Prestige buffered regen

A security issue I would say is something that allows another person to hack your computer to get admin rights or compromises the boundless servers and files that might release personal data.

For what I would seen regarding a variety of areas (beyond what I posted) I use the generic term “hacking” on it really comes down to the Devs decision on whether they wish to stop those things are not. Not anything I can control.

Either way that is really off topic from here. So I prefer to stay on topic.

Gleam club…GLEAM CLUB…if u let it go…Just let it go…maybe take longer so more pillaging can happen

I was just trying to ask if there were players actually abusing the system.

I think the suggestion to delay regeneration of player placed blocks is valid as a bit of leeway to someone who may of forgotten to refuel their beacon by a few hours or a day or whatever.

I also think an email reminder about expiring beacons would be nice too because while I have gleam club and probably will for as long as the game is around I have seen many posts about people quitting because their beacon expired and didn’t want to go through the trouble of going through the grind to rebuild.

A email may help player retention.

2 Likes

This would be awesome. It would add to the discovery of lost builds. I still think random ones should be created by the devs and planted all over to find with treasures.

2 Likes

Is this true?

Do you know for a fact this happens?

1 Like

I’m sorry Xal, but I’m totally thankful for those who don’t scavenge and take wild builds over to give them back to their rightful owner. That’s quite altruistic of them. If that requires them to use a hack, honestly, so be it.
I have no respect for the “dog eat dog” kind of mentality in Boundless.

If for some reason my own beacon went wild and people jumped on the occasion to steal its blocks, even though it’d be fair game, I’d be pissed, and that would be a game-killer for me, I’d stop playing for sure. But if instead some people tried to save as much as they could, I’d be super thankful.
If your build accidentally went wild and some guy using a hack immediately took it over and was like “here you go, I give you your plots back for free!”, would you really be angry because he used a hack to be there before scavengers?

It’s like what happened to Blood Horizon City on Raxxa yesterday. I see that capital like a friendly adversary that I’ll never beat (because 20 millions prestige with just me and my friend, we’ll never get there), but never would I wish for them to lose half of their build to world regen or to have people jumping on the wild parts like hungry vultures.
I have the utmost respect for those like @BabyCookie and @DKPuncherello for what they did, hack or not.

NOW people who use a hack to be there first to scavenge, or who take over plots and try to sell them back, that’s a whoooole other story. I’m more ok with those who sell back because, eh, they took some of their time to save your stuff, so a little compensation is in order. The scavengers though? They can burn in HFIL.

Now a good question would be “why do they use hacks”? Because you can’t see the timer on other people’s beacons. Maybe because their hack gives them an alert or something?
I’d say, preventing people from using such a hack would be one thing, but honestly, I wouldn’t mind being able to see the timer of someone else’s beacon control, and receiving an alert when a nearby beacon dies. I’d try to plot them back to give them back for free…

So, back on topic, I’d be happy if what @Krollbar wrote could be done. But I’d still prefer 100 times to go with my older suggestion :

1 Like

Im a nieghbor to his store on ult eresho only thing I noticed when spitter attacks me from his store

3 Likes

I like the ruins idea! I wouldn’t want to give the devs coding nightmares, but this would be cool.

< shrugs >
Well, I don’t know about coding nightmares, it’s doesn’t sound like the craziest idea I’ve seen floating around. ^^
To put it simply, it would just be about converting the plots of a beacon which went wild but had a prestige level above Village or Town into a new type of plots with a new set of rules, not very differents from the ones we have on existing plots :

Ruined plots

• Wouldn’t suffer from world-regen.
• Machines wouldn’t work. Every craft in progress in cancelled.
• Crops wouldn’t grow. Prestigious crops would instantly wither.
• Would convert into wild lands and be elligible for world-regen if prestige level goes below Village or Town level.
• Could be plundered by others or be regen-bombed.
• Could be claimed by interacting with the ‘ruined beacon control’ by one who has the required number of free plots.
• Could be claimed plot-by-plot by someone with a beacon plotter. This would substract them from the plots in the Ruined beacon and would reduce the amount of prestige left, hence furthering the risk of the ruins going wild, just like with people plundering them.

