Prestige issue/concern

I know prestige isn’t a huge deal and all but it at least gives me some metric and feeling of advancement after a day of building. Recently I have had some issue with people reserving space directly on the side of large claims I was trying to put together for a build, so I decided it was best just to reserve more space around my main build so I could expand there instead.

I was sitting around 650k prestige and I went and claimed about 100 plots of water/air (no blocks) and it lowered my total prestige to 582k. I am at a bit of a loss as to why claiming these empty plots would have such a large negative impact. It was a bit discouraging to build all night and see that I had backslid so much. Is this the intended behavior?

4 Likes

Think of the number of plots like a multiplier. So if you do more with less plots = profit.

2 Likes

But why exactly the decrease? I can understand lesser increase. But decrease?
Especially air plots. I know native leafs and so on decreased prestige some time ago.

2 Likes

There is a “built” (i think, don’t have game access now) multiplier for prestige. So if you Have x plots with 20% build multiplier, and then add x empty plots, air, soil, water… anything in pristine state (not mined, no blocks added), then you have 2x plots, but 20% / 2 multiplier. That’s what I think is going on.

Super frustrating if that is the case I think I will just wait and build more come private servers. At least we can link this as proof of pay to lose in the steam reviews!

It’s crazy to me that you have to reserve the plots around to be able to use them and keep others from moving right on top of you… but you are penalized for doing so. Seems like an odd intentional choice to make.

2 Likes

While i kind of agree, i do understand giving incentive to make smaller, more compact builds which would actually encourage to make multiple small buildings in town instead of one big one.
While not practical for factory, it could create quite stunning landscape.

Would be interested in seeing how would 2x2 plots town look like :smiley: (beside beeing insanely tall).

Therka market (rip) was first created with this rule in mind…1 player = 1x1 plots!
hehe good times! :laughing: Looked amazing, people used lot of creativity to manage these tiny space.

With time and people leaving, plots get merged and the rest is history.
But the initial intent was the most crazy and smart thing we have ever seen on Boundless.

If someone want to launch something like this, I would totally support the concept!

2 Likes

It was 2x2 at start on the therka market. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry I forgot, sound more practical!
If I had more time to play, I would try to build/manage a settlement like this. But like every cool stuff, time investment is mandatory.

2 Likes

You can always post there signs on big, thick decorative diamond post, that say “KEEP OUT, cross this border and be shot”

count me in
it’s infinitely better than taking 234135 portals to actually find a good deal.

Unfortunately, we have already had one build where people tried to build right on top of us to take over the island. So this time we decided to claim the area around us to avoid the drama… only to have it negatively impact our prestige. It’s just frustrating and feels no win at the moment.

1 Like

Pave it all in compacted diamond, and you’ll get your prestige back!

Just think of it this way: Eventually you’ll end up using all those plots, building stuff on them, and that will then once again improve your prestige. But yeah, I agree. It sucks.

1 Like

The multipliers eventually cap out at a certain %. Once you build a certain amount it becomes much harder to drop those multipliers sonce you are so far above the max thresh hold.

In point, the larger your build/the more time you put into it, evens out in the long run.

You could:
a. Reserve empty plots with a different beacon, so that they don’t effect your main build and transfer them back to your main beacon once you need them. (What is what I’m going to do after reading this :smile:)
b. Ignore prestige altogether.

4 Likes

As someone that has always gone with b, I have found having a single person impressed with my build was more rewarding than being the capital.

Both are great advice. :grinning:

2 Likes

Separate the buffer plots from your build plots. That way your build plots don’t take the built modifier penalty when you beacon empty space.
Edit: I guess @Kirinvar beat me to the post :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hmmm. Or use an alt! That might actually work. It won’t detract from the prestige of your original build, and the alt simply won’t add to it either.

So I removed all the plots and moved them to another Beacon, back to 682k prestige woohoo! Not exactly how I wanted to spend my afternoon but back in business! Thanks for all the help!

2 Likes