Progression & Experience Gaining Changes

I think this is going in the right direction!

You might want to consider not requiring the player to choose which objectives to activate - just let them naturally complete as the player does things in the world. (But definitely give us a mechanism for tracking the objectives we care about)

That would imply that either objectives don’t have overlapping tasks, or that some objectives unlock as earlier ones are completed

2 Likes

Like plenty of others already wrote: Not getting exp nor coin from anything but those objectives sounds quite limiting regarding play stile. What makes it even worse is the idea of implementing it as daily-objectives. For me, personally, this means that I’ll finish my dailies and then play something else since I won’t get any coin or exp for any of my efforts.

Almost any early-access survival game i know (Rust, 7 Days to Die, Life is Feudal) has had an “activity based” exp system since its early days. All of them are very fun to use and barely-to-not exploitable, shame that it’s not meant to be for Boundless. :cry:

There, fixed it :wink:

What if, instead of implementing such extremely generic objects, you tune them down to a “Mine any single block” objective that is permanently active without being tracked? Which would basically make it activity based exp, while reserving the ‘objectives-mechanic’ for the interesting tasks.

PS:

Collaborative/Competitive ‘Guild- & World Objectives’ definitely sound like something that should be a thing too.

1 Like

At this point we’re bringing the discussions in circles, your points have been already mentioned and answered above.

There’s not only daily objectives.

Not funny, and not in accordance to what’s been talked about, dailies, weeklies and objectives list are different things.

Not at all. True, my first paragraph was about agreeing with what has already been said, but the rest of my post added new ideas or voiced my humble personal thoughts on the topic.

Absolutely, though, everything but the daily-objective isn’t repeatable (as it stands now), so eventually you’re left with nothing but the dailies.
Gotta think in long terms :wink:

We’re aiming for 50+ objectives per area (crafter, miner, etc) which you only need to complete once. They are currently not planned to be repeatable but this is subject for debate. However, you only need to complete two or three professions to reach the level cap.

From what it seems, not so hard to reach level cap.

So dailies and weeklies are just a bonus-

Repeatable tasks will mostly be for daily and weekly tasks which will have bigger rewards.

The level cap might not be the deciding/limiting factor here but the carve to obtain further coins.

1 Like

Good point there, I completely forgot about that part of the deal. I stand corrected :slight_smile:

What’s nice about coins, is that objectives won’t be the only way to get more. So objectives will still be completed with the intention of getting exp and learning every aspect of the game.

2 Likes

Good news here as well… But for a short “throw in” …

++ for repeatable quests (also if per day or week)

BUT! …

– for a time limit to fulfill them

People may not have enough time so let them finish them if they want and don’t force them. Of cause they can get no new daily or weekly if they still have others active :wink:

Nice on that daily and weekly suggestion, it would be nice to keep the quest if you’re about to finish it, but can’t in that time frame. You lose the benefit of getting a new one the next day or week, but get the benefit of being able to complete your objective.

Maybe with the option between deciding to keep doing the old objective or transition into the new one.

In the Pokemon TCG Online, you get dailies, which mean that you can accept a daily quest/objective, but it doesn’t mean you get a day to complete it. And I really like that system

3 Likes

“Maybe with the option between deciding to keep doing the old objective or transition into the new one.”

That sounds like a golden way. You are not allowed to take one per day, but to finish :wink:

It’s really interesting (by which I don’t mean bad) to see how different the game will be on release compared to when I signed up for the early access. I’ve never really been part of this type of community feedback based design before.

My understanding is that with the new proposed system, if you really only like mining, you could complete all the mining objectives and then just do mining themed dailies to reach the level cap. That sounds great (I don’t think I ever would, but having option is a big bonus)!

While I would REALLY like all tasks to be ‘active’ and available to work on instead of just having to pre-select 5 (as nevir has already suggested), I would hazard a guess that that’s a technical limitation (It’s efficient to check whether any action fulfills a requirement for any of 5 tasks, but to make it so that all actions implicitly update ANY relevant potential task would probably end up being a more complicated system that the previously considered XP per action one) of the proposed system?

Something that does concern me though is that based on the currently suggested objectives, I’m not totally convinced that the proposed system works equally well across playstyles. For example, it’s sounds like it’ll be great for crafting. Do all the tasks = craft all the things. It’ll give you a good tutorial about crafting and is more or less how you would play anyway. But with mining, that sounds like you’ll only really be rewarded for completing things you haven’t already done, and not actually for playing the game. For example, I want to build a house with metamorphic rock from Therka. If I’m lucky, there will be a task to mine some of it. But after that, I’m not going to get any more experience for it, irrespective of how much of it I needed to build my house? That seems like it might be more frustrating than beneficial, and make being a miner essentially require you to be a bit of an explorer.

Maybe that’s the goal though? If you don’t have repeatable, or large bulk-tasks, then there’s no such thing as grinding for experience. That truly WOULD be a novelty in an MMO styled game :stuck_out_tongue:.

