Pronunciation

Voice chat on a hunt never ceases to entertain me with the different ways we all pronounce world names. Some are pretty easy, like Serpensarindi, others like Lasagna are almost as obvious, but then there’s Delta (I pronounce it Can Kret).

This discussion was sparked to help people pronounce my favourite (in English, there’s basically one way to pronounce it, with only minor variations, such as the tone of the final “A”), as it’s easier than you might think, but what world names do you struggle with?

Sorry it’s a bit off-topic, I’m actually not that interested in farming :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Or, if you want to shorten it

7 Likes

Yup I’m with @ReebanRuben on this one. I only call it McRib and it was one of my favorite planets. As was Shedu Tier. But since the lighting update i don’t know if I am still a fan of McRib yet. As for Shedu I don’t like it anymore.

3 Likes

Do you say “shed you”?

And I do agree that you can shorten them, of course, but that’s beside the point :stuck_out_tongue:

Shedu Tier

5 Likes

Alnitans is Atlantis :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Lol no actually that never crossed my mind. I either say the whole name or just shedu.

I can’t say Shedu Tier without finishing it with : cause am missin’ you, but am still all right to smile. :joy:

5 Likes

Ah-rie or Air-rie?

It’s the second to me

The first one since it’s also a rather normal Dutch first name pronounced like that…

Shady Tear.

Norkee.

B**ch-ula.

Hoochie.

Gay-lan.

All-knee-tans.

Mal-urial-akrib (like OP) or McRib most of the time (because Reeban is right)

Gee-yo-sha

Suh-phonics 'MURKA!!

Glow-vee or Glow-va-thee-oh-sa.

Seh-gen-knee-ak-eye.

Gellis with a hard G.

Delta Can’t Crit

Circarpous sounds like Circus but theres a carp in there. Sounds fishy to me.

Oh, and can’t forget the most difficult one…

Zass-sack.

2 Likes

Circapoe, because cajun

1 Like

I always get a kick out of @jiivita’s pronunciation of Biitula… he calls it…Bi tool lee a. Makes me giggle… just like he pronounces my character Jinabean instead of Ginabean. :joy: I actually made an alt in his honor. :nerd_face::+1:.

We all pronounce things in our own way and I think it’s because we cannot assume the way to say the vowels due to our wide variance of linguistics and cultural differences. (Which is actually pretty cool that we can all laugh at the issue together. )

It would be cool to have a bit of lore with some breakdown of how to pronounce the names. I really would like to know if I am on Try-or or Tree-or.

Fun post.

3 Likes

I’m a Circa-puss girl, myself. :joy:

2 Likes

Is it? That’s pretty :slight_smile: I don’t think I can train my brain away from the other way now though!

I pronounce it Dassak personally, with a silent z haha.

Gosha

:laughing: agreed

1 Like

Norkyna - Nokia
Delta - Delta Cancer
Circapous - Miley Cicrus

I kinda abbreviate them, and forget about spelling them that is a lost cause with me.

Serggy, Delta C. Boring, Bessy, Circa (first part Cir sound like the first part of the word circle then add a ka sound).

I generally just type the first three or four letters and haven’t been on hunts where I chatted so never had the fun of saying them in my weird way.

Is a fun thing to hear how others will call them. And not a making fun, just a good laugh because I know they would laugh at mine in enjoyment.

1 Like

Do peope say Antar 6 or Antar “we eye (VI)”? I personally say latter one.

:rofl: I generally drop the number. Hoochus is just Hoochus. Out of interest though, why we eye instead of vee eye?