I’m sure the devs could manage that.
We have Player-owned plots, Reserved plots, Plot-Protection and Wild lands, so why not yet another type of plots?
Then again, I know nothing of the technical limitations the devs have. As I often read him talking about the technical aspect of things, maybe @lucadeltodecso could confirm if that’s doable or not?

I’m 100% that it would help the game a lot.
It would lessen the risk of players leaving the game after an beacon-fuel-mishap, and players who are always jumping at the occasion to plunder builds that went wild could also take advantage of that.

5 Likes

It would produce a significant amount of garbage in the worlds. If old builds do not regen, the planets will fill up and I doubt that people would run around cleaning up that mess.

In the long run you can expect the server load to increase if regen was turned off.
Besides it is pointless for people to not want their builds to regen, if you leave the game your stuff regens as simple as that. You can always pay gleam club to prevent “accidents” not very expensive for a western world player.

On the contrary I propose instant regen, fastest regen as possible on a dead beacon to prevent plundering.

1 Like

You’re basically saying that every beacon above Village/Town where the owner isn’t actively playing is garbage as soon as there’s a beacon-fuel mishap. That sounds a bit like “my stuff is great, the stuff of others is garbage that should be cleaned-up ASAP”. :confused:

And instant regen? Really? If a player has such a mishap and feels bad to the point of wanting to leave the game, don’t you see that as a problem? Instant regen would make that even worse! It would prevent good samaritans from saving plots that went wild like the Raxxa Empire thing from yesterday.

I for one would be happy if there were permanent ruins I could either clean-up with one or two throws of regen-bombs, or take over and use at my advantage to build something cool out of it.
It’s not like everybody reaches Village or Town prestige levels without some heavy dedication.
Plus, it would allow some players to leave secret underground treasure rooms for other players! That’s something @majorvex suggested on my own thread, if I remember correctly.

Plus, it would change from the boring wild zones that barely have anything cool to show. Yeah, I said it, sorry devs : we have about 50 worlds and we’ve had about twice as many exo-worlds, and all of them are the same damn thing. They all look way too similar because they can’t use any of the crafted blocks.
Boundless doesn’t have “biomes” like other games of the genre have.

2 Likes

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but what do you call the distinct areas on the planets then if not biomes? How are they different from other games?

In Boundless, what you call areas are just color-variants of the same other things we see everywhere.

In other games, a biome has very specific textures.
Here an example from CV :
Stalactite biome :

Lava biome :

Corruption biome :

Tundra biome :

There’s about 15 biomes like that. Jungle, marsh, grasslands, forests…

Yeah my stuff is so great that I regend 4 of my bases already, all together in total worth over 20 mil pres.
It’s dev speak, garbage refers to unused data space.

The amount of clutter created over time would amaze you, a ruin here a ruin there. And think about the new players unable to forge regen bombs. Plus I have no desire to have to manually clean up thousands of plots if I want to move my base again to some unused space.
Which would create a real hassle to find then. “Is it still in use dunno it’s still there. Is the owner having a mishap should I not build there?” etc.

I like the system how it is and it gives the players time to reclaim too. The instant regen is more a thought to totally prevent plundering.

I can’t really see what we would gain here. The ruins would mostly be picked up or regened by a few players just like it is now. It’s probably doable, but what would be the gain? To push a change their needs to be a need, and this doesn’t really address any need other than giving people a chance to plunder an entire build rather than a partial build. The chance it is going to go back to the original owner seems pretty slim.

2 Likes

Yeeeeaaaaaaah… :grimacing:

I doubt devs would use the term garbage like you did, though. :sweat_smile:
Maybe you have the time to cr@p out builds worth 20 million prestige every now and then, but I wouldn’t consider that as the norm.

The normal player comes, builds a basic house in a week or so with basic blocks, not even refined stones, then it downs on that player that he’s gonna have to keep playing often to keep his stuff.
That’s already something that will deter a lot of players.
If that player gets dunked on by a beacon-fuel-mishap, depending on how proud the player was of his build, there a high % chance it’s a player who’s never playing the game again.
That’s a problem Boundless has and weirdly enough, other building games don’t.