Also, Explorer tasks (acutally, all tasks that require visiting X planet) seem to have a minor flaw. Exploring something specific assumes that something specific exists. So ‘Go to Solum and find X landmark’. On launch, you can set it up so that each launch planet has one or two, or a handful of objectives, depending on the number of planets. But that means that should you be required to add more servers because Boundless really takes off, or (God forbid) it doesn’t and you chose to close a few, you’ll have to continually keep the potential objective lists updated. Furthermore, it means you can’t provide objectives for privately rented servers, because you can’t always guarantee people will maintain the monthly fee?

PS. Sorry if it sounds like I’m just finding faults. I’m still, very excited for when this is ready and gets rolled out to have a play with.

3 Likes

I’m a bit torn between selecting objectives to keep them active and having them auto complete with no selection.

Auto complete would make it easy for bots - but I know how difficult it is to even type and have a conversation with a friend while you are out exploring a difficult planet without having mobs all over you, I’m not really a fan of being forced to use outside sites and outside means of communication to play any game. I think having to return to Sanctum from a hostile planet just so you get peace and quiet for 5 minutes so you can review which objectives to turn on and off would get tedious for sure.

2 Likes

I believe the Sanctum works as a “parking lot” in order to store youre char for a while - it might keep servers stable, or a little less populated by idle chars. Like a player cache. Not sure if I estimate it right, but it could be this way.

Is this definitely something we’ve thought about and are considering still. My personal take is that I would rather have an opt-in approach. There are a few edge-cases where a player would complete an objective whilst doing something else which I think cheapens the objective a little. Likewise if we add additional objectives and they instantly unlock next time you start the game then the content doesn’t deliver any meaningful activity for the players. (Clearly we would attempt to work around all these cases.) Given that we could do either, I’ve proposed that we try the opt-in version initially, see how it works, and be open to alternatives based on that experience.

There are some Objectives that don’t fit this opt-in and enable pattern. For example: “Discover Sherwood Forrest in England” - whoopsy already discovered, “Discover all regions in England” - whoopsy already discovered them all. Instantly unlocking the objective doesn’t seem satisfying. With this in mind I can see us ending up with a hybrid system. Potentially there are other objective domains that are more suitable to historic + current actions, rather than just current actions whilst enabled.

Currently each World contains 50 named Landmarks. These are determined when the worlds are created - as they attempt to be biome specific, ie. visually meaningful rather than just a random lump of land. I think this gives us a lot of content.

Has anyone discovered all 50 locations on any of the worlds yet? (Appreciate it’s tough to know given that there is no GUI for them at the moment.)

I always dig a hole and bury myself for a few minutes. Not pretty but does the job.

7 Likes

I’ve spent 99.9% of my in-game time on Solum and I’m not even close. I think I’ve discovered 15 or 16 out of 50.

The sanctum is essentially a (semi) “offline” mode - it’s hosted on your local machine - basically so that you have somewhere to log into if the last world you were on, is offline for any reason. You then still have the ability to choose another location to go to, so you can carry on playing.

I think that’s a good approach, given the mixed feelings about what is proposed. As others have said, it’ll be easier to comment on physical testing of an idea than just the idea itself - just need to reiterate to some, that this is a proposed system and not set in stone :wink:

I discovered quite a few on Solum the other night when I was running around trying to find 30nstillgaming’s build-in-progress … 11 in the space of 1.5 hours. I’m tempted to try and find the rest now :smiley:

7 Likes

I have 43 on Therka, no idea where the rest ones is…
Most of them i have just running by, and have no memory of them…

It would be nice with some sort of collectable from each location, maybe a location-specific plant or a little temple with a numbered block (1-50) to harvest.

Would also like a list with discovered and undiscovered locations, with coordinates and a little description for the spotted ones. Maybe in form of a book, where you can write a short note for each. (I am to lazy for paper and pen.)

4 Likes

Yeah, I’d like this, I suggested something visual to view your undiscovered locations such as a wall map or a globe which would unfog as you uncovered it.

4 Likes

I loved that idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was excited when I first heard of objectives giving coin & exp… as an additive, but the objective completely replacing the lvling system worries me.

^
I completely understand this point and appreciate the devs restraint in not over committing themselves to such a system to the determent of other, probably more important, areas of the game.

My main concern is that, as others have already put, I don’t want to login to a list of “homework” masked as dailies that i will feel compelled to do in order to “keep up / continue to progress” before i can do what i REALLY want to do.

A potential band-aid to this problem would to combine the 2 systems together so that MOST exp comes from Objectives but that players still get a token amount of exp from doing other things (something quite small like 1 exp per block mined etc) so that players can still progress BOTH: while doing what they want AND when they have exhausted their objectives… albeit very slowly.

Just my 2 cents though =)

2 Likes