I think there's been a lot mentioned in this thread, and some ideas are not been comprehended correctly, so I'll do my best to summarize what the devs have said, and what the majority of the community has commented. So that anyone who joins in, can grasp on what's been discussed upon.
New way to earn exp
It will transition from activities based exp, to objectives based exp.
- The system doesn’t scale.
- Everything gives you the same amount of experience despite the difficulty and time it takes to get or make an item.
- Players are finding ways to game the current system and speed up how fast they level, which is something we want to resolve.
Which would require a complex system to track combat and handle players exploiting it, distributing fairly between who's in the fight and what not. This system will be different from the one awarding xp to exploring, mining, crafting, building and trading.
What are objectives?
Objectives will essentially be a task list and you can go out and complete these at your leisure to earn experience and coin, you can active up to 5 at any time. There will always be a collection of objectives to pick from.
We're aiming for 50+ objectives per area (crafter, miner, etc) which you only need to complete once.They are currently not planned to be repeatable but this is subject for debate. However, you only need to complete two or three professions to reach the level cap.
The objectives can vary from extremely generic: "Mine any 5 blocks", to extremely defined: "Travel to Therka and mine 5 Ancient Corruption from the base of a glacier".
You choose which objectives to enable from the available objectives. If you want to go hunting, enable a hunting themed objective. If you want to go mining, enable a mining themed objective. They will be broken up into multiple categories so you can complete ones you care about and ignore the ones which do not apply to your character. The whole point of this system is to give you control over what you want to do.
Once the objective is active it will start tracking what the player is doing and will mark as complete when the player fulfills the criteria. You don't need to turn it in, it just completes and you get the coin and exp.
Initially objectives will be tutorials and they'll teach the player about the game and the various mechanics.
The important thing here is that the objective will teach you about what you are doing and explain how it works.
As you complete objectives more are unlocked and reveal more about the game and offers insight about how you can complete the tasks, where you can find certain resources or how you craft certain items.
There will also be random daily and weekly objectives which will give you more experience and coin for completing them, so there should always be plenty to do. Repeatable tasks will mostly be for daily and weekly tasks which will have bigger rewards.
Experience and what it does
The importance of having just one unified experience pool is in reaching the level cap and being able to assign your skill points in a lot of different areas, even though you leveled up just doing 3 areas.
Community insight and opinions (Majority)
From what I've got out of the comments.
- There's a common consensus deterring the welcoming of objectives,as it sounds like it stops or roadblocks the free play style we've got now. Which it might seen like it. But if anything, it seems like objectives are focusing on the core of the game, and what any regular player would do, and you're free to choose what to do and what not to, needing to do 3 or 2 professions to it's fullest, meaning 100 to 150 objectives, does not sound bad at all, compared to all the grind you have in other games.
- Opt in objectives vs automatic tracking objectives. There's a worry about them, which has been answered.
- Hybrid way of earning exp
It's been proposed by some players to both get exp from objectives and exp, from what it seems, it may be hard. But maybe viable if we limit it to small simplistic tasks. but I don't know.
Interesting ideas mentioned (Not the majority,subjective)
- Objectives are harder in some professions than in others
- Time limit for dailies and weeklies
Maybe have the dailies and weeklies have a certain time to be accepted as objectives, but have no time limit upon competition. Meaning you get day 1 to accept daily objective 1, but you didn't completed in day 1, comes day 2 and you have the option to continue with daily objective 1 or transfer into daily objective 2. You can't complete both on day 2, but it will allow more casual gamers to get the chance to complete one daily or weekly at least, and more regular users to complete as many as they can, obviously without doing more than one daily or weekly in the corresponding time.
- We'll have to wait for the objectives to be implemented to see how they work, personally I have nothing against the old and proposed system, if anything I like the new one better.
- There's a lot of confusion with thinking the dailies and weeklies are the only objectives.
- Nothing is in stone, and it might change, depending on how it goes.