Private Planet ReBuild Option

I’ve mentioned this privately but figured I would do a post here just in case others haven’t raised their concern. A big issue I see right now with Private Planets is that after it is purchased and they connect to it the first time that they might not find a world they particularly like. If I remember right there is no option to regen the world or try to build it again. Or the player might want to try to see if they get a different landscape look or something.

Personally I think that a person should be able to delete that world and try to create it again or some type of option to rebuild should be available before this release is made live.

Additionally, as a use case I could see a person having a private planet but at some point wanting to change it up and change it by wiping and redoing. Maybe even changing the planet type and stuff. So it might be nice to offer that or some type of option to reset.

I was curious others views…

• Allow ability to recreate the planet through a rebuild option (with the ability to change planet type and settings)
  • Allow ability to recreate the planet through a rebuild option (previous settings stay same)
  • Do not allow any rebuild/recreate options after the first planet build ever. You get what you rolled.
  • Other (list details below)

0 voters

Mostly I just think before a person is stuck on a private planet forever they should be happy with it. If we don’t do this now people will just reach out asking for rebuilds because they are disappointed.

All right I’m in for a rebuild option with options remaining the same.

With the inabilty to select biomes or any percentages for stuff like water coverage this is my biggest concern about renting a world.

I’m content with the color system and plotting arrangements, even if I feel they could be more “ideal”. But I don’t want to get an ‘ugly’ planet, and tastes do vary widely on this (what’s ugly I mean).

1 Like

I like this idea, but Im not sure how it will play with the colors? I guess the chance of new colors wont apply on a rebuild?

1 Like

I agree that people should be able to like what they get in the 1st place (as much as possible), but being able to change their minds later if they want a different type of planet…why don’t they have to buy that new type of planet though?

Wouldn’t this go into the same boat/argument lately that it costs the devs time and money to do this, therefore, it takes profit away from the game?

1 Like

This would be fine with me. IMO it’s a separate issue from the color thing.

This is why I voted for the option that doesn’t allow you to change the planet type or profile.

I’m assuming this would be something that is done before the planet is finalized. Not something you could casually do at any time.

Yeah I see this more like an option for ugly terrain. Like who would like to pay for a world that is 80% holes and has no gleam or its missing some blocks?

1 Like

I only say it because leting people re-roll until they get a new color won’t make sense, if devs allow that wouldn’t be easier to let people pick from any color from the start? :laughing:

1 Like

Yes I don’t think re-rolling for colors was what @Xaldafax was trying to get at.

I also raised this point early on. If a planet is something I decide to budget for, I don’t want to have a planet that I don’t like, in terms of terrain. There’s a line between perfect and just pleasant, I realize with a random gen but there could be major issues.

Anyways I WON’T be buying a new planet every month hoping that I get one I like in less than 10 or 12 months/rolls.

1 Like

maybe when you order a new planet, you could get 3-4 different new maps to cycle through, try the colors and then pick one

4 Likes

Agreed. As far as we know, world generation is currently a manual process done by the devs. If there was a UI in place then I’d be all for this but in the functionality’s current implementation it seems like this could take a lot of dev time.

Planets are like pancakes, the first one is rarely good. :joy:
So I guess this would be a much needed addition.

4 Likes

We don’t have all the details yet, so maybe there will be some type of terrain selection option (one they can add more options to later?)

1 Like

Yeah I am more worried about the terrain and look over the colors. I didn’t see the color setting in testing yet but that isn’t my main point. I do still feel people should be happy with the planet across the board and an easy “rebuild” option should not hurt too much.

I think mostly James was concerned because of the wait people might have to endure on the rebuild. (builds aren’t like instant and everything since there are many layers). I told him that should be fine because people ASKED for it. But I forget the exact details around the last talk about private planets.

1 Like

To me this seems like it would be easy to implement? It wouldn’t give a complete re-roll, but might make a world feel a bit better.

Right I would rather wait even if it’s 72 - 96 hours for regeneration than rent a planet I’m unhappy with for a month before trying again.

EDIT:

@KKBell Yeah I would love it if we could specify some of those selections up front. Also I’m not sure if percentage of surface area that is water is a ‘slider’ type selection or not.

1 Like

That is why I did this. For me I don’t want to risk a paid planet for a single roll of the RNG dice and be stuck with it. I feel many others wouldn’t like that as well and it would actually get us more bad reviews. A simple disclaimer that rebuilds take time or whatever at least allows people to decide.

Water is set for 3 levels i think, also you can turn on lava in place of water.

Note: this is not true per Luca’s post below.

The devs don’t use world builder for their worlds though per something Ross shared a bit ago. I can provide a link if needed once im back at my computer.

How much backlog time would be possible though?

If this feature proves popular enough, it could be like the states currently dealing with unemployment crisis and taking 17 weeks to get sorted due to overwhelming demand and limited skilled claims adjusters. Seems quite possible we might see something similar in regards to dev time and planet handling/manicuring time.

If that is going to be the case, then it needs to be made very clear up front what potential wait times could be.(i see you addressed this somewhat in a later post - definitely imperative that people are made aware as you suggest) People asking and expecting one thing without realizing the potential fallout in regards to others things isn’t the same thing. As long as the players are educated on the ramifications that type of detailed handling involves, then sure, let there be a backburner of planets to get to.

but then how do they decide who gets dealt with first? Is it in order of planet generation? Does the player keep priority until the world is gotten just right, or does the player skip back to the queue if they don’t like the 2nd rebuild?

Hmm. Didn’t know that. I wonder if their generator follows any of the World builder rules?