The amount of inactive builds below Village or Town, I know it’s huge, there’s no doubt about that.

Inactive builds above that threshold, honestly, I think if someone reaches Town or City on their own, I’d say that person shouldn’t be treated the same way as someone with a basic 2x2 plots house made of refined stone.
But if Village or Town is too low a requirement, hey, I could also get behind putting the threshold at City level. < shrugs >
I just can’t get behind the “everything is fine, don’t change anything” mentality. The game is NOT fine. There are issues. Don’t you see the many threads where people ask “how to increase the population of Boundless?” that pop-up every so often?

You’re throwing A LOT of fake problems.
What’s that BS about new players being unable to forge regen bombs? An AoE diamond hammer that oneshots blocks on T6 worlds, now that I get. But regen bombs are super simple to make or to find.

Crying about having to clean-up someone’s ruins to take-up the space?
When I wanna build somewhere or move my base, there will be a clean-up process anyway, because I gotta remove trees, flatten the ground, etc. Having to throw one or two regen bombs to remove ruins if I don’t wanna play with them changes nothing.

And asking yourself “is this still in use?”… I mean that’s not a problem. It’s obviously falls in the fair-game-category where you can do as you want. Plunder it, take it over, clean it. The player can’t complain if you do, but he still has a chance to get everything back if he gets there first.

I thought the gains were pretty obvious.
• Lessened risk of a high-prestige beacon which went wild to regen.
• Emergence of actual player-made ruins that could be taken over or cleaned-up.
• possibility to create hidden treasure rooms, or fun community-bases events.

Now sure, there will be plunderers.
But as we’ve seen yesterday, there are good samaritans, that’s a cold hard fact.

1 Like

The first paragraph shows me that a discussion on this topic with you is pointless.

Have fun, I stated my point and am out of this.

Lets be honest the people asking for this as just people that want to loot big builds from people that have quit the game right?

At least if you all are honest then you can suggest what you really want, Maybe something like if a player placed block gets hit by regen it has a chance to become ancient technology or something like that.

I feel the problem with this game is that people who quit… like they are really gone… their trash doesnt go away fast enough and were stuck with random builds everywhere with endless timers.
(ie look at this awesome area and that player has plotted 4 plots right in the middle, ill just wait… 6 weeks to see if he is actually coming back)

Im not sure what hacking is involved you can literally walk up to a beacon and look at how long it has left, you can then go on your phone and set a timer to go off 1 hour before and go camp the build out.

1 Like

Yup we just got lucky haha. I wandered by and Baby was like “DK come help us save raxxa city!” I was pretty confused at first without any context but I just followed her haha :slight_smile:

But I too want to know if there’s really a way for people to exploit and see when beacons expire. This may sound crazy, but if this is in fact true, IMO the devs should even the playing field and let everyone equally see time remaining in game. Until they address the issue.

Yeah, sure. If you say so.
As you were also never going to change your mind, it was indeed a waste of time debatting. :wink:

That’s very cynical. I wouldn’t do that, and I’m sure Krollbar wouldn’t either… :confused:
I can’t believe the Boundless community is really that bad.

It’s uncool to use the word trash like that (and don’t try to say it’s a coding term like the other guy XD). But I get where you’re coming from, for sure. I myself am surrounded by builds belonging to players who log in maybe once every few months.
For that, this entire thread isn’t a solution.

The issue would be that we have people who only log in to refuel their beacons, and don’t do anything with them. But really, that’s fair game, and I don’t see any proper way to change that.

Would you recommend a limit on how much gleam-club time you can have at once? My own build is pretty much protected up until October 2020. Should there be limit be 6 months max? I don’t think the devs would agree, it’d mean less money going to them.

I mean, if it was me, I’d cut the game’s retail price in half (making it about 20$), I’d remove the gleam club and I’d make its features baseline. THEN I’d replace the current beacon fuel system by something like the beacon fuel automatically going back to minimum 25% of it’s timer (about a month, right?) everytime the owner logs in. And you only use beacon fuel when you know you’re gonna be absent for a long while. To make-up for the loss of gleam club, maybe make the beacon fuel buyable with cubits?