Prestige buffered regen

I have heard complaints at times that regen is too fast for builds, and I remember what a nightmare slow regen was for miners early on…

What if a chunk could only lose so much prestige to regen every 4 hours…? As in once a chunk’s prestige drops by 2,000 (or something) regen is paused for 4 hours. Thoughts?

That way decaying cities wouldn’t be gone in a day. A regen bomb would still insta-vaporize it though.

4 Likes

I am confused as to what people’s complaints around this are?

It seems just a tacking because they didn’t show instantly when the beacon went away and want to make sure they can get more of the blocks before they disappear. Since the regen layer is so important I think it is fine… things still slow down as people pass over it so we don’t need a hard stop.

I’ve suggested before that it would be cool for a build to not start regen for about a week. It’s a bit scary to think that missing your beacon timer by a day or so erases your entire build. Would be cool to have a buffer week. Also I think it would make build scavenging a bit more of an actual profession.

1 Like

Unfortunately that really isn’t an option. There are people that have hacked the game and can read the beacon timers. Those people show up instantly upon expiration and take the builds over. So as much as I loved scavenging, at this point until we remove those that cheat nothing really will solve it. I don’t want regen to be ruined in other ways by some changes in this area.

2 Likes

I’d like to think that they are able to differentiate natural regen from plot regen. But idk. Didn’t realize that beacon timers have been hacked. And honestly if they have that seems like a major issue that should be addressed. I personally think it’s dumb that if I quit playing someone would have to be at my beacon within hours in order to get any loot. I’d even be ok with builds lasting until looted or regen bombed.

2 Likes

I don’t really see a problem with the way regen works now, just think it’d be cooler to slow regen down for player builds

5 Likes

Same. It’s fine now. But if I could have my way a build would stay after the timer runs out giving everyone a chance to stumble upon it and either loot it or regen it if its in their way. But even just longer would be cool.

2 Likes

I suggested this earlier and got flogged for it lol. I think it makes more sense though.

If someone wants it out of their way, they toss a regen bomb on it. If they want the blocks, they take them. If they like the place and want to keep it or know the previous owner and want to help save it, they can. Otherwise, keep strolling along. I don’t see why it has to regen itself in a couple of hours. Let us do it, if we want to.

8 Likes

And think about the loners like me in the game. I’ve got no one around me if I forgot to fuel my beacon and it stayed chances are it would be there a little while before someone came across it. Might be able to save my stuff and keep me in the game.

This seems like fixing a crack with blue tack, and when the blue tack dries and breaks, filling those cracks with blue tack. How about just fixing the root of the issue with: Notifications of when a beacon has 24 hours till expiration? Would have to be outside of the game like via email or something but that would fix the issue.

If builds stayed around after beacon expired then the planets would look quiet ugly. It’s all good for the “good” looking builds but what about he not so good looking? It’s about appealing to new players, if I spawned in some refined gleam deco gemmed old City, I would not be so hyped tbh

Edit: personally I think “tough poop”, you should of kept an eye on it, but I understand it’s frustrating and that means people might leave the game, so I’m all for preventing that

4 Likes

If I remember correctly there is just one regen system so they would have to create a different system plus find a way to mark blocks that were part of a beacon versus player placed blocks that were not part of a beacon in order to have a build regen at a different rate than mining an area regens. You also would have to account for and somehow mark empty space where maybe a hill was removed so that if it was in a beaconed zone it again would regen at a different rate than when you were digging for resources. I understand the concerns about players leaving when their beacon expires, but I am not sure how a more complicated regen system prevents their build from being scavenged so they still come back to nothing.

1 Like

I’m not a beacon hawk but I’m curious, do you really know that people have hacked beacon timers some how?

I have talked to some that check beacons regularly and as soon as they see it smoking they set a reminder to go loot as soon as it is supposed to expire.

Is there a security issue that needs to be addressed?

A security issue I would say is something that allows another person to hack your computer to get admin rights or compromises the boundless servers and files that might release personal data.

For what I would seen regarding a variety of areas (beyond what I posted) I use the generic term “hacking” on it really comes down to the Devs decision on whether they wish to stop those things are not. Not anything I can control.

Either way that is really off topic from here. So I prefer to stay on topic.

Gleam club…GLEAM CLUB…if u let it go…Just let it go…maybe take longer so more pillaging can happen

I was just trying to ask if there were players actually abusing the system.

I think the suggestion to delay regeneration of player placed blocks is valid as a bit of leeway to someone who may of forgotten to refuel their beacon by a few hours or a day or whatever.

I also think an email reminder about expiring beacons would be nice too because while I have gleam club and probably will for as long as the game is around I have seen many posts about people quitting because their beacon expired and didn’t want to go through the trouble of going through the grind to rebuild.

A email may help player retention.

2 Likes

This would be awesome. It would add to the discovery of lost builds. I still think random ones should be created by the devs and planted all over to find with treasures.

2 Likes

Is this true?

Do you know for a fact this happens?

1 Like

I’m sorry Xal, but I’m totally thankful for those who don’t scavenge and take wild builds over to give them back to their rightful owner. That’s quite altruistic of them. If that requires them to use a hack, honestly, so be it.
I have no respect for the “dog eat dog” kind of mentality in Boundless.

If for some reason my own beacon went wild and people jumped on the occasion to steal its blocks, even though it’d be fair game, I’d be pissed, and that would be a game-killer for me, I’d stop playing for sure. But if instead some people tried to save as much as they could, I’d be super thankful.
If your build accidentally went wild and some guy using a hack immediately took it over and was like “here you go, I give you your plots back for free!”, would you really be angry because he used a hack to be there before scavengers?

It’s like what happened to Blood Horizon City on Raxxa yesterday. I see that capital like a friendly adversary that I’ll never beat (because 20 millions prestige with just me and my friend, we’ll never get there), but never would I wish for them to lose half of their build to world regen or to have people jumping on the wild parts like hungry vultures.
I have the utmost respect for those like @BabyCookie and @DKPuncherello for what they did, hack or not.

NOW people who use a hack to be there first to scavenge, or who take over plots and try to sell them back, that’s a whoooole other story. I’m more ok with those who sell back because, eh, they took some of their time to save your stuff, so a little compensation is in order. The scavengers though? They can burn in HFIL.

Now a good question would be “why do they use hacks”? Because you can’t see the timer on other people’s beacons. Maybe because their hack gives them an alert or something?
I’d say, preventing people from using such a hack would be one thing, but honestly, I wouldn’t mind being able to see the timer of someone else’s beacon control, and receiving an alert when a nearby beacon dies. I’d try to plot them back to give them back for free…

So, back on topic, I’d be happy if what @Krollbar wrote could be done. But I’d still prefer 100 times to go with my older suggestion :

1 Like

Im a nieghbor to his store on ult eresho only thing I noticed when spitter attacks me from his store

3 Likes

I like the ruins idea! I wouldn’t want to give the devs coding nightmares, but this would be cool.