Punishment for name shaming

When my son and I first started to play I came online and found that our settlement name had been changed. We followed the plots and saw that they went from our settlement to another one then to another one, connecting several small settlements back to one settlement.

I posted here and stated the name on the beacons, who then claimed it wasn’t their beacon, got PMs of stating I shouldn’t post their name as they hadn’t put the beacons down, someone had used their name. I had wrote it down and a couple of others had posted the name.

I didn’t know it was against the rules, I had just posted to find out who the person was and what to do. Told to file a report did so and then sent James a PM. I started to look for a new place, new planet and found one. Then started to tare the buildings down, I found another place to move to and was told that the plots were removed, that the player had been disciplined but not what was done and we were given our settlement name back. But the damage was done, I didn’t want to be there any more. Love where we are at now, the place is beautiful and the players in the settlement are fantastic.

All I know is that the person whose name was on the beacons is still playing but moved to another planet I think. I don’t remember his name and wouldn’t tell it if I did.

The only thing that got me was that I had read posts of him and another player trashing each other here on the forum, each blaming the other about the forced merge of their settlements.

I know that some gaming sites will post the name of the troll so that others know who they are and can watch out for them. But it has to be proven that they are a troll. I’m on the fence about it, in the case that ginabean had, I feel that others had the right to know who they were to watch out for them, but at the same time, we need to make sure that it isn’t done in spite to hurt a innocent player, so where do you draw the line?

As stated, we need a person whose job is to only take care of forum complaints and check out reports of griefing, trolling and other issues and make a decision on what to do.

1 Like

I think naming and shaming the people should be allowed so others can be more weary of the situation to make sure it doesn’t happen to no one else

3 Likes

There’s a reason that’s not allowed though. Sometimes there are two sides to a story. What if you “shame” and accuse a 6 year old kid that has parental controls on? They can’t see your PMs & have no idea anything is going on. You’ll think they are a malicious player that is ignoring you. There are also people new to MMOs or have only played local Minecraft. The Boundless plot system is new to most people.

(I’m not defending toxic trolls - they should def be dealt with)

4 Likes

Plus, we want people that are interested in the game and check out the forums to see a peaceful, helpful community and not a bunch of fighting and name calling.

4 Likes

I’m not talking about a plot system
I’m talking about in general, people who know what they are doing

1 Like

You mean like… jumping the fence on speed hunts maybe?

2 Likes

Sorry to be a noob here with non-native English. What is the exact meaning of the term “name shaming” in this game? I tried to look into translation dictionaries and found several meanings that are very far from what I would expects here. Please tell me, I don’t know what you are talking about.

1 Like

I can’t even imagine how overwhelming it must be for a smaller team, whose training and focus is on the technical side of things, to deal with the interpersonal maelstroms that must erupt… gives me a headache just to think of how frequent it must be with something of this nature really. I was a co-admin on a pretty busy football forum for years. That alone was almost like a full-time job, without having a whole MMO game attached to it! And I count myself lucky that I only made a few enemies and got a handful of hate mail… my buddy who founded the place fared way worse, since I got to be Good Cop.

Often there are just no easy answers or solutions, you can’t make everyone happy. You just do the best you can - and I can tell the devs here are doing that from all that I’ve seen. :slight_smile: Things sometimes fall through the cracks, you get blindsided by unanticipated situations, and things sometimes just have to get put on the backburner.

But absolutely, keep the naming and shaming off the board, communities that allow that quickly cannibalize themselves in my experience.

Naming and Shaming is the process in which someone does something that someone else doesn’t like so the “victim” tries to go public with who they are and what they have done to either bring light/awareness to the situation or to damage reputations.

Not a tactic that is seen as good in most instances.

Yes and opening portals on the platforms going to different planets to home beacons ect and destroying the hunt along with regen bombing whilst people are grappled to towers during a meteor.

1 Like

Not everyone can judge correctly when they think someone has done them wrong.
People can get fired up, jump to a conclusion and start lashing out when maybe the situation has been wrongly interpreted.
That’s why it’s important to let a more dispassionate third party have a look first, get facts from both sides and go from there.
Now, there cases where it’s clear cut and people being aggrieved against are totally in the right but there has to be one standard to fit all, and I think that’s fair.

It can seem ok to condemn those who you think are doing wrong until the occasion when someone mistakes your intentions and you end up being vilified for something you haven’t done.
Innocent before being proven guilty.

1 Like

I feel ya. Just not sure what anyone could do about that even if we knew who those people were. Not like you can just pack up every hunt as soon as they arrive. I guess it might make people feel better knowing who the jerk is, but probably not that much better.

It also might stop them doing it if people know who it is.
Imagining annoying over 40 people and being the person to cause the hunt to end…

1 Like

Have you told them to stop while you’re on a hunt? I’d tell them in chat. If they don’t, then take screenshots and report it.

1 Like

I guess I just assumed they’d keep on trolling and laugh at being able to consistently disband hunts by showing up. Maybe I don’t give the trolls enough credit. Maybe they’d stop if we shamed them. :shrug:

Or get receipts and report it so they can be dealt with.
Otherwise if they aren’t banned or dealt with they will go make an ALT account and keep trolling or go troll somebody else

1 Like

Is that kind of stuff actually reportable? Cause that would change things a lot. Sorry, I’m unfamiliar with what is and isn’t punishable behavior. I just know forum call-outs are a no-no.

1 Like

I think there was another forum discussion about people regen bombing the area during hunts and I think James said it is reportable

1 Like

If that’s true, then I can definitely record/report people who get too rude. Thanks for the tip, and I’ll see if I can dig up a post that confirms that before I go around video capturing trolls.

1 Like

Regen bombs on hunts might slow down now that bombs are clearly labeled. Some times it might have been someone thinking they selected their healing bombs.

Not saying there isn’t trolls regening the towers, but this is a good example of why we shouldn’t name and shame on the forums.

1 Like