Prestige Balance in Testing 218

Chisel aoe augs +1. Great idea!

3 Likes

His #1 point has always been an issue on high-tier worlds. An easy way for scaffolding to work, and distinguish itself from generic junk blocks, would be the ability to “recall” or deconstruct large quantities of it with a single click.

As an example, let’s say I was doing a massive build and deployed several hundred blocks of scaffolding in order to work on it. Now, I go to recall it - but, rather than simply right-click and grab a single block, maybe I hold down the right button (similar to the unplotting mechanic) and it removes all connected pieces of scaffolding with that single press of a button. Optionally, maybe you could “go nuclear” and deconstruct all of the scaffolding within a particular beacon using a similar method.

They could go to my inventory, or they could all simply deconstruct and fall the the ground for me to collect… Honestly, I’d be a much happier man in either case.

I brought this up a long time ago and it seemed to be a hit with the people who read about it, but it never got any dev response.

7 Likes

I know people here seem to hate with an absolute passion any comparison to Minecraft (despite the fact that cherry-picking positive features should really be encouraged), but as far as scaffolding goes they have a really neat upcoming implementation for it.

Boundless devs could definitely take some good ideas from that.

On topic:

The changes sound pretty positive. I would say though that I have never understood the need to reward ‘exotic’ blocks in builds over regular ones, it always felt like it was a creativity limiter rather than something rewarding.

Now that Prestige values for blocks are being more closely tied to effort-to-acquire (while exotic blocks are not harder to acquire), it definitely feels like it’s time to ditch that prestige modifier. Even more so since it sounds like you have now had to add another complexity to the calculation just to factor that in and balance it.

2 Likes

What nooo,really Bad idea.
The Prestige system now is perfekt .

Not many Player in this Game and the new System many Player leave the Game.

Mhonts of work and then all dir nohting :rage:.

It would allow me to earn XP very fast.

2 Likes

Extended thoughts:

I think the prestige calculation the devs need to implement is necessarily more complex than the prestige rules players need to comprehend. This mirrors footfall a bit. Players say the footfall system is too complex, but that’s only if you’re trying to predict the next amount of footfall you will get. Really all a player needs to know is “visitors generate coin”. The rest is implementation detail and/or secret sauce. You’re very kind to share the details here where we can weigh in early, but lots of players seem to confuse that with complexity in the essential system. For the prestige changes, I think all a player should have to keep in mind is “don’t spam” and they are good to go. So I would try to find how you can message these two views separately rather than let them get conflated like with footfall.

I agree that you could lose the exotic tint modifier completely. Exotic doesn’t mean much in our heavily portal-connected universe. Some places on Finata feel closer to me than remote locations on my home planet of Gellis. If you for some reason do need to take tinting into account (e.g. forward thinking for farming) can you bucket it based on N color space buckets rather than by comparing it to planet colors?

Bucketing by prestige will penalize players who use many different kinds of deco stone or brick. They all have the same prestige and therefore get bucketed and drag one another down. But if you look at the builds they would look better than a floor that was all 1 stone type. Can another histogram of block variety add in some value to counteract this loss?

I don’t see block orientation being accounted for. Some players spend a lot of time positioning blocks to get new patterns to emerge. It would be nice if they were rewarded with a prestige bump somehow. This is another way to recapture value from variety that is lost in the low resolution view of prestige bucketing.

1 Like

he means sticking the transformation boon on a chisel along with AoE boon so you can transform 9 blocks at a time instead of 1

2 Likes

Oh I thought of another signifier that might help capture value in aesthetically pleasing builds - variatic height. Gleam towers, parking lots, blocky houses; would receive less bonus points than domed houses, giant statues, etc.

If the histogram bucketing is the ideal way to enable diminishing returns on prestige, then the heights of block columns could be bucketed and awarded diminishing rewards. One way to measure this is the height from the top of the world to a placed block. We only need the values to be consistent relative to other blocks within the same beacon so this is a good way to capture that without planning for a bunch of edge cases.

1 Like

Gleam towers and parking lots. I bet you would absolutely adore my crazy WIP. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Idea for this prestige. It would be great if when we access our beacons it would not only show us the value of prestige but how it is being applied to our build. And how will this affect footfall. I have been building a car on raxxa in infinity city, I am not done with my build yet, has over 109 plots and over 200000 prestige, yet footfall only 216. And my home on pheminorum says it is part of to be continued in beckon, even though it is in pheminorum. I believe there are still issues with beacons since last guild alignment. Maybe fix that before changing more with the beacons.

Would it be possible to look into some sort of separate prestige ranking for guild settlements? A lot of the time it seems that world rankings are full of essentially duplicate settlements where the top settlements all align beacons with a guild (this isn’t malicious ofc) and push everyone down which can be quite demotivating.

I would definitely find this variant super useful (for half slab faces, and when beveling long stretches)

2 Likes

Overall, I like the attention being paid to re-balancing this system, thanks!

1. Correct me if I’m wrong regarding block variety and tints for alien vs native: More prestige gains for varying the two. Not really a penalty for uniformity just less overall gain, right? I would expect that as is a common practice IRL that main color = vast majority of a building (for example) and highlight or accent colors make up the balance.

I.E. If you make a massive solid color alien block castle wall, while impressive, it’s not as impressive as a massive castle wall with an iron banding, native block crenelations, and other native accents, etc.

1. Curious, Will the world prestige list will get any attention? Personally not a fan of guilds competing. Maybe we could get guilds on a 2nd list and not see a guild settlement and a settlement with the same name?

Thanks Dev’s and Community. I like this place.

1 Like

I would also like to see this. A tab for just the overarching Settlement, then a tab that is just for Guild Settlement rankings. Then if you want to know what settlement a guild is found in, you just click on the guild settlement in the guild places tab and it gives you the information there.

1 Like

hell yes to these changes !!! hell bloody yes !!!

chisels with special transfomration buff that changes type of block. :slight_smile: aoe chisels like this would be so dope :confused: Plz make it happen James :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Remember not all names in the list are truly “guilds” even though they might be showing that way. People need to use guilds to stop their settlement from be ravages by a prestige bomber or someone trying to take over the larger settlement name.

Personally I don’t see a need or understand why we would separate the list. I guess I don’t fully understand why this is helpful especially since all ranking will still be based on the larger list and grouping of everyone.

If it’s not a guild but being used otherwise then wouldn’t you agree it’s an issue?
What if the the settlement names persisted, instead? They could function like neighborhoods or boroughs, even suburbs. Naming rights could then go to the Metropolitan area overall but keep the sub-division names.

The current system gives us that. A primary city and then each person or guild listing under that. As you run through all areas you see the settlement name of the person that owns it if they set up a guild. Otherwise those that do not join a guild then get the larger settlement name.

If you are asking for the settlement names to be listed in the area versus those that contributed then maybe mention that. Or make a suggestion topic with exactly what you are looking for.

All I really wanted from the original post was to avoid this:

to clarify my earlier suggestion: I meant the beacons, or individuals could show up in the prestige list even if they’re a part of the larger settlement. I personally don’t care if mine does but many players do.

3 Likes