Put the game on sale to bring in new players

Speculation based on ample evidence of how it went in the past with other games.

Minecraft costs more, looks worse, is way shallower and people still buy and play it. Price is not a problem, onboarding and people not knowing there is such a game as Boundless in the first place, is the problem.

Likely not, without turning the game into MTX nightmare designed to attract whales and get people who are less financially fortunate to seek other games.

Yeah, funny you would say that.

Played enough F2P MMOs to know that itā€™s not only likely, but seemingly par of the course.

Iā€™ve already said it, first do a sale on Steam to make people realize thereā€™s such thing as Boundless, then improve NPE shortly thereafter, then get big gaming channels like Markiplier, Vinesauce (all of Vinesauce, not just Vinny), MatPat, etc. and the game will start selling itself.

1 Like

Minecraft is 10USD cheaper, and yes I know there are ways to get Boundless keys for like 5USD but most normal people are not going to use 3rd party websites to do that.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s been on sale a couple of times.

Thatā€™s why it needs to be followed by improving NPE and getting big youtubers/streaming to play the game. Sale is only a short-term solution, as Iā€™ve said in the OP. Other steps need to be taken along with it. Again, played enough F2P games to see the pattern. Boundless and F2P simply does not mix.

1 Like

I think you have it backwards. Improve NPE, then do a relaunch event put the game on sale. But alsoā€¦ If youā€™re okay with people buying the game for $5, why arenā€™t you okay with people playing for free? If a new player only needs to spend $5 to be worth the conversion cost, then you donā€™t need aggressive monetization for F2P since a $5 average conversion isnā€™t even going to require whale exploitation.

4 Likes

Sales, by their very nature, are temporary and once critical mass of players is reached, people will keep buying the game, even when it returns to the original price. Also $5.99 is way too low, never said it was a good price point for a sale. Something along -20% tops is the way to go.

@Darkhog

We can go back and forth on out speculation all day and about Warframeā€¦ we can trade links and videos all day. Just play itā€¦ I have for years.

Warframe: Free to Play Done Right - WayTooManyGames

(1) Warframe - Free to play done right - YouTube

Warframe: The game that redefined ā€œfree-to-playā€ (sportskeeda.com)

Letā€™s be realā€¦ the game is able to be bought for $2.00 online. It doesnā€™t sell there or at any of the game sales on Steam or Humble Bundle. So people arent even reaching the NPE ā€¦ F2P is just a better option.

3 Likes

MTGA tried this, and it failed pretty hard. It takes quite a bit more then just youtubers playing it,

Fixing the NPE is a decent start, but there is so much more that is missing from the game to keep the players here for the long term. This game have a lot of potential and I do mean a lot, but most of it isnā€™t even being used at this time to be frank. If they fix that by adding a lot of new functional content, and not just new building blocks, then we might have something that might take off if done right.

2 Likes

Instead, why not try ethical monetization?

• Cosmetic MTX only
  • No RNG based MTX
  • Currency or MTX exchange market
  • Permanent battlepasses,
  • Never remove things, including battlepasses, from the store
  • Monthly purchase limits
4 Likes

Alsoā€¦ no very large streamer will stream the game sadlyā€¦ I have asked several toā€¦ I stream it and I know you do too @Darkhog itā€™s just not a fun game to watch ā€¦ and believe me I truly hate saying this as I stream it.

Streaming something like Apex Legends, Rust, etc. with lots of PVP is just more streamer-friendly. But I do feel itā€™s possible to attain a large audience with it as Minecraft has done it.

3 Likes

Battle passes are not ethical is my book, everything else you say is fine

Thereā€™s one thing Monumental can do what you or I canā€™t: They can PAY streamers and youtubers to play the game. And if they get someone who can make the most boring game the funniest thing ever, someone like DangerouslyFunny, CallMeKevin or TheSpiffingBrit to play the game, the popularity will only skyrocket.

An ethical battlepass, imo, is one that never leaves your account, is purchasable at any time after its release, and can be swapped out at any time without losing progress.

At that point, itā€™s just a delayed MTX that encourages engagement. If you disagree, Iā€™m definitely interested in understanding.

1 Like

WOTC paid moistcritikal to play MTGA if I recall the situation correctly. It didnā€™t have the intended effect WOTC wanted it to have at all. Again it takes a little bit more then just that.

2 Likes

Tried itā€¦ but Im not going to sit there and spend the amount of money it would take to MAKE them play it.

I have bought the game for a few streamers ā€¦ they tried it offline and didnā€™t want to play. Making them play it I suppose ā€¦ may give it some exposure, but the affect it would most likely have on the game ā€¦ is pretty sketchy at best.

Watched many a sponsored stream on games stuck around afterwards to watch the stream say how bad it wasā€¦ so go figure.

2 Likes

Except the streamers arenā€™t legally allowed to accept money for playing a game from people other than the official devs, not to mention what you offered to pay was probably too little.

Thatā€™s because Magic is a slog unworthy of attention and WOTC are bunch of IP bullies. Not the case with Boundless, at least the slog part.

I am fine with it as long as it doesnā€™t cause FOMO, every single battle pass I have seen, both the free and paid tracks, seems to create FOMO in some way or another to make the player feel pressured into doing things that player otherwise would not do.

I also feel that if a game is good, then it shouldnā€™t need battle passes, Players should want to play the game because of the game, if the progression of a battle pass is the main thing that is keeping players engaged, then the game haves bigger problems.

3 Likes

Hopefully you plan to make them sign a contract saying they will praise the game no matter what.

Actually, you know what, Iā€™m done engaging with you.
I have to assume youā€™re making arguments in bad faith based on this.

2 Likes

and that is subjective, the same could be said about boundless. I play MTG(A) every single day

WOTC is a bad company, there is no debating that.

1 Like