Prepare yourself for a player boost

@ghandymarshall at least this isnt Star Citizen “YOURE ALL JUST HATERRRSSS, LET PEOPLE ENJOY WHAT THEY LIKE” (kicks the other person while screaming “BUY AN IDRIS” into their face)

1 Like

It kind of surprises me that this particular sale would get people to buy this game. I only saw anything on Steam about the SE sale today even though it started on the 18th. Boundless just shows up as one more little item in a grid of a couple of dozen games, most of them part of bigger franchises. Think how many new players we would see if their was some real marketing. (Unfortunately, we now know SE will never go for that.) Let’s hope that there is some good retention from this. However Ghandy is right in that these kinds of influxes rarely last. People dip their toes in the game and for multiple reasons never play again.

Personally I don’t care about the attacks or the haters. They have there reasons and they can have those opinions. I think the bit that pisses me off is this impression that I go around doing nothing but complain.

I do have to accept that it is more likely that here I am annoyed and Vent here, but perhaps take time to look at the why. The censorship that happened and the bullshit occurs makes me that way. Perhaps be treated awfully by James, have cities held captive and many other things and your view will change. Despite this on arie to this day I give stuff away and chuck things in oort baskets. I do this on a new character because quite a few of this "friendly community " try block in my main character , follow me around, talk ■■■■ at me constantly or beg for gold.

You wonder why I wouldn’t want to let the new players know about this.

Do I still play yup. I started over to be able to enjoy what we have - I get this. Do I think this community is great. A small portion of it (including me at one time) absolutely, but it ain’t all sunshine so why lie that it is just to lure people in.

5 Likes

Nobody is saying he’s wrong about player influxes not lasting. The point is, that the few who may be convinced to play anyway, regardless of development status, are being chased off by the, “Two Moar Weeks crowd”. Some games last a very long time with a small obsessive fan base. Lots of people need an apolitical space nowadays, to cope with the perpetual carnival of horror the "real’ world thrusts at them. We are tired of everything being an exercise in edgy cynicism friend.

Boundless has a peaceful environment (comparably), and if we can convince a few players, here and there, to become attached like us, we just may keep it alive somehow.
If only 3 new players stick with it long term each wave, then we are all much better off. and the game will eventually gain some traction, maybe. It might even become a real prospect to be worked on again, and, dare I say it? Thrive.

Or, it just might inspire the next small team, of indy game devs, formed around a group of long term obsessive Boundless players, to make something similar, or better even. And, we can all say, “Hey mang, I helped those guys/gals to build a city on Raxxa back in the day!”, and our nephews/nieces etc will be like, “Really? You actually hung out with, (insert next legendary game dev here), online? Whoah…that is sooo cool!”.

Some people might also be inclined to stay, if it is more tactfully explained to them, that the game, is in fact, in more of a, “perpetual pre-release”, mode despite the version number 1.0 claimed on Steam. I mean, loads of people still play other online games that never ever look like getting finished. Why not this one?

4 Likes

… Except that it’s been a gentle, gradual decline for 3 years now, despite multiple sales and a very popular free weekend.

Given that the game itself is no longer even changing or improving, I wouldn’t expect the trend across its entire history to change much, either. There is not some untapped reservoir of hundreds of thousands of would-be new players who haven’t seen this game yet and who are also a perfect fit for it. So many of those people have already come and gone.

2 Likes

You got a tad bit too optimistic on this one
but then again “optimistic” for Star Citizen is it’s release date in the late 2030s :stuck_out_tongue:

perhaps, but not certain

I really do, everything is all about politics nowdays, I like poking fun at world politics (if you know where my profile pic now is from you know) but american politics keeps flooding every game, I really dont want this game to be flooded with that.

laughs in star citizen
at least in boundless you dont get killed randomly by stairs or getting injected by another player and dying becaue “medical” gameplay

Boundless is a lot more polished compared to other “perpetual pre-release” games.

edit: Boundless also doesn’t charge thousands of dollars for a comparatively small spaceship :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, Star Citizen.

Dude, like, woah…dude… :dizzy:

2 Likes

It’s alright mang, just relax and enjoy the comfy slide into oblivion with us friend. :chocolate_bar:

1 Like

Very much agreed. I get excited for bursts of noobs for various reasons but the reality is that unnatural influxes of players can be somewhat damaging in certain ways. All the random beacons over free weekend are definitely partially responsible for the decline of my city… luckily I don’t care. Losing the friends who do care is a bigger bummer to me.

For this game to thrive, like real world economies, it requires gradual and consistent growth. Whether we like it or not, human beings crave progression. If that progression is slow, it’s a reliable source of satisfaction. The problem with growing too rapidly is that it creates a new experience for us; a new standard. So when the sale ends and the rug is pulled out from under us, growth stops abruptly and we’re left with the disappointing feeling of decline… which begets faster decline… and so on.

That said, the floor on the game’s popularity rises. People coming in now will experience some of the same sporadic overpopulation issues as those who came in upon release, free weekend, or one of the other sales. We will lose the majority, while some will stay. Either way, they all own the game. The day the -dare I say it- update drops, that many more people will see it. That many more people will already be hooked on the game, that many more will come back, and that many more will remember that they own it and give it a try.

4 Likes

…but I’d much rather stay and play with all of you :heartpulse::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I have no clue how to respond to this
maybe with this?

I’m never gonna give you up, @Lunai2

Idk? However, you’re taking this madly off topic. If you have theories, or assumptions, or just general heebie-jeebie-vibe type stuff you’d like you send me personally, feel free to send a PM. :sos:

2 Likes

/pol/ or /x/ ?

Maybe even, /r9k? LOL

me, mostly /x/ :crazy_face: :ghost: :alien:

I’m off to take my meds… :rofl:

1 Like

more1

2 Likes

facepalm

2 Likes

lul someone got offended somehow and flagged this

1 Like

In all fairness I think that’s against the rules of the forums I could be wrong plus it’s a very touchy subject

1 Like

Same goes for gifs from the Lion King. Huge no-no.