Put the game on sale to bring in new players

I’ll let @monty1 decide what he feels best… he has a lot more experience with what works given his background.

F2P pretty solid option if you ask me and that is coming from someone who hates F2P.

Done with the conversation though. Good luck with your streams … let me know next time you stream on Twitch I’ll shoot ya some bits. Like I have all the other Boundless streamers.

1 Like

I don’t think a battlepass is a good match for Boundless, but in games like Fall Guys, Halo, etc, where you aren’t working toward a larger goal, I find battlepasses to be a good way to want to keep playing. I enjoy the game, but without some meta goal I just… don’t want to log in. The Overwatch 1 coin system is good for that as well, though.

Put the game to xbox, bring in new players that way and maybe in the future, bring Nintendo on board. Get all platforms connected.

I also disagree with F2P because it will mean people can just easily make new accounts to annoy others with if they get banned or something. I do think a lower B2P price point with semi-regular free weekends would help a ton once the NPE is fixed, and definitely more cosmetics. I absolutely love cosmetics, I have like 15 mostly T3 pets in BDO - there’s a spreadsheet for what they do and what tier they are it’s that extreme, pretty much every fancy outfit for my witch. If there are good cosmetics I will buy them. I have the majority of the ones in Boundless I already like… and more than just more cosmetics, more cosmetic locations, like even if it’s just something like different underwear I’d probably buy it bc I’m super done with the rags, but necklaces, chest/back decorations bracelets, anklets (SHOES), just cosmetic me up plz.

2 Likes

As it is, anyone who is willing to stoop to something like that is probably also willing to buy keys from key resellers for $2.

1 Like

There are ways to try to combat this by having VM Detection and banning Device IDs. Which would mean the person would most likely need to build a new machine to play the game again. It isn’t perfect but it a lot more effort then most people are willing to put in, But anyone who is extremely dedicated to the cause is going to find a way.

The reseller keys haven’t worked out that bad.

They made the game free to play once. I suspect a lot of the people still posting here remember it.

I think we got a lot more griefers than (long-term) new players. It clearly didn’t help the stats for “left the sanctum” much less “reached level 10” or any of that.

If they implemented this I guess the number of existing players who would be excited to grab a new account or few would burn out on any mischief somewhat quickly. What do you think?

After that it’s just a low-quality filter for new players. I don’t know why someone would suggest doing this (and thus generating the negative stats and publicity) before attempting some NPE polish would be a good idea. Get them in and fix it later rarely works out that way. It does, but rarely.

“Drive them away now and we won’t have to fix it later” seems to be more of what’s happened with price promoting or severely cheapening the game. Also, how cheap can the game be made for PSN?

1 Like

I believe a free to play system can work. Look at Guild Wars 2 - A paid MMO where the core game is free. Maybe with limitations that encourage free to play players to buy the paid version. Somthing like:

• Free players beacons only last 2 weeks at a time
  • Free players have a maximum plot limit. They can continue buying additional plots with cubits but they cant place them until they buy the full version
  • Free players cant use global or trading chat (but can still talk locally)

Just 3 examples off the top of my head, you can limit free players without making the game feel play to win or making it grindy

3 Likes

Are you a developer or one of the Monument team, so that you know this is how it’s going to happen?
Or are you being a bit overly dramatic for shock effect?
I’ve seen some F2P models work very well. (Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, Runescape, EVE Online, Destiny 2, Albion Online, Genshin Impact)

2 Likes

I agree. When Boundless went on sale for $5, I contact all my gaming friends, offering free steam keys to play. Of the about 100 people I contacted, NO ONE wanted even a free key to the game.
So honestly a game sale isn’t going to do jack ■■■■.

They can do that now. Nothing stopping someone who’s determined from buying multiple keys and setting up multiple accounts to troll people…

2 Likes

When was this? how you buy the keys to a game for steam? I would buy 20 of them for $5 bucks and just post it on Twitter saying Join us & Become Boundless (Giving them out for free) Boop!

I have no friends other than me Boundless Family but I would help promote for Funsies Boop

2 Likes

Not this one in my opinion, F2P contributed to the destruction of EVE online as far as I am concerned. however skill injectors did more of that damage, along with other very questionable choices CCP made around that time and onward.

Albion is one I played that haves a decent F2P model thou.

check your inbox

Didn’t read the other replies but I can relate to this. In short, people’s attention to games and priorities in life change constantly. It is good to want to attract people but FOMO isn’t nice - to put it kindly. You reminded me of DRG (Deep Rock Galactic), a great game. They implemented seasons/battle pass style but with a catch, the stuff you don’t achieve is thrown back into the game in various ways. It keeps you motivated to play it when a season starts because then you can choose the stuff you want to unlock from the tree but if you don’t and you miss out on them, you still can get them randomly while playing. You can go back to the game knowing you missed nothing.

From DRG’s website:

Done this… no one really cares sadly. Gave them away on multiple social media accounts, forums, streams etc.

1 Like

Boundless is not a streamable game. Nobody wants to watch another player placing blocks or gathering materials for several hours.

You need a great personality that people are attracted to where the game itself is secondary to the personality and socializing. Is there a Pokemane in the house?

You might get some traction with the PVE elements but not enough for multiple streams given it’s pretty basic compared to more action-oriented video games

4 Likes

I predict that none of those things will happen if the game goes free-to-play. Boundless already has fantastic ways for engaged players to further monetize (e.g., buying cubits for personalization, gleam club for quality of life improvements, and fuel for sovereign/creative worlds). We just need to a) continue to invest in increasing the value and desirability of those things, and b) add a BUNCH of new players.

Statista reported that 91.8 million hours of Minecraft was watched on Twitch in August. I think Boundless is way more interesting to watch than Minecraft.

13 Likes

Thanks for the post, Darkhog.

We don’t plan on putting the game on sale. Instead we plan on permanently reducing the price (by quite a lot).

As Tiggs mentioned, we’re making sure that we understand what happens if a bunch of new players show up. We don’t want to introduce any risk for live operating the game - so we are spending the week asking questions and learning.

13 Likes

Well, when put in that context, then yes. But I’d argue that alot of people do tune in because of the personality and the community surrounding that particular player. There is also something to be said about herd mentalities where people naturally want to watch a game that is very popular. There’s a sort of inherent “social proof”, if you will.

Eg; “There must be something to this game if it’s that popular”

But I guess the only way to find out is to have Boundless grow to something similar in size and we can get a definitive answer :slight_smile:

Challenge accepted!

11 Likes