fuel if needs be. Failing that, why not allow anyone to add fuel? Heck, even our sovereign worlds can be fueled by anyone. Why not portals? :wink:

9 Likes

As far as I know, this one is resolvable by the planned automation update… imagine having a request basket for oortshards which is hooked up directly to a portal to fuel it :+1:

You could even request rough Oortstone and automate the processing step in between donation and portal.

15 Likes

Well that indeed is something to look forward to. Thanks for the heads-up, Stretchious!

Just as a disclaimer… Automation was mentioned to me, but have no idea if any progress has been made in that area or if it’s definitely still going ahead… or how far off it might be.

7 Likes

I’ll mark it down as something to ‘Maybe’ look forward to then and keep the fingers crossed for the future. Thanks again! :wink:

1 Like

This always brings me to wtf happened to mineable Oort? I mean it’s been in the knowledge for years, why can’t we mine it? Why restrict us to hunts or buying it from someone?

3 Likes

don’t forget roadrunners :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh right them too lol

1 Like